Recruiting Elite 11 QBs assess UF commit Jake Allen

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Some good comments about our 2017 QB commit Jake Allen:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/elite-11-quarterbacks-assess-florida-commit-jake-allen

BEAVERTON, Ore. — Whether it’s coaches, fellow recruits or even future rivals, Florida commit Jake Allen has a way of winning people over.

Last month, the 4-star quarterback from St. Thomas Aquinas High School (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) competed in the Elite 11 finals, an annual competition for the top QBs in the nation. Allen impressed Trent Dilfer and George Whitfield Jr. at the camp, and he finished third in the Elite 11 pro day contest.

Allen, one of 24 quarterbacks who competed, didn’t place in the top 12 and earn an invite to The Opening, Nike’s annual football camp for elite recruits. But the signal-callers who did make it there spoke highly of the future Gator.

Alabama QB commit Tua Tagovailoa (Elite 11 MVP): “Jake is an enthusiastic guy. That’s probably one of my best friends I made at this camp. He’s just a funny, lovable guy. He’s awesome, man. He’s not only a vocal leader, but he can spread the ball out. He has a great arm. Florida is lucky to get someone like him. I think he’s going to do something special. With his leadership and talent, he’s a pro-style (Tim) Tebow.”

Georgia QB commit Jake Fromm: “Jake is a great QB but a great guy as well. I ended up rooming with him. I thought it was kind of funny because of the Florida-Georgia rivalry. We didn’t pull any pranks on each other, though. But he’s someone I’ll have to compete against for the next four years, and I’ll enjoy it. He’s very knowledgeable. He can read defensive coverages and knows where to go with the ball.”

LSU QB commit Myles Brennan: “Jake is accurate and precise. He’s big and has a powerful arm. He goes through his progressions. He’s an all-around great quarterback. I spent a lot of time with him because he was in my group the whole time. He was always leading our group. Him and I became really close. I think there’s big things to come for him. He’ll be in a great system at Florida and I hope to see him on Saturdays.”

Ohio State QB commit Tate Martell: “Jake’s a great player. I’ve been around him a lot, going to Steve Clarkson’s camp and then at the Elite 11. I have nothing but respect for him. He can gel with all his guys on the field pretty fast, and that’s a good strength for him to have. As a quarterback, he’s an accurate passer that can deliver the ball on time. He’s also consistent. I have no doubt he can make an impact at Florida.”

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He's like Grier without the baggage. I'd say he reads defenses better than Grier did but Grier was more athletic.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Being really "athletic" (which usually means fast of foot) is only essential if the brain isn't fast enough to get the ball out on time to the right guy.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Would be nice to have a great QB again. It's seems like it's been a loooooong time.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Whether it’s coaches, fellow recruits or even future rivals, Florida commit Jake Allen has a way of winning people over

Two things I take away from the article - first, why the heck can't he be one of the best (not selected for e11), but second is that we have a true leader. Consider a QB camp or competition - ALL of them are used to be their team leader, to step up and hold the group together in a productive manner. And Jake seems to be doing that anywhere he goes. Not coming in as a starter should prove interesting on how his 'leadership' can be developed for when he does take the reigns.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I hope he turns out to be the real deal but I can't get too excited about comments from other QB's that are basically taking turns gushing about each other with the same comments and adjectives.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
Would be nice to have a great QB again. It's seems like it's been a loooooong time.
Yep. Let's bring a bunch and let them compete. Even adding Jake next year, our QB cupboard won't exactly be full (or the QB cup overflowing). Really need to bring in a quality QB every year. Back in the glory days SOS brought in a lot of highly touted QBs. Most didn't pan out which is how always works. There's only one starting QB slot at a time.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Isn't he playing for a State Championship on Friday night?
I know he has a lot of talent around him, but that talent still needs someone to lead them. I'm hopeful that Jake's step back in performance between his Junior and Senior years can be addressed and corrected. I'm assuming he's an EE candidate as well, which would be great, but don't know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.