ESPN's FPI predicts UF record of 9-3

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Moorehead was a FCS head coach.
Yep, took over a Fordham team that won one game and guided them to the playoffs two years later. On the other hand, his defenses weren't exactly spectacular.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yep, took over a Fordham team that won one game and guided them to the playoffs two years later. On the other hand, his defenses weren't exactly spectacular.

He also saved Franklin's job at Penn State after taking over a mediocre offense from him. Penn State's offense improved almost 100 yards per game after he took over. The dude can coach offense.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I love the GCMB crowdthink that "no coordinator can ever be a great HC" and "no DC can ever be a great HC". So divorced from reality.

What I have said is that during the Dubose days, when UAL fans were wondering what was happening to them, one of their members at one of their message boards posted a study on the relative success of DC and OC who had become head coaches. This poster found that OCs promoted to HC had in the last maybe decade had much more success than OCs. This was a study so of course some DC had had success as HCs and some OCs had floundered as HCs.

This finding was a bit surprising to the people on that board because they fell for the old coaching bromide defense wins championships. I was somewhat surprised, but since I had learned the lessons Spurrier taught us, I knew that offense was at least as important as defense. Now that study is somewhat old now, but until I see another, I will be more skeptical of a DC new head coach than an OC new head coach.

I also have come to subscribe to the old coaching bromide turned around. Rather than defense wins championships and offense sells tickets, I think it is offense wins championships, but defense keeps games close and saving for a while the jobs of mediocre coaches who stress defense.

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
What I have said is that during the Dubose days, when UAL fans were wondering what was happening to them, one of their members at one of their message boards posted a study on the relative success of DC and OC who had become head coaches. This poster found that OCs promoted to HC had in the last maybe decade had much more success than OCs. This was a study so of course some DC had had success as HCs and some OCs had floundered as HCs.

This finding was a bit surprising to the people on that board because they fell for the old coaching bromide defense wins championships. I was somewhat surprised, but since I had learned the lessons Spurrier taught us, I knew that offense was at least as important as defense. Now that study is somewhat old now, but until I see another, I will be more skeptical of a DC new head coach than an OC new head coach.

I also have come to subscribe to the old coaching bromide turned around. Rather than defense wins championships and offense sells tickets, I think it is offense wins championships, but defense keeps games close and saving for a while the jobs of mediocre coaches who stress defense.

Except in 99...TWICE.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
What the hell is UAL?
Can we please quit wasting threads asking him what his nutty acronyms are? Next person who asks will be forced to stand at the front of the class and sing a song.

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
Can we please quit wasting threads asking him what his nutty acronyms are? Next person who asks will be forced to stand at the front of the class and sing a song.

Maybe you could start a sticky where he posts all his acronyms. Then we would have a reference.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
What the hell is UAL?

Try as you might, you are not going to force me to call UAL, Bama, the Capstone, UA, the Tide or any name of affection you might like for maybe what is your favorite team apparently by a wide margin over our Gators. This is a UF board and until the owner turns it in to a UAL board, I can call UAL UAL or even UALT if that helps make who I am talking about clearer in usage. I am NOT required to use terms of affection for your favorite team.

If you can not follow along, well that is your tough luck. Perhaps when you were younger and more flexible of mind this would not have been such an issue to you. But as you are stuck in your ways about this, you will necessarily be an irritated old man yelling hey get off my lawn or hey use my term of affection for my favorite team.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
4 games are "toss-ups" in those predictions (that we're projected to win). The games we're predicted to lose are pretty much "guaranteed" losses (from the historical statistics of the FPI predictor).
If your hit stats are true, then every game but Georgia is a toss-up on us losing

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I love the GCMB crowdthink that "no coordinator can ever be a great HC" and "no DC can ever be a great HC". So divorced from reality.
They live in an alternate universe in which even minor "deviation" from the party line is blasphemy and will be met with scathing opprobrium. Check your critical faculties at the door before entering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.