Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Looking forward to watching it.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;14605 said:
Urban Meyer is a better football coach than SOS.
I am thankful for the years Meyer gave is. But I do not think Meyer is as stable as SOS was. Meyer was 7-5 in his last year here, and we looked like we were on our way down. I'm sure he would have brought us back up eventually like he is doing at Ohio State, but I would prefer to have Spurrier.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
JC_Gator said:
WobbleGator;14605 said:
I am thankful for the years Meyer gave is. But I do not think Meyer is as stable as SOS was. Meyer was 7-5 in his last year here, and we looked like we were on our way down. I'm sure he would have brought us back up eventually like he is doing at Ohio State, but I would prefer to have Spurrier.
8-5, 7-6 was 2011 under Muschamp.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
JC_Gator said:
WobbleGator;14605 said:
You are correct. I for some reason thought we were 7-6 both seasons.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n14605 said:

Meyer benefited byTenn and FSU having down years when he was here. FSU was on an unmatched run in history during Spurrier's years as a top 5 team and Tenn was usually top 10 those years.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n14605 said:
Wobs, that might be the dumbest thing you've ever said...and that's no easy task.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator said:
It would be interesting to see by what standards and traits you have determined this. Now I think that your assistants and ability to recruit are critical to managing a program and being the head coach. As football coaches SOS is in the 1% of offensive minds. Urban is not anywhere near close. So by my evaluation SOS is the better football coach. He might not be the recruiter, or motivator that Urban is.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I am reminded of something once said of Don Shula. He can beat you with his guys, or he could beat you with your guys. It was a different time and having talent stored up from previous bad coaches at the Dolphins made it possible, but Shula was one of the best of his time. Sort of like SOS in college.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n14672 said:
Meyer benefited byTenn and FSU having down years when he was here. FSU was on an unmatched run in history during Spurrier's years as a top 5 team and Tenn was usually top 10 those years.
SOS benefited from facing a down LSU and uga every year.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Stephen Orr Spurrier is one of the greatest coaches in CFB history. Meyer is well on his way for sure. Let me know when Meyer gets to 219 wins, we'll talk.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n14735 said:
SOS benefited from facing a down LSU and uga every year.

True about LSU but they weren't like FSU was those years for the most part and Georgia was decent some of those Spurrier years.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n14741 said:
True about LSU but they weren't like FSU was those years for the most part and Georgia was decent some of those Spurrier years.
Hell, the SEC as a whole was weaker when SOS was our coach than when Meyer was.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer has yet to prove he can sustain a program. When/if he does, then maybe he can be compared to SOS. Until then, he's just a good coach, but certainly not a HOFer.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n14749 said:
Meyer has yet to prove he can sustain a program. When/if he does, then maybe he can be compared to SOS. Until then, he's just a good coach, but certainly not a HOFer.
Meyer is easily a HOFer already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.