ESPN Film on Steve Spurrier

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
WTF? Those last two posts of mine triggered an error message, hence why I re-posted. Did someone forget to feed the hamster?

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;14801 said:
95 was only one year. What is your excuse for the other years? Also, how many undefeated regular seasons did SOS have at UF? The answer is zero. Meyer had at least one.
Spurrier had an undefeated regular season in 1995.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Somerhing's screwed up here.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
SOS and Meyer won nearly exactly the same percentage of games at UF with the slightest edge going to Spurrier. But Spurrier coached before we added a 1AA cupcake to the schedule every year.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex said:
I am reminded of something once said of Don Shula. He can beat you with his guys, or he could beat you with your guys. It was a different time and having talent stored up from previous bad coaches at the Dolphins made it possible, but Shula was one of the best of his time. Sort of like SOS in college.
John Madden quote, very true about Spurrier also

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
[quote name=''78' timestamp='1405551959']Spurrier took over a broken football team and a broken program. The same cannot be said about the conditions in which Meyer came into.

Spurrier coached twice as long, therefore there were bound to me more cyclical changes in the conference. There were some very good teams during his stretch, including Auburn and Tennessee. By the time the SEC became super strong during Meyer's tenure, he was already headed out the door. Non-issue.

Could Meyer have done with South Carolina what Spurrier did? Lol, would Meyer have DARED try and do what Spurrier did? No and no.

Wobble's trolling.[/quote]plus and more importantly, Spurrier took a broken program and won and left it a strong and winning program.While Meyer took a good team and an unbroken team, and left a broken program for someone else to fix.

Dugaboy

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It was Coach Bum Phillips of the Houston Oilers who said that about Shula...

Hey, the SEC wasn't suffering down years for a decade!
SOS just brought a new brand of football to the SEC and beat the beejezus out of everybody...the rest of the SEC looked dreadfully ancient on their offense compared to "Fun and Shoot" or whatever the Spurrier offense was called...I disagree; the whole SEC was not weaker when SOS was our coach; it just took them forever to adjust. Look at UGA and UT and LSU and Auburn for comparison...

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Dugaboy said:
It was Coach Bum Phillips of the Houston Oilers who said that about Shula...

Hey, the SEC wasn't suffering down years for a decade!
SOS just brought a new brand of football to the SEC and beat the beejezus out of everybody...the rest of the SEC looked dreadfully ancient on their offense compared to "Fun and Shoot" or whatever the Spurrier offense was called...I disagree; the whole SEC was not weaker when SOS was our coach; it just took them forever to adjust. Look at UGA and UT and LSU and Auburn for comparison...
fun 'n gun was the offense

run & shoot is the other, but hey, someone might not care.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This looks like it is going to be a good one.

How about the look he gave the official? classic Spurrier, Love that man.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
'78 said:
I think you are giving Meyer way too much credit. He is a great recruiter, motivator and adapter of others ideas. SOS on the other hand is an offensive genius and has adapted to our new more defense oriented game of today.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator said:
95 was only one year. What is your excuse for the other years? Also, how many undefeated regular seasons did SOS have at UF? The answer is zero. Meyer had at least one.
What undefeated season did Meyer have at UF? I know my memory is not that good but it seems that there is not any.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Does anybody know when it is scheduled to run? I checked and it is part of a series so to get it I am recording all the various episodes. Some looked interesting others not so much.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier is the only one of the two who had an undefeated regular season as coach of Florida. He also won 4 SEC championship at his first six years at Florida, with Meyer only having 2.

Both are Hall of Fame coaches.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex said:
Does anybody know when it is scheduled to run? I checked and it is part of a series so to get it I am recording all the various episodes. Some looked interesting others not so much.
I think it will come with the launch of SEC Network, but I am not sure.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n15065 said:
Spurrier is the only one of the two who had an undefeated regular season as coach of Florida. He also won 4 SEC championship at his first six years at Florida, with Meyer only having 2.

Both are Hall of Fame coaches.

Incorrect. UF had a undefeated regular season in 2009. Tebow's last year.

Gator charm

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Urb has never placed roots anywhere. Up to this point he is a gypsy. I do not discount his accomplishments for UF or any of the other stops he has made but building a program means a lot. SOS is beloved at UF and SC and will end up being the legendary coach both programs will admire. Yes, he will always be a gator but his talent as a HOF coach in bringing life into two SEC programs stands alone in my book. The SEC was not the MAAC when SOS Coached, he just changed the entire offensive scheme. Frankly, I wish he had never left. This would be the point when I usually make a sarcastic comment about our current situation but I promised that I would not do that. Let me say this, I think that SOS would win 9+ games with our current UF team; URB would need to spend some more time with his family and we would likely win 6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator