Emory Jones Progress

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Three things I'm pretty sure of:

1) Franks isn't getting any better.
2) EJ is the only real hope for creating spark this season, and if ever there was a desperate time for it, this is it. The 2019 recruiting class is largely dependent on SOMETHING good happening this season.
3) If I'm Mullen, I want to keep the spotlight off my talented freshman. I'm going to do and say just about anything to lead the media and fans astray while I secretly groom him for the inevitable.

Mullen and Jones. Their UF lives are forever linked.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Three things I'm pretty sure of:

1) Franks isn't getting any better.
2) EJ is the only real hope for creating spark this season, and if ever there was a desperate time for it, this is it. The 2019 recruiting class is largely dependent on SOMETHING good happening this season.
3) If I'm Mullen, I want to keep the spotlight off my talented freshman. I'm going to do and say just about anything to lead the media and fans astray while I secretly groom him for the inevitable.

Mullen and Jones. Their UF lives are forever linked.

If #1 leads to a KY loss like it almost did last season then we may see Jones starting real early in the season.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
We've either gotta throw Franks/Trask out there or put Emory out there to just get eaten alive. Our three biggest rivals in the East have really good DCs as HCs now. Pruitt, Muschamp & Smart. When I think about our QB play this upcoming year I really lose a lot of hope. As much talent as we have out there, it's just gonna get wasted because the most important position on the team sucks so much.
Maybe Franks surprises us?

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
I get it, but this is getting old. I know....they need to show it on the field. But so does about 3 or 4 other position groups.

We have 5 returning starters....and a 6th who has made several starts. We have a couple of 4-stars (TJ Moore & Delance) who competed in spring ball and a high 4-star true freshman arriving (Gouraige).

We have an OL coach who has proven he can 1) coach in the SEC 2) develop OL's 3) make a good OL out of 2 and 3 star players (which he did at MSU).

We have a S&C program this year. The last 3 years we had the equivalent of a lesbian HS gym coach putting our players through stretches and high rep/low weight lifting exercise.

We aren't winning the SEC this year. But we can damn sure show up on Saturday and put a quality product on the field, can't we?

The combination of 1) experience/a year older 2) a "real" OL coach, and 3) a 'real' S&C program should lead to noticeable improvement.

I'm not as worried about the OL, especially if Heggie comes back healthy.

I'm worried about what Law keeps talking about; Mullen forcing Franks to look like Leak did in 2005. I'm hoping EJ wins the job and we don't have to deal with Franks. It's good to hear he's making progress.
THIS
I've read a few articles/threads talking about how Hevesy had to break things down into the most basic parts when he came in. Simple technique items, more advanced blocking strategies, etc. Didn't get much into the system/OL group scheme philosophies. If these guys work on the techniques he fed them in spring ball (as well as continue to work like dogs in the weight room) there's probably a good chance that this could be the most improved position group on the team (which, I'll admit, ain't saying much considering where they started off).

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I too believed EJ would start by UGA. I now believe it will be sooner. Franks will start but EJ will get early reps. He will do a couple of electrifying things in the early cupcake games to justify more playing time. As he gets more time early he will show he is a freshman but he will also show that he needs to be on the field. He may be the starter by LSU or Vandy.

I also think Franks will be better than most assume. Or I should say...better than last year. He will not be good enough to hold down the starting job but I think he can allow us 5-7 games to get EJ better prepared and some graduated exposure.

The key to our 2nd half of the season will be how ready EJ is.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I also think Franks will be better than most assume. Or I should say...better than last year.
People forget that his coaches were McNussdrunk and Heehaw.

Can you imagine an already challenged QB trying to understand?

So, it's one of these kinda deals where... ya know, you gotta check the safety kind deal and yet... you know... then just... you know... play your tails off, cause I love you guys... and yet... you are dead fish... at winn dixie.... how exciting are dead fish... Fvkk it, let's punt.

The good news is that as big of an azzhole as Mullins is, he isn't a moron, and we will never have to hear anything like this again:

Last edited:

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I cringe and hear that coming from Mac as the 'strength of the offense' or whatever he said to start last year.

They can only go up from last year, amirite?
Dear God I hope so. I guess not having a line would technically be worse?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well he did adjust a lot in 2012 by not running the starting QB hardly at all
We didn't run much with Leak on the field either, but he called option plays and Leak and Tyler Russell just read "give" every play. That isn't the same thing.

Here is one of the few (full) games I can find on youtube for 2012 Cowbell vs the terrible defense of ATM.

His run game just doesn't work without a running QB. The only exception I recall is when he just switched completely to I formation stuff with Latsko at FB. I don't see any indication we are thinking about that.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We didn't run much with Leak on the field either, but he called option plays and Leak and Tyler Russell just read "give" every play. That isn't the same thing.

Here is one of the few (full) games I can find on youtube for 2012 Cowbell vs the terrible defense of ATM.

His run game just doesn't work without a running QB. The only exception I recall is when he just switched completely to I formation stuff with Latsko at FB. I don't see any indication we are thinking about that.

Yep it appears he isn't planning on using a FB hardly. Trying to figure out how it won't be a disaster against a decent defense since unlike Russell Franks can't throw short and intermediate stuff good at all.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yep it appears he isn't planning on using a FB hardly. Trying to figure out how it won't be a disaster against a decent defense since unlike Russell Franks can't throw short and intermediate stuff good at all.

I really don't want our offense to look anything like Cowbell 2012. That team was terrible.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
I bet we end up running a two back set a bunch, now whether the other back is a blocker or Toney.... The qb will need to change their 3 count to a 1.5-2 count in order to survive. But maybe that is too much to ask, sort of like not running out of bounds behind the line

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I bet we end up running a two back set a bunch, now whether the other back is a blocker or Toney.... The qb will need to change their 3 count to a 1.5-2 count in order to survive. But maybe that is too much to ask, sort of like not running out of bounds behind the line

We may not use a "fullback" much, but they moved Raymond to "TE"....and he appears to be 2nd on the depth chart - and probably 1st when it's a running play. He'll likely motion a lot and be behind the G or Tackle when the ball is snapped....and he'll take out a LB or DE. (BTW, I love that kid! He's the hardest working/toughest walk-on I've seen on our roster in years).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We may not use a "fullback" much, but they moved Raymond to "TE"....and he appears to be 2nd on the depth chart - and probably 1st when it's a running play. ).
Potentially very good news. To me he has always been the most likely to perform a Latsko type roll.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Potentially very good news. To me he has always been the most likely to perform a Latsko type roll.

Another thing; we KNOW they aren't throwing him the ball when he's in the game. Which, as I recall from the 2005-2006 era, was very common w/ this offense (i.e. if Kenneth Tookes was on the field, it was very, very likely it was a running play).

leogator

May 5, 2018
Another thing; we KNOW they aren't throwing him the ball when he's in the game. Which, as I recall from the 2005-2006 era, was very common w/ this offense (i.e. if Kenneth Tookes was on the field, it was very, very likely it was a running play).
Don't be surprised if we do. Just keep the defense honest. He won't be the only TE that will help in the running game.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
People forget that his coaches were McNussdrunk and Heehaw?

Can you imagine an already challenged QB trying to understand?

So, it's one of these kinda deals where... ya know, you gotta check the safety kind deal and yet... you know... then just... you know... play your tails off, cause I love you guys... and yet... you are dead fish... at winn dixie.... how exciting are dead fish... Fvkk it, let's punt.

The good news is that as big of an azzhole as Mullins is, he isn't a moron, and we will never have to hear anything like this again:

If I had listened to Mac's press conferences, I would never have been a pumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator