Extra point extra - blind long snapper gets in live game

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm a little disappointed the other team stood there when the ball is snapped instead of hitting and attempting to block as they usual would. If you're going to put him out there, then the other team can't be expected to stop playing.

I get the sentiment and the heartwarming story, but can we all be honest for a moment here?

Firstly, for some reason, the "Wipe until White" rule that everyone else in the universe follows doesn't apply to blind people, and all of us have to pretend that's 'Ok.' I don't think I'm alone here when I say I could smell that kid through the TV set.

Secondly, the WMU coach should be fired and the entire special teams unit should be running bleachers next practice. Who the hell gives up when you're down 17 with over three minutes left? Let's say you take your two biggest nose tackles and line them up on top of center. Have them blow the kid up at the line. Maybe you get a bad snap maybe you get a blocked kick that you return the other way. Now you're down 15 with the ball and you got something to work with. If nothing else, you send a message that you can't treat a big time college football game like it's the special olympics.

Lastly, and completely off topic, I can't hear the term "Deep Snapper" without thinking they're talking about the mother of the Pouncey twins. They were apparently 16 lbs. each at birth.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This thread reminds me of:

giphy.gif

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I get the sentiment and the heartwarming story, but can we all be honest for a moment here?

Firstly, for some reason, the "Wipe until White" rule that everyone else in the universe follows doesn't apply to blind people, and all of us have to pretend that's 'Ok.' I don't think I'm alone here when I say I could smell that kid through the TV set.

Secondly, the WMU coach should be fired and the entire special teams unit should be running bleachers next practice. Who the hell gives up when you're down 17 with over three minutes left? Let's say you take your two biggest nose tackles and line them up on top of center. Have them blow the kid up at the line. Maybe you get a bad snap maybe you get a blocked kick that you return the other way. Now you're down 15 with the ball and you got something to work with. If nothing else, you send a message that you can't treat a big time college football game like it's the special olympics.

Lastly, and completely off topic, I can't hear the term "Deep Snapper" without thinking they're talking about the mother of the Pouncey twins. They were apparently 16 lbs. each at birth.

This is such a poor attempt at humor.

You can neither line up directly over the long snapper nor "blow him up". Its a 15yard UC penalty. 2 of those gets you booted from the game. In HS, it gets you booted from the next game as well.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is such a poor attempt at humor.

You can neither line up directly over the long snapper nor "blow him up". Its a 15yard UC penalty. 2 of those gets you booted from the game. In HS, it gets you booted from the next game as well.

Psstt, one should never take Pasty too seriously.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Good God. Now they're turning Pro Day into the Special Olympics too. When is it going to end? Are they eventually going to put this poor kid into an NFL game and pretend it's real? How long can they carry this sham on for?

Blind LS Olson participates at USC pro day

I don’t know, I give this kid some serious respect. He put up 17 reps in the bench press and had a pretty decent 40 yard dash time as well. Who knows what it could’ve been if he’d run it in a straight line.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He put up 17 reps in the bench press
That's the most embarrassing part of this whole thing. They put two 25 pound plates on the bar and told him he was benching "Two Twenty Five." Ugh. It reminded me of this:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb