Family Reunions

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Does your extended family do reunions or is FB the closest you get now?

Growing up in the 80’s I remember my dad’s family holding them in southern GA with big pot luck dinners. I guess it stopped when my grandmother passed.

Is it a dead tradition?

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
My dad’s family would have them at the Cherry Lake 4H camp back in the ‘80s. We don’t have them anymore either. Must be social media I guess.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My aunt in Illinois does one every year. I make it once a decade for my class reunion.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Lots of SEC fans meet their wives at family reunions.

‘Specially Vols, Bammers, and ‘Cats.

The notable exceptions include Florida, aTm, USCe, Vandy, and a couple more.

If you were going to rank cousin-loving nationally, the SEC would be well-represented, but I gotta believe West Virginia would be the consensus number one and a real dynasty.

Alex.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My granddaddy’s extended family still has a reunion at the old family church each year on the last Sunday in October. It features a potluck dinner after church and the unofficial family historian, who is a college professor, shares some family research. One funny about this, a few years back, the historian announced that everyone needed to stick around after lunch for a big surprise about a family cousin who was married to a famous Civil War general. Of course there was a lot of conversation during lunch, guessing the identity of the general and wondering if it was JEB Stuart, Stonewall Jackson, or maybe even Robert E. Lee! Everyone was abuzz. Then the time came for the announcement and lo and behold, it turns out that the cousin was actually married to William Tecumseh Sherman! The immediate silence was deafening; jaws were agape. The historian was almost run out on a rail. It was afterward suggested that we focus on the “good” family history from now on :) Otherwise, it is always a nice time to see family that we don’t see very often and enjoy a good meal together.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
My FIL's family has had reunions each year for several years now with the exception of last year due to covid. This year I don't believe we will be attending because my MIL is dying from cancer but she doesn't want anyone to know...:rolleyes3:

There is also a family in out town that has held a family reunion for ~93 years with I think two years, one being last year. It is apparently still going strong. I met a couple this year (I didn't go because I'm not in that family) at church a few weeks ago that drove all the way from west Texas to attend it.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
My FIL's family has had reunions each year for several years now with the exception of last year due to covid. This year I don't believe we will be attending because my MIL is dying from cancer but she doesn't want anyone to know...:rolleyes3:

There is also a family in out town that has held a family reunion for ~93 years with I think two years, one being last year. It is apparently still going strong. I met a couple this year (I didn't go because I'm not in that family) at church a few weeks ago that drove all the way from west Texas to attend it.

Well, I guess it's nice that you can attend your family reunion and your wife's family reunion at the same time :dunno:

Alex.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Once the matriarch or patriarch die, family reunions do as well.

We used to have them on both my grandmother and grandfather's side every year, but once they passed, that was pretty much it.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
My family never had them. Go back past my grandparents, yeah, they had them. I remember going to something in Indiana when I was about 7. Something like my grandmother's aunt or further up the family tree. Yeah, we don't do those.

And I don't FB. My wife does, and communicates to my family that way.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
3rd weekend in July every year. My dad's family was huge, he was the youngest of 12 kids. Now there is just him and my 92 yr old aunt who just fell the other day and broke her hip and took 16 staples in her head. The next morning after surgery she was sitting up in a chair eating Cream of Wheat for breakfast. The reunion is at her home, built in 1876. Plenty of land to park/camp. We used to get 100-150 most years, but now its 50-100.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Seedy is one of 8 kids and our children are grandkids #20 and 21. When we gathered for birthdays or holidays it was over 40 people and it was multiple times a year. His parents would take us all on family vacation every few years too. His mom passed away almost a year ago so that’s all come to an end.

After selling the house and diving up the estate, we will go on one last vacation together in 2023. Doubt there will be much after that one. End of and era and thankful my kids will have the memories.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
iu

Alex.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
My dad didn’t have any extended family so once my grandmother passed that was it for his side.

my mom had two brothers and I have three cousins. None of us are within 5 years of each other so we never really bonded. Would see them a couple times a year growing up but after my grandfather passed I haven’t seen any of them outside of a Facebook post. That was 2004. They all had a bunch of issues outside of my oldest uncle and that made it hard to be around. Last time I saw him even was 2012 at a baby shower for my first son.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.