ESPN's Rod Gilmore diagnosed w/ blood cancer

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I didn't like Gilmore when he first joined ESPN, but I've come around. He does a decent job and is pretty straight forward. Sounds like he has a good chance w/ this. His point about getting an annual physical is no joke. I'm lucky the Coast Guard forces me to get one every year. I know a couple of guys who had major issues found during an annual physical.

He does a lot of SEC games, figured it's something to discuss other than how many Heisman's Trask will win.... :D

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...lyst-rod-gilmore-diagnosed-with-blood-cancer/

ESPN college football analyst Rod Gilmore has been diagnosed with a form of blood cancer but projects an optimistic forecast for his battle with the disease. In a statement provided to ESPN, Gilmore said his diagnosis came early through a regular check up and plans to work a regular schedule this season.

His statement:

I was recently diagnosed with a form of blood cancer known as Multiple Myeloma and there are a few things I wanted to share.

First, I feel great and my prognosis is good. I have great support with an amazing medical team, an incredible wife and family, and amazing friends and colleagues.

Second, my condition was discovered during an annual physical, which I’ve had done for more than 25 years. Early detection is critical and I encourage all of you to get annual physicals–cancer does not discriminate and it will hide if you let it.

Finally, amazing advances have been made in cancer research and treatment, principally due to your generous donations to organizations like The V Foundation. Donations work. We are so close to finding cures to some forms of cancer in the not too distant future. Please continue to support research of any kind in whatever way you can. It’s making a difference.

I’m looking forward to enjoying another incredible and exciting college football season with all of you. See you Week 1 in Nashville.

A former Stanford defensive back, Gilmore has been with ESPN since 1996 as a color commentator and studio analyst. Working alongside play-by-play man Mark Jones and sideline reporter Quint Kessenich, Gilmore will be on the scene for South Carolina at Vanderbilt on Thursday, Sept. 1.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I'm thinking that place must be built over an Indian burial ground or something.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Who at ESPN hasn't gotten cancer? That place must have some sort of severe radiation.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My mom passed away from Multiple Myeloma in 2011 after a ten year struggle with the disease. They gave her two to three years max after her diagnosis in 2002. This form of blood cancer is one of the deadliest forms of cancer as it causes tumors in the bones. It's very painful because the bones become hollow from the tumors and begin to break, especially in the spinal lumbar. Luckily, stem cell research had made great advancements around the time of her diagnosis. We had no idea at the time we'd have her around so long. The reason her prognosis so bleak was the statistics from stem cell had not yet been factored in to the life expectancy numbers. They did such a good job of preventing the tumors to the bones, that it eventually found its way to the liver. Things went down hill quick after that. However, her overall quality of life was good during those ten years thanks to many kind people's donations and dedicated research professionals. She was a great Gator who visited every SEC stadium with my father for 5 decades. They hardly missed a home or road game during her borrowed time in the Tebow era, and nobody enjoyed it more than she did. Go Gators!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
My mom passed away from Multiple Myeloma in 2011 after a ten year struggle with the disease. They gave her two to three years max after her diagnosis in 2002. This form of blood cancer is one of the deadliest forms of cancer as it causes tumors in the bones. It's very painful because the bones become hollow from the tumors and begin to break, especially in the spinal lumbar. Luckily, stem cell research had made great advancements around the time of her diagnosis. We had no idea at the time we'd have her around so long. The reason her prognosis so bleak was the statistics from stem cell had not yet been factored in to the life expectancy numbers. They did such a good job of preventing the tumors to the bones, that it eventually found its way to the liver. Things went down hill quick after that. However, her overall quality of life was good during those ten years thanks to many kind people's donations and dedicated research professionals. She was a great Gator who visited every SEC stadium with my father for 5 decades. They hardly missed a home or road game during her borrowed time in the Tebow era, and nobody enjoyed it more than she did. Go Gators!

Thanks for sharing. My dad passed away when I was 11 years old from lung cancer. Cancer sucks.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like a wonderful mom who provided some great memories for her family.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm praying for Rod. To my knowledge, the longest anyone has survived after diagnosis is about 14 years. He's a good candidate for the treatment because they diagnosed him early. Get your check ups Gators!

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hate to hear that.....What is up with ESPN personnel? Wish him the best.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bristol is about 60 miles from Lyme, which is just a hop, skip, & a jump from the Plum Island Animal Disease Center - :suspect:

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014

What an amazing story! Thanks for sharing. Cancer sucks

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.