Fans storm court early, cost St. Bonaventure win

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Kinda sucks for us. St. Bonaventure is a fringe top 100 RPI team, and losses like that set them back. Add that to Arkansas' inexplicable loss to Missouri last night which bumped them from #25 to #36, and our opponents are really hurting us right now.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Kinda sucks for us. St. Bonaventure is a fringe top 100 RPI team, and losses like that set them back. Add that to Arkansas' inexplicable loss to Missouri last night which bumped them from #25 to #36, and our opponents are really hurting us right now.

Well then it's good news that we stomped Kentucky by 22 points.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Well then it's good news that we stomped Kentucky by 22 points.
Indeed it is, but we only moved up from 13 to 10 after last night, I'm assuming because while we gained a top 25 win, we also lost one (Arky). If Miami (53), Ole Miss (55), and UGA (50) can keep winning at a decent rate, we could have enough quality wins to lock up a top 4 seed and play in Orlando the first weekend. Our finishing stretch of Scar (18), @UK (7), Arky (36), and @Vandy (56) will obviously also be crucial.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I never understood this court/field storming thing. I suppose it would be reasonable to do for a championship game but for a regular season game, geesh.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I am surprised no one mentioned the tennis ball game at Vandy yet in this thread. I did not immediately think of it when I saw and posted this this morning, but UF's first SEC regular season title in basketball was due to a win a Vandy somewhat like this. Of course the offender was one idiot not much of the student body as in this case.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think this is fantastic.

It drives me crazy to watch this redundant, stupid ritual play out over and over again with no real concern for the potential damage that could occur.
I sometimes think that Florida is the only school in the country that acts like they have a clue.

The NCAA won't do anything about it and the schools only give lip service to it, so maybe this is what needs to happen to make people stop before a serious incident occurs and everyone throws their hands in the air and wonders how such a thing could happen.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I am surprised no one mentioned the tennis ball game at Vandy yet in this thread. I did not immediately think of it when I saw and posted this this morning, but UF's first SEC regular season title in basketball was due to a win a Vandy somewhat like this. Of course the offender was one idiot not much of the student body as in this case.

I'm trying to remember this. I think it was more than one Vandy student who threw tennis balls on the court. This was done in reference to Dwayne Schintzius getting in trouble earlier in the week for hitting someone in the head with a tennis racket outside a Gainesville bar.

The antics cost Vandy the game and as I remember it was a very important game in the SEC race.

Last edited:

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015

I'm trying to remember this. I think it was more than one Vandy student who threw tennis balls on the court. This was done in reference to Dwayne Schintius getting in trouble earlier in the week for hitting someone in the head with a tennis racket outside a Gainesville bar.

The antics cost Vandy the game and as I remember it was a very important game in the SEC race.

I actually remember watching this one on TV, The details have faded a little bit with time, but a lot of tennis balls came down with only a second or two on the clock and Vandy up two. Technical is called and Dwayne steps to the line and sinks them both. He then dominates the ensuing overtime.
Dwayne was pretty much an arrogant jerk at the time, but he was OUR 7 ft.+ arrogant jerk! A good memory!

Found this:

Vanderbilt`s coat-and-tie crowd congratulated itself one second early Wednesday night in Memorial Gymnasium. With the Commodores leading Florida 72-70 and one second left, some Vanderbilt students threw tennis balls onto the court.

Official John Clougherty called a technical foul on Vanderbilt, Schintzius sank the subsequent free throws, and the Gators went on to beat the Commodores 81-78 in overtime in front of 15,498 angry fans.

``Whoever was stupid enough to do it, I guess they were trying to be cool,`` said Schintzius, who finished with 24 points and 12 rebounds. ``They could say, `I hit Dwayne Schintzius with a tennis ball.` I hope they`re happy because now they can say they cost Vandy the game. Just write that Dwayne Schintzius says, `Thank you.```

Schintzius also scored the first seven points of overtime as the Gators improved to 10-9, 4-4 in the Southeastern Conference. The Commodores fell to 10-9, 4-3 in the SEC.

``A rule`s a rule,`` Florida coach Norm Sloan said. ``There`s a second on the clock, he has to call the technical. Everyone is saying what a gutsy call it was. It didn`t take any guts at all. What would have taken guts is if he didn`t call it.

``What everybody is overlooking is that Schintzius stepped up there and knocked them in.``

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/19...0852_1_dwayne-schintzius-tennis-balls-florida

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator