Facilities Upgrade: $25-million Otis Hawkins Center for Academic and Personal Excellence

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is pretty cool....and another upgrade to our facilities:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/recruit-offers-exclusive-look-into-floridas-new-academic-center

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida defensive tackle commit Jordon Scott wanted to check out UF’s facilities for the first time during his visit Saturday.

He got to see much more.

Program assistant Shawnee Sellers gave Scott a tour of Florida’s latest facility upgrade, the $25-million Otis Hawkins Center for Academic and Personal Excellence. The doors open to UF student-athletes Monday.

“I got to see the new academic building,” Scott said. “Shawnee told me it was the first time she or any recruit had seen it. So I got the exclusive.”

Scott detailed what he saw inside:

“First of all, I didn’t know there was so much technology in the world. It has a couple stations on the bottom floor. One side is for food. There’s nutritionists there to show meals that are easy to make at home. The other side is a Gatorade fuel up room with protein bars and protein shakes — gain, maintain and cut. Upstairs there’s two computer labs. One with Dell and one with Mac. There’s a bunch of offices with guidance counselors who can help you. They also have tutoring rooms that offer one-on-one sessions. Then there’s just places for you to lounge or study. Every piece of furniture has a charging port in it. You could spend hours in there.”

The building wowed Scott, who holds a 3.8 GPA. He’s on track to graduate from high school early so he can enroll at UF in January.

“I was really impressed with the Hawkins Center,” Scott said. “That’s what separates UF from other schools. Their academics are second to none. If you say you got a degree from UF, people look at you different.”

Scott was joined on the visit by his father, mother, grandfather and sister. He said Florida “blew away” his family, and the academic building stood out to them.

“Everybody was very happy and excited,” Scott said. “My mom got a lot of questions answered. That’s what I wanted to get out of that trip, just everybody being comfortable with me there. I’m not just going away to college. That’s my new home for the next four years, and now they know I’ll be taken care of.

“It was one of the top five best days of my life.”

For more details on the Hawkins Center, click here.

Had a great day in the Swamp theres definitely no other place I wanna be Im committed to UF #Swamp17 #GatorNation pic.twitter.com/3bSPyuMGmQ

— Jordon Scott (@Fat_Mac34) June 4, 2016

Unless otherwise indicated, rankings and ratings come from the 247Sports Composite.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Awesome...thanks for sharing, BMF!

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds great! I'm glad to know that they put in the "Gatorade fuel up room with protein bars and protein shakes — gain, maintain and cut." We need to highlight our history with Gatorade.

Work 'em silly, Mac!

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
By the way, if the attributed quote was really all from Scott, he's a sharp guy. Given the choice, I'd take a guy that has some smarts about him.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LIES, all lies. we all know that Foley has no intentions to upgrade facilities. We are F-L-O-R-I-D-A and that's all we need to be. :chomp:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Well, don't get too excited. I heard that Bama intends to one up us and put some waterfalls in their new academic center....

Before they bother hiring any tutors, right? Oops, forgot bamuh certainly has plenty of tutors the take the exams, uh... help the kids study, I mean...

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I thought kids didn't care about academics? Kidding...

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's why he's excited about the tutors.
743c3d6ce7d0590d2d01e50cc87b27ce.jpg

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Once again, Zambo improves a thread as he "steers" it toward humor.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This will make a difference for those recruits that care about academics (and specifically their parents)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is a YUUUUUUGE deal. Fooley said gamechanger, he is right imo. We may not ever be on Bammer's level. Im sure theirs are gold-plated and dispense into bejewelled chalices, but at least not looking up at the Cowbells and Kintuckys is a great start. Ill bet those kids are in there every single day. Those 300lb teeneagers have to throw down lotsa protein shakes.

Last edited:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Love seeing P Young on the wall - great example of "student-athlete!"

And there were some who mocked the donation for an academic center upgrade. I think it's a great investment in our athletes and a solid recruiting pitch to the parents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.