ESPN's FPI predicts UF record of 9-3

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
I'd take 7-5 if it meant:

Emory started in the last half of the year

Mullen shook up his staff and managed to bring in some top notch recruiters.

Unfortunately I don't think we're winning 9 games or getting rid of the dead weight this year.

I expect 7-5 these next few years to be the norm.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

If Mullen can weather the storm (a poor - by UF standards - 2019 recruiting class), manage to land 10-15 blue-chip players in the class (4-stars or better), and improve recruiting in the 2020 class I think he can have sustained success. He does need to shake up the staff (at least 2 changes). And your comment about a "generational type player" is key. In this day and age of college football, unless you're Alabama or Ohio State (where the roster is 75% or better blue-chip players), getting a dynamic QB is key. If we go 9-3/10-2 during the 'off years', then find a 'generational' (or dynamic) QB and then go 11-1/12-0 we're in the playoff hunt for 2 years....then have a few "down" years (9-3-ish)....then look for the next 'dynamic' kid. Unless Mullen starts signing year-in/year-out top 5 classes, it's the best we can hope for.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
If Mullen can weather the storm (a poor - by UF standards - 2019 recruiting class), manage to land 10-15 blue-chip players in the class (4-stars or better), and improve recruiting in the 2020 class I think he can have sustained success. He does need to shake up the staff (at least 2 changes). And your comment about a "generational type player" is key. In this day and age of college football, unless you're Alabama or Ohio State (where the roster is 75% or better blue-chip players), getting a dynamic QB is key. If we go 9-3/10-2 during the 'off years', then find a 'generational' (or dynamic) QB and then go 11-1/12-0 we're in the playoff hunt for 2 years....then have a few "down" years (9-3-ish)....then look for the next 'dynamic' kid. Unless Mullen starts signing year-in/year-out top 5 classes, it's the best we can hope for.
The problem is we could be Bama, or OSU if we made the right hire. It's not like ASU or something and even if they made the right hire they'd never be that kind of team. We've been Bama and OSU before (06-09). There are a hand full of programs I'd say about 8-10 that should have playoff hopes yearly, were one of those programs. For now though I'd take the 10-2 a few years in a row then a few playoff spots then go back to 10-2 and so on like you said. But imo if we haven't at least made the playoffs by year 5 Mullen should be showed the door.

I'll also throw this in there, if Mullen starts his career 0-6 against UGA & FSU he should be shown the door after year 3. He's got to win both those games a within the first 3 years. I'm not saying win both in the same year (that would be nice) but he cant start 0-3 against both teams.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I love the GCMB crowdthink that "no coordinator can ever be a great HC" and "no DC can ever be a great HC". So divorced from reality.
A DC can but not here. Offense is our bread and butter. Foley’s great mistake was not understanding the fan base - we want high flying, winning football. That requires a great offense and a commitment to football above all else.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A DC can but not here. Offense is our bread and butter. Foley’s great mistake was not understanding the fan base - we want high flying, winning football. That requires a great offense and a commitment to football above all else.
Plenty of DCs go out and hire great OCs. Stoops always did or at least tried.

That Saban garbage are the ones always looking for a ount based offense. Remember that Saban averaged 5 losses before landing at Bammer and accessing their recruiting sy$tem.

Look I like a great OC as a HC too, but neither Butters nor Mullinz are even close to being one.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Plenty of DCs go out and hire great OCs. Stoops always did or at least tried.

That Saban garbage are the ones always looking for a ount based offense. Remember that Saban averaged 5 losses before landing at Bammer and accessing their recruiting sy$tem.

Look I like a great OC as a HC too, but neither Butters nor Mullinz are even close to being one.
I’m not saying that every OC will be successful or precluding the possibility of a DC being successful here. I’m just saying that I’ll be infinitely more skeptical of a DC hire at Florida. At least Mullen has shown the potential to be successful on offense in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.