Favorite Gator Beat Writer?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I just savored this cliched morsel from Robbie Andreu, “The defensive players have embraced Grantham’s more aggressive, attacking style of defense.” Which has been written about EVERY NEW DC EVER. I think he has templates and just changes names and dates each summer.

I realize this thread will elicit further Pat & Robbie trashing, but I also want to know:

Who is your favorite Gator beat writer and why?

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Heath Cline was the best at covering the Gators. He's a radio guy. But i miss somebody that actually gets it. He moved to cover the cocks with Spurrier.
Larry Vettel was great too.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Most are totally incompetent. I really can't think of anything the Andreu, Drooley, or Vettel crowd bring. They don't have the slightest clue about football and couldn't spell X and O (which is astonishing really given they made it their career). (Example writing shyt like the "Fun and Gun" is back re Mullinz.... and Butterteeth. :headslap:

Moreover, they don't really seem to have access and seem relegated to trying to verify tweets. They are stuck in the 80s model, hear a rumor, verify it with SID, print sometime later, with their permission.... or leak what the SID wants out. They just don't realize things don't move at the speed of drunk anymore.

Some of the Gator Country guys are pretty good, though they still pump in exchange for access it appears. Werent they the ones that Muschump attacked? A few are solid X's and O's. I don't always like Gravey but he is pretty solid on recruiting. Parroting the SID somewhat though.

Apparently the Jax4 crew managed to get one of the Gators Breakdown Podcast dudes access to SEC meeting this week. If that counts, then those guys. They are stat geeks more than X's and O's though. Ironically I couldn't stand "Gator Dave" at first but he grew on me rapidly.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was always a big Jack Hariston fan till 78 ruined it for me.
Ah, well, don't let me ruin it for you. Jack was like McEwen, a guy who was all about centers of influence. His writing sucked IMO, but he drew a lot of respect considering who he wrote for. He was always cordial to me. RIP.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ah, well, don't let me ruin it for you. Jack was like McEwen, a guy who was all about centers of influence. His writing sucked IMO, but he drew a lot of respect considering who he wrote for. He was always cordial to me. RIP.
And Dooley?

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
These 2 sexy bastards. Them doing youtube is a dream come true. The train wreck is glorious.

:bwahaha:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And Dooley?
Never met him. I was long gone by the time he arrived. My opinion is probably similar to yours. Lazy oaf who settled on being a big fish in a laid-back little pond.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Heath Cline was the best at covering the Gators. He's a radio guy. But i miss somebody that actually gets it. He moved to cover the cocks with Spurrier.
Larry Vettel was great too.

Cline was my favorite as well. But recently? Maybe Aschoff? But that was a while ago as well.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My buddy Nick Pugliese covered UF for the Trib before he got moved to the NFL. I thought he did a good job. The Times had a female African American writer who was real good. The got who has been around longest, besides Chris Harry, is Mike Bianchi.

Best guy I worked with was Bobby Tyler. Loved the guy. He mentored me. Last I heard he was in the pest control biz in G'ville, which is probably a lot more profitable. Newspaper never paid diddly.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Most all of them (regardless of team they cover) know less than zero about the X's and O's and would not know a football if it was shoved up their A$$. They just repeat the sputum they hear from the coaches regardless of what the team looks like on gamedays.

Surprised Crucial has not gotten a mention. I know he is just another suckhole shill, but seems like a lot of the O&B glasses wearers like that sort of thing.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is Crucial even employed currently?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I thought I heard they are shutting down. And no new articles for three weeks on the website. That's lazy even by Drooley standards.

Am I hallucinating? It is possible.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I grew up in the TB area with Mizell writing in the Times and McEwen writing in the Trib. Two of the best to ever put pencil to paper. Fat Tooley, Andreu, and the rest of the supposed writers wouldn't be worthy to take Mizell or McEwen's pencil shavings to the garbage can.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I grew up in the TB area with Mizell writing in the Times and McEwen writing in the Trib. Two of the best to ever put pencil to paper. Fat Tooley, Andreu, and the rest of the supposed writers wouldn't be worthy to take Mizell or McEwen's pencil shavings to the garbage can.
Robbie actually started at the old Clearwater Sun. I'm talking way back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb