Egbunu Out For season – Torn ACL

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Egbunu has already burned is redshirt while transfering. This is an unfortunate injury for him.
He would get a medical redshirt if he is out until March of next season. Given his injury history it would be a given that he would get a 6th year, especially if he can't play at all next season. Alex Murphy got 6 years if I'm right, very similar situation injury duration wise

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
This is embarrassingly pathetic. And you call yourself a fan of UF basketball. It is particularly pathetic given your signon.

Gator Country is calling you name it seems lol. I was making light of a bad situation for us. Learn to laugh a little. I love that we have a guy of Rimmer's size as a walkon who wants to be a Gator. Doesn't mean I can't make fun of the fact out of his 20+ shots in the last year and a half...~80% have been blocked in all manners.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
He would get a medical redshirt if he is out until March of next season. Given his injury history it would be a given that he would get a 6th year, especially if he can't play at all next season. Alex Murphy got 6 years if I'm right, very similar situation injury duration wise

No he would not. He could seek one but there is no automatic redshirt. The time you most often get a 6th year is if you have had ONE injury that costs you a season of play. I guess he could petition since he is missing 5 games and the post season this year and maybe some fraction of next season.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
No he would not. He could seek one but there is no automatic redshirt. The time you most often get a 6th year is if you have had ONE injury that costs you a season of play. I guess he could petition since he is missing 5 games and the post season this year and maybe some fraction of next season.
He is a redshirt junior this year.

2016-17- Redshirt Junior
2017-18- Redshirt Senior (missing the whole year most likely
2018-19- 6th Year Senior would almost be assured due to missing a month plus in 2015 and all of next season (2017-18) with his current ACL tear

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well, this sucks!

Alas, hope springs eternal in the form of baseball

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hate to see a piece of the D puzzle missing... especially we be clicking and heading toward the bring everything you got madness come March. As a person, I hope you find your resolve and live the dream big man. Go Gators!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Gator Country is calling you name it seems lol. I was making light of a bad situation for us. Learn to laugh a little. I love that we have a guy of Rimmer's size as a walkon who wants to be a Gator. Doesn't mean I can't make fun of the fact out of his 20+ shots in the last year and a half...~80% have been blocked in all manners.

Were the criticims of this guy not so over the top, it would not be so necessary to respond. And of course you are at it again. Rimmer has made 20 of 45 shots he has taken at UF making it arithmetically impossible that "~80% have been blocked in all manners."

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/schuyler-rimmer-1.html

BTW, have you heard of this guy who once played for UF. His name was Lee Humphrey. Donovan famously said he was among his best defenders. That was a bit of coach hyperbole. Humphrey was a solid defender who was generally in the right spot and rotated well. Humphrey was also not very athletic and so big guards could make him look lost defensively.

Well that is who Rimmer is defensively too. He gets in good position. An athletic guy his size or bigger can beat him around the rim. Rimmer blocks out well, but may get few rebounds than Egbunu. I would not be surprised to see the rebound numbers of guys like Robinson and Hayes go up with Rimmer in the game blocking out the opponents big.

Rather than being so over the top, you could fairly criticize Rimmer's weaknesses as I have and fairly hope that White can empasize his strengths that do exist.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Were the criticims of this guy not so over the top, it would not be so necessary to respond. And of course you are at it again. Rimmer has made 20 of 45 shots he has taken at UF making it arithmetically impossible that "~80% have been blocked in all manners."

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/schuyler-rimmer-1.html

BTW, have you heard of this guy who once played for UF. His name was Lee Humphrey. Donovan famously said he was among his best defenders. That was a bit of coach hyperbole. Humphrey was a solid defender who was generally in the right spot and rotated well. Humphrey was also not very athletic and so big guards could make him look lost defensively.

Well that is who Rimmer is defensively too. He gets in good position. An athletic guy his size or bigger can beat him around the rim. Rimmer blocks out well, but may get few rebounds than Egbunu. I would not be surprised to see the rebound numbers of guys like Robinson and Hayes go up with Rimmer in the game blocking out the opponents big.

Rather than being so over the top, you could fairly criticize Rimmer's weaknesses as I have and fairly hope that White can empasize his strengths that do exist.

1. Chill out
2. Did you really think the 80% number was accurate...lol
3. Lee Humphrey was one of the best perimeter defenders ever here...its an insult for him to be compared at all to Rimmer defensively. That's like saying I could beat Michael Jordan in a game to 21
4. Rimmer just this year has looked like playing Stone at center might be a better idea. Tuesday he was out of position repeatedly and could not contest shots from even small guards
5. I have acknowledged Rimmer has some plus side in terms of being in position and FTs
6. If a little joking gets you bent out of shape...make sure you don't say a bad word about a player ever...
7. Man you sound like the guy that banned me from Gator Country
8. It's a little joking....chill out man
9. I wasn't over the top and I think most on here would agree
10-100. Do yourself a favor and try to make a realistic comparison and not insult a Gator great.

Rimmer compares to Kurtz plain and simple. Both unathletic but in good position. Both can't defend due to a crazy athletic disadvantage, which will be taken advantage of by other teams unless we gameplan around it...which I have mentioned. Kurtz was better offensively and rebounded better, while Rimmer has the size that can at least make others work for a shot and rebound (as long as he is in position).

Again, I love that we have Rimmer on the team. I was having a bit of fun at our crappy situation, keeps me from going crazy lol

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Rimmer has terrible hands, terrible instincts, he's slow to help on defense, and when he does, he's like one of the Looney Tunes guarding the Monstars. He can't handle the ball, his moves to the rim would make a sloth look like the Flash in comparison, and he's white.

That said, he shoots free throws well!

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Had a really bad feeling as soon as I saw the replay of his injury last night. Sucks something awful, but it's a great chance for Hayes to step up and become a man.

I'm no doctor, but I knew. I just thought it was an LCL and not an ACL.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I'm no doctor, but I knew. I just thought it was an LCL and not an ACL.
I did as well, but with them letting him test jump on the knee and not being in much pain after the game...I hoped it was just a sprain

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Rimmer has terrible hands, terrible instincts, he's slow to help on defense, and when he does, he's like one of the Looney Tunes guarding the Monstars. He can't handle the ball, his moves to the rim would make a sloth look like the Flash in comparison, and he's white.

That said, he shoots free throws well!

This. All of this.

Only positive is that he is big. I'd take Kurtz over Rimmer in a heartbeat.

I'm sure Rimmer is a good dude and I have nothing against him, but he's just not a D1 caliber player. That said, hope he proves me wrong (or Stone gets time at the 5).

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
2. Did you really think the 80% number was accurate...lol
3. Lee Humphrey was one of the best perimeter defenders ever here...its an insult for him to be compared at all to Rimmer defensively. That's like saying I could beat Michael Jordan in a game to 21
4. Rimmer just this year has looked like playing Stone at center might be a better idea. Tuesday he was out of position repeatedly and could not contest shots from even small guards
5. I have acknowledged Rimmer has some plus side in terms of being in position and FTs

9. I wasn't over the top and I think most on here would agree
10-100. Do yourself a favor and try to make a realistic comparison and not insult a Gator great.

Rimmer compares to Kurtz plain and simple. Both unathletic but in good position. Both can't defend due to a crazy athletic disadvantage, which will be taken advantage of by other teams unless we gameplan around it...which I have mentioned. Kurtz was better offensively and rebounded better, while Rimmer has the size that can at least make others work for a shot and rebound (as long as he is in position).

Again, I love that we have Rimmer on the team. I was having a bit of fun at our crappy situation, keeps me from going crazy lol

Let's see:

2. It is hard to know when you engage in equal hyperbole below

3-4. Lee Humphrey was an unathletic short 2 guard who was not a great defender whether you like it or not and no matter what a coach said. Look at UF's game at Mississippi State in 2007. MSU had big athletic guards that they used to exploit UF's short guards. If you do not understand that weakness of the back to back teams, then you really are not a critical anaylist or don't understand basketball.

5. Yeah you "sounded" like a real "sincere" fan of Rimmer when talking about his FT shooting.

9. That most agree here is why I felt even more compelled to respond. Group think is not necessarily correct.

10-100 and below. Let's look at the facts:

Humphrey was 6'2" tall at best 192 lbs competing with SGs who range from 6'1" to 6'5"+ and many are 200 lbs+
Kurtz was a 6'6" tall at best 210 lbs competing with SF/PFs who range from 6'6" to 6'8"+ and many are 230 lbs +
Rimmer is 6'10" tall 245 lbs competing with Cs who range from 6'8" or 6'9" to 7" and range in weight from 220ish up.

So Humphrey was an undersized scholarship SG who made up for it with smart play and great shooting. Kurtz was a pure walkon undersized forward. Rimmer is a center with the size and weight to play center. It is more hyperbole on your part to call Rimmer Kurtz. Rimmer is unathletic, but he is a scholarship quality big man and UF should as you say at the end of your rant:

"Again, I love that we have Rimmer on the team. I was having a bit of fun at our crappy situation, keeps me from going crazy..."

and I agree. I just think it is only fair to Rimmer to recognize his positive aspects. That is not an insult to Lee Humphrey as you should understand, if you know basketball.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Let's see:

2. It is hard to know when you engage in equal hyperbole below

3-4. Lee Humphrey was an unathletic short 2 guard who was not a great defender whether you like it or not and no matter what a coach said. Look at UF's game at Mississippi State in 2007. MSU had big athletic guards that they used to exploit UF's short guards. If you do not understand that weakness of the back to back teams, then you really are not a critical anaylist or don't understand basketball.

5. Yeah you "sounded" like a real "sincere" fan of Rimmer when talking about his FT shooting.

9. That most agree here is why I felt even more compelled to respond. Group think is not necessarily correct.

10-100 and below. Let's look at the facts:

Humphrey was 6'2" tall at best 192 lbs competing with SGs who range from 6'1" to 6'5"+ and many are 200 lbs+
Kurtz was a 6'6" tall at best 210 lbs competing with SF/PFs who range from 6'6" to 6'8"+ and many are 230 lbs +
Rimmer is 6'10" tall 245 lbs competing with Cs who range from 6'8" or 6'9" to 7" and range in weight from 220ish up.

So Humphrey was an undersized scholarship SG who made up for it with smart play and great shooting. Kurtz was a pure walkon undersized forward. Rimmer is a center with the size and weight to play center. It is more hyperbole on your part to call Rimmer Kurtz. Rimmer is unathletic, but he is a scholarship quality big man and UF should as you say at the end of your rant:

"Again, I love that we have Rimmer on the team. I was having a bit of fun at our crappy situation, keeps me from going crazy..."

and I agree. I just think it is only fair to Rimmer to recognize his positive aspects. That is not an insult to Lee Humphrey as you should understand, if you know basketball.

I stopped reading when you kept trying to say Humphrey wasn't a good defender. You can't stop everyone every game. Humphrey was one of the greatest outside defenders we have ever had. I am done going into this because your comparisons are not even in the same universe. You just keep digging yourself a bigger whole. I would take Lee Humphrey over every player currently on our team defensively

Rimmer is not good. Can he get better...yes. Will he...who knows. Hopefully Coach has a plan in place and gets him and the team ready to play

Edit: I read the bottom part of your post lol. Rimmer is just a bigger version of Kurtz. Both are PF, with almost the same skills

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hate this for the player and the team. It is hard to say how it will effect them mentally, but from a personell standpoint, it will hurt more on the defensive end and in rebounding. However offensively, it should increase Mike's need to create much more movement on offense. Even with Hayes resting, they are long enough to get into the paint, yet agile enough to be in constant motion on offense. I actually like Rimmer in small doses, b/c he knows where he is supposed to be and what his responsibilities are. I am in no way saying this is a positive for the team, it is not, but there is enough out there, especially offensively to be more than competitive. It does take away a rim protector so defensively the team is going to have to be much more disciplined.
I hate it when you actually have a point! :bananawave:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This. All of this.

Only positive is that he is big. I'd take Kurtz over Rimmer in a heartbeat.

I'm sure Rimmer is a good dude and I have nothing against him, but he's just not a D1 caliber player. That said, hope he proves me wrong (or Stone gets time at the 5).
I'll never forgive kurtz for scoring the game winning basket for fsu. That basterd

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Stone was playing pretty good when egbunu was out earlier in the year. We're gonna miss egbunu's muscle in the paint on both ends. It's gonna hurt not being able to dump it down to egbunu a couple times a game. But stone is gonna be able to stretch the floor. He's got good hands so he'll be able to finish instead of bobbling alot of the passes that eggs and hayes do. It's a big loss but this a pretty deep team.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
We're fücked and that's all there is to it.

Wow, are you serious? The reason to have depth is so the lost of no single player is devastating.

Will it hurt UF's chances. Sure. Will UF have less depth, sure but center is the position UF had the most depth. Will guys have to step up. Of course. UF had a good rotation of 10 players. Now UF has 9 players unless Rimmer can step up. Could those 9 players each play 2 minutes more a game? If so that would replace most of Egbunu's minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.