Eight greatest SEC football stars ever

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Johnny Manziel? right.

The order is all fvkked up too and as usual there is an incredible recency bias.

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
This might be blasphemy, but to not have Herschel #1 is idiotic. NOT EVEN CLOSE! He should have won the Heisman all three years....he was the best RB EVER. Power and speed.

Peyton number 1? Are you freaking kidding me?? He went 0-4 against his biggest rival!!! He doesn't even make my Top Ten. I would put his old man before him!

Where are the defensive players???? Reggie White? Derrick Thomas?

This list is sooo flawed.

My top 8:

Herschel
Bo
Tebow
Reggie White
Derrick Thomas
Emmitt
Danny
Jon Hannah

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Peyton at #1....and didn't win a Heisman and back-doored into the SEC title once?

Manziel was a dynamic player, but he's far from the top 8 all-time. Hell, Shane Matthews has more of a right to that spot than he does w/ 2 SEC POY's and 2 SEC titles.

Agree w/ Law, too many recent names. But a good list nonetheless.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
What are the criteria? Just college? Does pro ball count? I mean obviously pro ball does not count b/c Tebow and Manziel are on the list, which would mean Peyton should NOT be. His father, Archie was a better college player than Peyton was. Billy Cannon? One of the top 4 players in conference history. It is impossible to measure any besides offensive skill players, but this list is laughable!

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Johnny Manziel? right.

The order is all fvkked up too and as usual there is an incredible recency bias.

Amen.

I’d have Tebow at the top, Herschel maybe next. He was much more dominant than Bo. No way does Payton with his one SEC ring rank ahead of Danny with his 4 & NC.

One caveat: It doesn’t say best SEC players but biggest stars, which is more subjective and could include baseball, insurance commercials, billboard space on the forehead, etc. But then Emmitt belongs ahead of all the other RBs. NFL all-time leader & Super Bowls.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My Top 8 - Tebow, Wuerffel, Herschel, Bo, Derrick Thomas, Emmitt, Archie, Reggie White.

3 alternates - Spurrier, Cannon, and Sullivan.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Top 8 SEC Basketball players - Shaq, Maravich, Barkley, Nique, Noah, Horford, Issel, Bernard King.

3 alternates - Unibrow, Mashburn, and Chris Jackson.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Bad list, but:

2. Fort Walton Beach, FLORIDA
5. St. Augustine, FLORIDA
7. Pensacola, FLORIDA

might even hint at a recruiting strategy for a program like UF?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The list loses all credibility with Manziel's name on it.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The list loses all credibility with Manziel's name on it.

Actually as other have pointed out, the list loses all credibility with P.Manning number 1. Another thing that kills its credibility much more than Manziel's name is Cam Newton who played one season in the SEC and attempted less than 300 passes in his SEC career. There are tons of players who were better in the SEC for a more sustained period than Cam "Cheater" Newton, for example Rex Grossman. But that is recency bias for you.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Herschel, Tebow, Thomas, Wuerffel, Emmitt, Bo, Lee Roy Jordan, Newton, Cannon, White
Anyone on this list had the "Oh, crap!" factor...you always knew that guy could beat you.

Manning never beat us, never got a Natty, never got The Statue. No Top Ten for you!

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Newton and Manziel make the list bogus....

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I hate to admit it but Herschel is #1. I've seen the rest, most in person. He's the best.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
1) Tebow
2) Hushul
3) Danny
4) Emmitt
5) Bo
6) Wilbur
7) Lomas
8) McGrew

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Putting Peyton on there means Emmitt is #1 if you count the NFL. But the real list begins with Herschel and Timmy. After that pick em. I put Danny over Peyton just compare the rings and hardware, even the stats. Rex was robbed of his Heisman and probably has a national title if the God's had cooperated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator