Expectations...

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
This is the first thing that I think about. Not an insider by any means, but my old eyes tell me, have been telling me for two and a half years now that the culture that has been developed is not about dominant and winning football. Looks to be about freedom, independence, lack of team responsibility, and being able to do what's fun. Certainly not all of the players are infected, but you'd have a hard time telling it from the last two games, especially. Trading this "feel good" crap for toughness and imposing your will on your opponent has got to happen post haste. The guy who does it has to be not only dynamic and grab the kids by the throat, figuratively speaking, but he's got to be consistent to a fault. Consistency hasn't exactly been a requirement of late. Gotta get it done, however.
In other words, to crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And to hear the lamentations of their women.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Football expectations are very high at Florida. There are 130 (or so) FBS schools in the nation. Of these 130 schools only maybe 20 have even more than a long shot chance to win a national championship EVER. Florida is one of those schools. So the goal here is going to be the national championship or bust. That's where we are. That's who we are. That who we want to be.

There can be only one, maybe two or three at most, coaches in the Southeastern Conference that are going to be heads above every other coach. There can only be a select few at any one time. Thus the stakes are high and the end result is difficult to achieve. There is going to be disappointment and even anger when the result, the national championship, is not achieved.

To achieve this goal is going to require an EXCEPTIONAL coach. Not a good coach, but an exceptional coach. He is going to have to hire an exceptional staff. He is going to have to have exceptional facilities to be able to get exceptional recruits. There was a time when the best players in your state went to one of the big programs in your state. We recruited mostly Florida kids with a handful of recruits out of Georgia. But today recruiting is on a much wider base with kids from Hawaii and California coming to SEC schools to play. It's a national game now. Kids came to play at UF because UF was the flagship university in the state. It was their dream to play for the Gators. They came not because of who was the head coach or how many games the team won the year before or how many former players were drafted by the NFL. They came because they grew up listening to Otis Boggs on the radio with their old man and they imagined themselves being Steve Spurrier throwing a pass to Charlie Casey.

I think, as others have mentioned, that you are going to have to get Foley out of the athletic department offices. Scott Stricklin is the AD now. I am going to have disagreement here, maybe I am committing blasphemy, but I think Steve Spurrier needs to go to the house also. He is a Gator legend but he is no longer football coach now. He can still be a fan of the program and he is always welcome to come back for special occasions. When Nick Saban was hired at Alabama he already had enough knowledge and confidence in himself that he didn't need Bear Bryant (who was dead anyway) around to ask him what plays he should run. If you are in residency to be a brain surgeon then I hope you will ask your attending for advice. But when you are at the head of the table I hope you don't have to ask the professor emeritus down the hall how to do the craniotomy. When you are put in charge you should have your shyt together.. You should be your own man. If you have to ask somebody else how to call a ball play then you don't need to be the head coach here.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
During the time from when Pell completed the program rebuild until Meyer left, UF won the SEC in 1984, 1985, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2006, 2008 or 11 times in 25 seasons or more than 40% of the time. (Yes, I know the SEC does not credit UF with all these wins, but we are talking expectations of the program.) That is the level of program UF has with credible coaching. Thus that is the level of expectations at UF.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
I don't think it's that complicated. I expect the same thing I expected from Mac. And that's improvement.
It shouldn't look like it currently does. And it doesn't take a long time for that. You usually can tell, within reasonable immediacy, if someone possesses the aptitude to fill a particular job function.

IMO, a potentially successful coach will either be insanely successful right out of the gates or you will see them begin to lay the framework of a successful program.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
They came because they grew up listening to Otis Boggs on the radio with their old man and they imagined themselves being Steve Spurrier throwing a pass to Charlie Casey.
THAT was me...............but I was Casey cause my friend was much older and got to be Steve. I had a gator jersey then and wore it till if fell off me.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
My expectations for next year are:
  1. Instill toughness, discipline, and commitment. (Culture change)
  2. Player development.
  3. Aggressive in all phases of the game.
  4. Competitive in every game.
  5. Recruit.
  6. Run the program with integrity.
Stricklin really said it best, "A championship experience with integrity."

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
My expectations for year one is to have the #1 ranked recruiting class, have an undefeated season with a national championship and a heisman winner. Anything less will be a disappointment. :whistle:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I expect that an immediate culture turnaround be observable on the field of play. From the new HC I expect :
1) In practices he gets in their faces all through practices, sweating along with his Gators ... just like Frost would do.
2) Like Frost, he develops players and uses them properly as they go for the jugular.
3) He especially makes our QB "get-it" = not be afraid to run & slide when gains are open, get rid of the ball rather than run off the field or take an avoidable sack.
4) Get players to "buy into" The Process - that would include off-field conduct that shows their pride in their University.
5) We should obviously see that he's put together a fierce staff that only accepts all out winning.
6) He makes UF fans proud seeing him handle those pressers. Like Frost, he brings up the hard questions himself that he "spot-on" answers = the buck stops here realization.
7) Right off, I expect UF's offense to be better than #70 - we have the athletes, they've just been malguided for 2-3 years.
8) Our new HC should earn some contracted bonuses. Those will be his first trophies on his way to others.
9) I expect the new HC hire to show that AD Stricklin went after him aggressively, with creative "purse-strings" showing UF's CFB program is the most important sport by far.
10) I expect several TDs per game i.e. 30 points/game for starters. Blow-outs of all cupcakes just for the icing.
11) He causes recruits to start hoping they get a UF offer. Gets a top 10 national class.
12) He resurrects the proud tradition of shutdown DBs and run-stuffing DL with TFLs that include QB-sacks.

Frost ticks those 12 expectations & I'm sure more. His being a "hands-on-the-rudder" type pilot will provide the turnaround in course this team has to have. These malguided players require an on-the-practice-field, sweaty eye-to-eye coaching that only Frost does. IMHO Frost is the only leader who can rightaway "get" our disenchanted players to truly come together and believe in "real football" again = that process Frost teaches.
Fingers crost for Frost...

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Toughness
Culture of discipline and ethical decisions
Execution
Knock the other teams dick in the dirt in every aspect of the game
Oh, and points, lots of points. Just for us. No soup for them

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.