Expectations...

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So what are your expectations for the the new coach? Thinking in terms of what he's going to have to do to glue this thing back together and make Florida Football not only functional, but successful beyond what we've "enjoyed" lately. Personally, I think he's liable to have to purge some of the roster, salvage this recruiting cycle however he can, and bring in pretty much a complete staff (I can't think of anyone outside of Seider right now that might warrant retaining). Depending on what his first roster looks like and the development he can do, he might have to scramble for a year...or two. Can we hang on if that is the scenario or do we absolutely have to have an immediate turn around? Interested to see what our group thinks is necessary, reasonable,or mandatory!

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
First is to change the culture. Make these players believe that every time they step on the field they are going to destroy the team on the other side of the field. Make the players hate losing more than winning. Get the players to buy in 100%. If you can do that success will come.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Have a successful offense ranked in the top 20

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Keep the 18 class in tact,hire one of the best S&C staff's in the country,make the off-season workouts pure hell and have some QC guys monitoring them every second of every rep and every run. If anyone doesn't like the new culture then they can transfer. I imagine most of the lazy turds on our roster (who haven't contributed) would haul ass within the first 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Keep the 18 class in tact,hire one of the best S&C staff's in the country,make the off-season workouts pure hell and have some QC guys monitoring them every second of every rep and every run.
Keep some of the 18 class. There are going to be some pieces that just don't fit.

MooseSmack

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Instill a winning attitude with the Players. They look so defeated last couple of years. Recruit your @ss off.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
First is to change the culture.
This is the first thing that I think about. Not an insider by any means, but my old eyes tell me, have been telling me for two and a half years now that the culture that has been developed is not about dominant and winning football. Looks to be about freedom, independence, lack of team responsibility, and being able to do what's fun. Certainly not all of the players are infected, but you'd have a hard time telling it from the last two games, especially. Trading this "feel good" crap for toughness and imposing your will on your opponent has got to happen post haste. The guy who does it has to be not only dynamic and grab the kids by the throat, figuratively speaking, but he's got to be consistent to a fault. Consistency hasn't exactly been a requirement of late. Gotta get it done, however.

Last edited:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Get the offense out of the 100's. Simply, a good play caller can do that. We've only scored 30+ points in one game this year. I'd like to see at least half of our games where we score in the 30's or higher. A few games in the 40's would be nice too and shouldn't be unrealistic against the cupcakes.

Get a new S&C coach and have somebody get bigger/stronger over the summer. It looks like everyone on this team is the same physically as they were in high school. Also improved special teams. I'm not sure if they've even practiced special teams in the last 3 years.

The East is still bad so we should finish in the top 3 in the East next year minimum. We're playing catchup to UGA so it's unrealistic to think we'll play in Atlanta next year.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Complete just one fade route per season.....ok, maybe per game. Complete at least two passes of 12+ yards per game. Complete one pass per game where the receiver catches the ball in space as opposed to standing still with his back to the goal line.

But seriously, a passing attack that has some semblance of organization and structure. I agree with others that the bigger (biggest) issue is the team culture and the laissez faire attitude that seems to permeate everything right now.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Get a new S&C coach and have somebody get bigger/stronger over the summer. It looks like everyone on this team is the same physically as they were in high school. Also improved special teams. I'm not sure if they've even practiced special teams in the last 3 years.

We're playing catchup to UGA so it's unrealistic to think we'll play in Atlanta next year.
I grew up when Tuten was our guy in the weight room. I'm embarrassed at just how far we've fallen in this area. Need a complete 180 here. Special Teams have been an abomination outside of Townsend and Pineiro (to an extent). It can't go on like it has been, obviously. It's too important in any plan to win. As for UGA, I'm afraid we've let the worm turn. Kirby's doing the things that will grow and sustain a program. We, on the other hand, hired a guy like your neighbor's bad kid who comes over to your house and tears up your kid's things. Can't afford to make a mistake like this again. Ever.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This time around is going to be tougher than what McElwain faced when he came on board. The new guy is going to have to rebuild both sides of the ball and special teams. It's going to be tough slogging for the first couple years. Hopefully he keeps most of the recruits because that will check one of the many boxes on the list and act as a springboard toward a revival of the program.

I think there has to be a system wide change in the way we do things starting from the secretaries in the athletic department all the way to the president. For this program to get back on track toward winning a championship distractions need to be minimized (fiefdoms, infighting and players arrests etc.) and the mantra from day one needs to be "Act like you're Florida for God's sake and get the job done!"

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Here's my expectations for Year One:

1. Top 75 Offense or Greater: I think 75 would be a failure for Frost, but a positive step for Mullen. Also, because of the culture change it may take a little bit to get to full cylinders. I think with an Oklahoma type spread (where QB running isn't expected as much) we have a few guys that may be able to spread the ball around with competent coaching. We have some good backs and our receiving corps should be ok. Again, hard to judge most of our O now because of the Nuss factor.
  2. Defensive Improvement- IMHO, Step One is putting Chauncey back outside. Step Two, develop the LB's.
  3. 9 wins or more- When we have 3 Cupcakes, this shouldn't be asking much. Plus with the losses in personnel Kentucky and Georgia are going to have, #FailState probably losing their coach to someone, FSU being a dumpster fire, UT being UT, LSU at home, etc., that's not a lot to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.