ESPN analyst Tom Luginbill: Florida a QB away from CFP

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
ESPN analyst Tom Luginbill: Florida a QB away from CFP

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/espn-analyst-tom-luginbill-florida-qb-away-cfp/

Florida will begin the season ranked No. 16 in the Coaches Poll.

But ESPN’s Tom Luginbill thinks the Gators could be in the College Football Playoff committee’s final four if Jim McElwain’s squad gets improved play from one key position.

Luginbill was on “The Paul Finebaum Show” Monday when he called the Gators a potential playoff team if a quarterback emerges.

View image on Twitter
DGppn-VXUAEAsa-.jpg:small

Follow
Paul Finebaum

✔@finebaum

"If Florida emerges with a QB I'm telling you right now that is a @CFBPlayoff roster" - @TomLuginbill

3:37 PM - Aug 7, 2017

Florida’s offense struggled last season with Luke Del Rio and Austin Appleby splitting time at the position. Del Rio missed significant time due to multiple injuries and did not participate in spring practice. As spring practice came to a close, redshirt freshman Feleipe Franks had distanced himself from Kyle Trask and was acknowledged as the leader to land the starting job. Former Malik Zaire, a dual-threat quarterback, transferred and joined the team in June.

In the past, Luginbill has doubted Zaire’s ability to learn the playbook. Franks, a 4-star prospect in the 2016 class, has the size (6-foot-5, 227 pounds) and strong arm typical of a pocket-passing quarterback. With many of the team’s starters returning at at offensive line, running back and wide receiver, the quarterback position is thought to be the only thing holding back Florida on offense.

Luginbill’s ESPN colleagues Phil Steele and Trevor Matich have made similar comments recently.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It would still be tough to beat the SEC West winner and you would have to do that to get in most likely. Not sure if we are ready yet to hang with Bama or to beat Auburn even with how it looks like that new QB might play.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Meanwhile, Michigan fans continue to give us no credit and say we have no chance against a "Don Brown Defense"

I remember a game where the opponents came in thinking they'd get the NC handed to them. Our Gators showed em different. They'll do it again.
:chomp:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I/m getting excited thinking about the possibility of laying the wood on the West winner....

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I/m getting excited thinking about the possibility of laying the wood on the West winner....

Coach Mac said we're going to bust the door down this year. Go ahead and book your tickets.:grin:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bamma has a history of getting beat by a mobile QB!

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Ya' think Mac wants to beat Bama? Uh..yeah, I think so.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
He either doesn't see the potential holes in our defense or he just thinks our offense will take off. A playoff contender, I just can't see it, I'm sorry. Maybe in 2019, but this year, no. Too many questions. Then again I could be waaaaay off in my thinking, I know Steele as well as these other " experts " seem to potentially see big things from Florida this year if a QB emerges. I hope their right, but I'll believe it when I witness it. God it would be nice to unseat Bama and take our place back atop the SEC where we belong!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So weird. Ive certainly never known ESPN to pimp teams ahead of a game just to increase viewership.

It must be something else.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
So weird. Ive certainly never known ESPN to pimp teams ahead of a game just to increase viewership.

It must be something else.

Well aren't they desperate these days? I've seen in the news lately how poorly they're doing in the ratings and have been laying off a ton of employees.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
2014 Bama #1 FSU #4 Gators #8
2015 Bama #2 FSU #3 Gators #23
2016 Bama #1 FSU #2 Gators #14
2017 Bana #1 FSU #5 Gators #9

Bama Average 1.25
FSU Average 3.5
Gators Average 13.5

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Bamma has a history of getting beat by a mobile QB!

True. Not saying were ready to dominate Bammer, but if Ole Piss can pull the upset on them......No reason that UF couldn't do the same.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I remember a game where the opponents came in thinking they'd get the NC handed to them. Our Gators showed em different. They'll do it again.

Hey Meatchicken, come get some with your 21 new starters............

f994830a58a50dffdf066afc07106dcb.jpg

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't disagree with that assessment. If we can actually get solid play, no drama, no suspensions, no injuries from a QB we might could do it. Nothing has seemed the same since the Missouri game in '15, Grier's last game. It's almost like it put a FUNK on the whole program. No QB play, crappy play calling, etc. I go back and watch that Ole Piss tape from time to time. That was a totally different team and staff. Don't have a lot of trust in LDR or Franks at this point. Zaire, we'll see and fingers crossed. We may have to wait for Corral.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
2014 Bama #1 FSU #4 Gators #8
2015 Bama #2 FSU #3 Gators #23
2016 Bama #1 FSU #2 Gators #14
2017 Bana #1 FSU #5 Gators #9

Bama Average 1.25
FSU Average 3.5
Gators Average 13.5
Clearly we have really rebuilt the team to brick by brick standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator