ESPN Unit/Player Rankings

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
ESPN ranks several positions and players in the SEC.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_...as-the-best-running-back-situation-in-the-sec

ESPN ranks the Gators running back corps as the third best in the SEC. Alabama is first and Georgia is in the second spot.

"Despite ranking dead last in the SEC in rushing last year (128.2 YPG), Florida actually has a pretty solid group of rushers. Jordan Scarlett is getting some early NFL love after rushing for a team-high 889 yards and six touchdowns as a sophomore last year. He has great vision, quick feet and can push through lines for extra yards. Sophomore Lamical Perine is a workhorse back, rushing for 421 yards last year and could start for a few teams in this league. Senior Mark Thompson drew early comparisons to ex-Alabama rusher Derrick Henry, but didn't live up to expectations in 2016. A good spring has given him some momentum going into the offseason. Freshmen Adarius Lemons and Malik Davis could give Florida more speed at the position this fall."

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_...s-the-best-pass-catching-situation-in-the-sec

ESPN ranks the Gators pass catchers as the second best group in the conference behind Alabama.

"Florida has a ton of talent returning, led by Antonio Callaway (54 receptions, 721 yards in 2016), who has the fourth-highest receiving yardage total among returning players in the conference. Returning along with Callaway are receivers Brandon Powell (45 catches) and Tyrie Cleveland (21.2 yards per catch) and tight ends DeAndre Goolsby (38 catches) and C’yontai Lewis (18 catches). Florida must figure out who is going to throw the ball to all these players, but if the Gators can find a reliable option, the passing game could blossom nicely in Gainesville."

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/129458/ranking-the-top-five-pass-catchers-in-the-sec

ESPN ranks Antonio Callaway the fourth best pass catcher in the SEC.

"Antonio Callaway, Florida: A quality deep threat, Callaway can be a game breaker. He has 22 receptions of 20 or more yards over the last two seasons (Kirk and Ridley are the only returning SEC receivers with more) and is good after the catch (he has averaged 7.39 yards after the catch in his career, fourth among active SEC receivers). He turned in a solid sophomore season (54 receptions, 721 yards) but if Florida can be better at quarterback, Callaway can produce even more."

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_...-the-best-offensive-line-situation-in-the-sec

ESPN thinks Auburn and Florida have the third best offensive lines behind Alabama and LSU.

"The Gators return four starters in Martez Ivey, T.J. McCoy, Tyler Jordan and Jawaan Taylor. Taylor was a pleasant surprise during his freshman All-American 2016 season. Ivey was the No. 1 OL recruit in 2015, and while he's started 19 straight games at left guard, he's moving out to tackle this year. T.J. McCoy might be undersized, but he's one of the league's toughest linemen."

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/129468/ranking-the-top-five-offensive-linemen-in-the-sec

On a related note, ESPN thinks Jawaan Taylor is the fifth best offensive lineman in the SEC. Taylor was a three star that was ranked 952nd in the nation coming out of high school.

"Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida: One of the biggest surprises in the conference last year, Taylor started 13 of Florida's 14 games at right tackle. Taylor was expected to contribute at some point, but the former three-star guard with little recruiting attention was one of Florida's best offensive players last season. Taylor should continue to play on the right side for the Gators, but he has a chance to move to left tackle if former top offensive line recruit Martez Ivey doesn't work out there."

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/129483/which-team-has-the-best-front-seven-in-the-sec

On the defensive side of the ball, ESPN thinks the Gators and Georgia have the third best front 7 in the SEC. Alabama and LSU are ranked one and two respectively.

"The Florida-Georgia rivalry is one of the best in the SEC, and the winner could be decided by the team with the best front seven. The Bulldogs have the most experience returning with all seven starters potentially back, including future pros Lorenzo Carter and Davin Bellamy. The one question mark, however, is defensive tackle Trenton Thompson, who withdrew from classes during the spring after an overnight hospitalization. The Gators, on the other hand, have to withstand the loss of star linebacker Jarrad Davis and star defensive lineman Caleb Brantley. Cece Jefferson is back, though, and much is expected of Taven Bryan and Jordan Sherit."

Let the coach bashing, player hating and general negativity begin.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
I'm just stoked that the players you spoke to both agree Franks wants to start! Major newsflash there.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with everything above except defensive line. I hope that we are pleasantly surprised there and the new kids can come in and start playing.

The one position that we are missing from on that list above of course is QB. Unfortunately it's the most critical position on the field.

Thankfully our OL has been resurrected under Mac.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with everything above except defensive line. I hope that we are pleasantly surprised there and the new kids can come in and start playing.

The one position that we are missing from on that list above of course is QB. Unfortunately it's the most critical position on the field.

Thankfully our OL has been resurrected under Mac.

Great post and I agree. The O line should be a plus for us. We lost so much talent on the front 7 that I think it is very generous to put us 3rd. I need to see it operate as a top flight front 7 before I'm saying anything close to this.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Great post and I agree. The O line should be a plus for us. We lost so much talent on the front 7 that I think it is very generous to put us 3rd. I need to see it operate as a top flight front 7 before I'm saying anything close to this.

If we are 3rd, how much did other teams lose.... or do they just trust our defense staff that much or have that much historical credit that we will be fine. I think those are False assumptions, but I would love to be wrong.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My "unit" is ranked so low, it isn't even in the rankings.

:wobble:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
McElwain is officially running out of excuses for the lack of offensive production. There's no doubt that the pieces are now in place. QB is still a question mark, but he's had 3 years to fix that and now has Zaire. If the QB position is still weak, then that's on him. This offense should be in the top 50 this year. I'm not saying that we for sure have the talent to be in the top 50 on offense. I'm saying that Mac's had 3 years to get there, and a top 50 offense was not an unreasonable expectation when he was hired. It's time for him to produce or get out.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
They must think our O line is really bad at helping the rush game I guess as we were about the worst rushing team in the entire SEC last season and our running backs only averaged around 5 yards a carry against the cupcake teams also.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
McElwain is officially running out of excuses for the lack of offensive production. There's no doubt that the pieces are now in place. QB is still a question mark, but he's had 3 years to fix that and now has Zaire. If the QB position is still weak, then that's on him. This offense should be in the top 50 this year. I'm not saying that we for sure have the talent to be in the top 50 on offense. I'm saying that Mac's had 3 years to get there, and a top 50 offense was not an unreasonable expectation when he was hired. It's time for him to produce or get out.

Agree. There is enough talent at all Offensive positions now - w/ QB the only "exception" for a lack of experience and/or true talent. I really, really, really hope Franks wins the job - even if we lose a few we could have won w/ Zaire (or, God forbid, LDR). If Zaire starts we are going through this same sh*t next year w/ the same thread topics....and likely with McElwain looking for a grad transfer! Time for him to earn his money on that side of the ball.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Didn't Mac put those pieces in place that now have our offensive units ranked as high as they are? And, am I wrong, or isn't Mac's third season coming up this fall?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't Mac put those pieces in place that now have our offensive units ranked as high as they are? And, am I wrong, or isn't Mac's third season coming up this fall?
The only thing that matters is 115th.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They must think our O line is really bad at helping the rush game I guess as we were about the worst rushing team in the entire SEC last season and our running backs only averaged around 5 yards a carry against the cupcake teams also.
Ah yes, where the rubber hits the road. "Best" OL and "best" RBs, trying not to laugh....

And yet.... last.

Hmmmmmmmmm.........

35399_h.jpg

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I don't understand the purpose of your questions. Yes, Mac put those offensive units in place, which is why there should be no more excuses for a poor offense this year. If this offense continues to struggle, then it is all on Mac. Muschamp can't be the scapegoat for the offensive woes any longer. When Mac was hired, it was expected that the offense would be fixed within a few short years. He even bragged about how he can win with his dog at QB. Well it's the third year, and we should have a good offense by now. I don't know if we will have a good one, but we should.

Most, if not all, great coaches have a better year 2 than year 1. Our team and offense actually digressed in 2016 from 2015. That is no excuse to lower the bar on our original expectations from 2 years ago for this team this year. This team needs to take a big jump ahead this year or else Mac's seat will be quite hot going into year 4.

I'm so sick and tired of hearing about how good we could be. I want to finally see it happen!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I don't understand the purpose of your questions. Yes, Mac put those offensive units in place, which is why there should be no more excuses for a poor offense this year. If this offense continues to struggle, then it is all on Mac. Muschamp can't be the scapegoat for the offensive woes any longer. When Mac was hired, it was expected that the offense would be fixed within a few short years. He even bragged about how he can win with his dog at QB. Well it's the third year, and we should have a good offense by now. I don't know if we will have a good one, but we should.

Most, if not all, great coaches have a better year 2 than year 1. Our team and offense actually digressed in 2016 from 2015. That is no excuse to lower the bar on our original expectations from 2 years ago for this team this year. This team needs to take a big jump ahead this year or else Mac's seat will be quite hot going into year 4.

I'm so sick and tired of hearing about how good we could be. I want to finally see it happen!

There is nothing unreasonable about this post. It literally is put up or shut up time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Agree. There is enough talent at all Offensive positions now - w/ QB the only "exception"
And yet....

You don't see that as a pretty big exception?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.