Fatal flaw of each SEC East team (SDS article)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/fatal-flaw-keep-every-sec-east-team-getting-atlanta/

Florida
Fatal flaw in 2017: Depth issues on defense

The Gators are in the process of replacing eight starters on defense. The good news is that due to the injury bug, most of the replacements gained valuable experience last fall. Depending on how a few position battles play out, defensive coordinator Randy Shannon could send out a starting 11 full of players with at least one start. Shannon, however, has no way of preventing the injury bug from striking again.

When injuries start to add up, depth issues will impact the Gators. At linebacker and defensive back, injuries will likely lead to Florida playing true freshmen in SEC competition. Both positions were under-recruited in 2015 and ’16, and it’s about to catch up to Jim McElwain.

Georgia
Fatal flaw: Lack of a play-making wide receiver

The Bulldogs are the offseason favorite to win the division in the eyes of many, and for good reasons. Highly talented QB Jacob Eason is back after gaining experience as a true freshman and should be ready to take the next step. Nick Chubb and Sony Michel, two of the best running backs in the SEC, decided to return for their senior season in Athens. The defense is loaded with talent, and its head coach is one of the most respected defensive minds in the sport.

All that’s missing at UGA is a play-making wide receiver. With Isaiah McKenzie gone, Georgia’s top returning wideout is Terry Godwin, whose 38 catches for 397 yards (and no touchdowns) were No. 36 among SEC pass-catchers.

Kentucky
Fatal flaw: Unable to stop the run

After a strong finish to the 2016 season, including an upset of Louisville, the Wildcats have been talked about as a potential sleeper in the SEC East for 2017. The team returns a 1,000-yard rusher at running back (Benny Snell) and has capable quarterbacks in Stephen Johnson and Drew Barker (if he’s healthy). Scoring points isn’t the problem; slowing down the other team is.

Opponents rushed for a problematic 5.2 yards per play on Kentucky last season. Coach Mark Stoops shook up the staff, promoting inside linebackers coach Matt House to defensive coordinator. House has been a defensive coordinator before, recently at Pittsburgh and FIU. At Pittsburgh, fans became frustrated over opposing teams having record days against House’s defenses in 2014.

Missouri
Fatal flaw: A struggling defense just lost its top players

The Tigers came out on the low end of many high-scoring games last season. The quick strikes produced by Josh Heupel’s offense and a lack of rest for the defensive players were thought to be a problem. Heupel is back for a second season, and head coach Barry Odom is getting more involved with the defense. Odom’s speciality is defense, as he was Memphis’ defensive coordinator from 2012-14 before returning to Missouri to take the same position in 2015.

Odom’s involvement on defense should help, but MU is replacing too many top players at multiple positions to make any significant improvement that will show on Saturdays. DL Charles Harris, LB Donavin Newsom, LB Michael Scherer and CB Aarion Penton are all gone. The schemes might improve, but it’s tough to see the defense getting better while having to replace the best pass-rusher, tacklers and cover corner.

South Carolina
Fatal flaw: The depth chart on defense

Similar to Kentucky, the Gamecocks are being talked about as a potential sleeper. QB Jake Bentley got the offense going in 2016 and he should only get better entering his sophomore season with a solid supporting cast. Second-year coach Will Muschamp was always an in-demand defensive coordinator. On the surface, that seems like a worrisome combination to the rest of the SEC East.

USC’s fatal flaw in 2017, however, is the defensive depth chart. South Carolina loses Marquavius Lewis, Darius English, T.J. Holloman, Jonathan Walton and Chris Moody. Recruiting was trending downward toward the end of the Steve Spurrier era, and Muschamp has only had one full cycle on the trail to get the players for his system. South Carolina signed an impressive 2017 class, but it takes more than one class to properly build a defense.

Tennessee
Fatal flaw: Too many changes on offense

Despite whatever coachspeak Butch Jones chooses to describe the 2017 season, it’s a rebuilding year in on Rocky Top. Everything was lined up for the Volunteers to be SEC East champs in 2016, but Muschamp and the Gamecocks derailed those plans.

In 2017, UT breaks in a new starting quarterback (Jarrett Guarantano, above) or Quinten Dormady) under a first-year offensive coordinator who hasn’t called plays before. Larry Scott has an impressive resume as a tight ends coach and interim head coach, and he might make a solid offensive coordinator – one day. In 2017, he’s learning on the job while dealing with a first-year starter at quarterback.

Both parties are going to experience growing pains, and that will keep the Vols from winning the division.

Vanderbilt
Fatal flaw in 2017: Pass defense

Similar to some of its division rivals, Vanderbilt feels good about its offense with RB Ralph Webb and QB Kyle Shurmur back for 2017. The Commodores’ area of concern is on defense, particularly defending the pass.

Derek Mason’s squad allowed the second-highest completion percentage in the SEC last season (61). One reason that number was so high is Vanderbilt struggled in another area of defending the pass: rushing the quarterback. VU had 15 sacks last season, last in the SEC and at least 10 fewer than 10 SEC teams.

In a division loaded with experienced pocket passers, the Commodores look to be in trouble.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That story is shyt. OC, offense, DT depth, and a terrible defensive overall are our flaws, but I guess people are trying to set up the "it was jist injuries defense."

This staff isnt particularly good at anything which makes it difficult to single out only one flaw, I suppose.

Put another way, what is our strength? DEs and RBs, of which both groups have, I guess, some hope bit little real production so far.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep I do see the defense dropping quite a bit to probably something just a little better than the 07 defense if not about the same in the rankings but that will still be better than our offense probably even if they take a step forward. If one of these QBs doesn't pan out we will be looking at a near triple digit offensive ranking again probably.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Fatal flaw for say KY and Vandy is being KY or Vandy neither have any chance. I could include some other programs but why bother. Now they say our lack of depth is it, seems we had the same last year and hopefully this year the offense will at least score some points and avoid those very damaging three and outs. Not to mention something I think very important our return game is far worse than when we won championships, I don't know why perhaps some here have insights.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Yep I do see the defense dropping quite a bit to probably something just a little better than the 07 defense if not about the same in the rankings but that will still be better than our offense probably even if they take a step forward. If one of these QBs doesn't pan out we will be looking at a near triple digit offensive ranking again probably.

The 07 offense had Tebow and Harvin. The defense while very young had studs all over the place.

This year's defense does not have the luxury of Timmy. Gonna be a rough one without a miracle.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Plain and simple the offensive MUST STEP UP this year. But with the unsettled situation at QB I don't see that happening.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Jake Bentley at SC gets way more love than he deserves. They went 4-3 with him and two of those wins were cupcakes. The win against an imploding UT team is over-rated (he had 160 yards passing - for comparison AA had 300).

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The 07 offense had Tebow and Harvin. The defense while very young had studs all over the place.

This year's defense does not have the luxury of Timmy. Gonna be a rough one without a miracle.

Yep we lost what 3 games before the bowl game in 2007 despite that great offense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jake Bentley at SC gets way more love than he deserves. They went 4-3 with him and two of those wins were cupcakes. The win against an imploding UT team is over-rated (he had 160 yards passing - for comparison AA had 300).
HE is Driskel part 2 IMO.

Chimp thinks 100-150 yards is exactly what he wants.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
This staff isnt particularly good at anything which makes it difficult to single out only one flaw, I suppose.

In fact, your correct statement makes it super easy to single out our one fatal flaw: BUTTERS!!!!! Since the head coach hired/hires the entire staff, this makes him in charge of the entire staff, thus in charge of everything!

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I can see where they called it a FATAL flaw. When we lost our players on D that was like ripping a bandaid off an open wound or the Dam breaking. Our D bailed the offense out way too much. If, and a big IF the offense can generate some action this will go a long way to helping. I might see a drop off yes, but our returners got huge playing time. I think we may be better than some of the pundits think. Not to mention Shannon calling the plays. More comfortable with him than the Side Hat.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
That story is shyt. OC, offense, DT depth, and a terrible defensive overall are our flaws, but I guess people are trying to set up the "it was jist injuries defense."

Put another way, what is our strength? DEs and RBs, of which both groups have, I guess, some hope bit little real production so far.
WR, too. Maybe TE, if the blocking improves.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When a preseason publication says you have depth problem and you're the flagship program in a talent-fertile state like Florida, it's merely a nice way to say you suck at recruiting.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I hope that is right, but we hoped that with Fullwood and Worton"s class too. Remember the soring training reports and the yearly "this is fullwood kr Worton's year" threads? Surely you remember bc it was just LAST spring.

Until they actual do something in the field, it's just a hope not a strength.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Well, I hope that is right, but we hoped that with Fullwood and Worton"s class too. Remember the soring training reports and the yearly "this is fullwood kr Worton's year" threads? Surely you remember bc it was just LAST spring.

Until they actual do something in the field, it's just a hope not a strength.
No argument here. I do remember last spring. I was thinking primarily of Calloway and Cleveland, but you're right - they have more unrealized potential than accomplishments so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb