Jul 23, 2014
Bonds stature took a drastic change from Pittsburgh to SF

sure did...

barry-bonds-rookie-card.jpg

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Yeah McGwire hit 49 homers his rookie year when he obviously wasnt juicing and could have “maybe” one day truly challenged Maris’ record. He had a ton of lower leg and foot problems that kept him sidelined during the early 90’s for long stretches, I do believe that recovery was the initial reason he started juicing.

I enjoyed the run and still like McGwire, but Maris is still the record holder

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
You friggin purists kill me. That was a great HR race and I give no fcks if they were shooting up between each at bat. One of the funnest baseball seasons and only a liar would say otherwise.

you make a good point here...
It wasn't like MLB did a very good job of policing themselves.
There were no hard guidelines around testing, the frequency or 'who' would be tested.
I think the players really pushed back on any regular cadence on when they would accept the testing and the MLB brass caved.

So players naturally took advantage of the situation, especially under the guise of "I'm just trying to heal faster. There are younger players coming up that might take my place if I don't get back on the field".

I enjoyed the run and still like McGwire, but Maris is still the record holder

Which is why I respect the hell out of Roger Maris...

If you have ever seen Billy Crystal's movie '61', you would understand more of the hell that guy went through to break the record. Incredible story... and we used to get all of our kegs from Maris distributing while I was at UF for the frat parties.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This was the golden age of baseball. Back when big lug headed basterds were roided out the asss, hitting bombs left and right. Taking steroids out of baseball ruined it for me.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Roids or not, Bonds couldn't throw out the slowest runner in all of MLB at home plate in 1992 with a trip to the World Series on the line. F him, Sosa, and McGuire. If any of those three somehow get in the HOF and Pete Rose doesn't, then sick Antifa on Cooperstown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.