Favorite Gator Legacy Players

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We've had a lot of legacies come through here (relatives who also played ball), are any particularly special to you?

Willie Jackson, Sr. integrated UF football during a really rough patch, then gave us Willie Jr. (a great WR) and Terry (great RB who went on to a solid NFL career and returned to be on staff here).

That's my favorite because the sons spanned my time at UF as a student and I have so many great memories of them--first (official) SEC, first NC, lots of huge wins.

How about you? Here are some legacies that come to mind:

Lee and Travis McGriff?

Scot and John Brantley? (Scot was his uncle, his dad played too)

Fred and Kelvin Taylor?

Mike and Marcell Harris?

Derrick and Jabbar Gaffney?

Tony and TJ McCoy?

Bruce and Brad Culpepper?

Ray and Ray McDonald?

Who am I leaving out?

Alex.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Not many if any, I think Billy Kines dad played. I think Travis and Lee's had an Uncle or Lees dad play......may have been baseball.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Hard to top the Jackson 3.

Gaffney, McCoy and Culpepper also

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
As was said, the Jackson trio would be tough to best.

I'd throw in the Browns. Vernell Sr, VB Jr., and Vincent are all great people. Not on the same level performance wise, but great UF legacies nonetheless.

If the criteria is great defensive play, future in UF athletic broadcasting, with at least one "self-pass-catch" while laying on the ground, that narrows things a bit.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going with the Jackson boys. Good genes in that group. Hope they keep makin em.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
The thread is about who are your favorite legacies and why.

Alex.

Well in that case...my apologies
I'd have to go with the Taylors since both of their careers are still relatively fresh in my mind.
Both played their asses off and made some big plays for the Gators.
Both could make some great cuts while running full speed - especially Fred given his size.
(side note - it seems most of the highlight films are to rap music... why not a nice classical piece or some banjo music?)

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Don't forget Derrick's older brother and Jabbar's uncle, Don, who ran the wishbone as Dickey's QB in the mid-'70s. Very talented player. That trio was probably every bit as fun to watch as the Jacksons.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We've had a lot of legacies come through here (relatives who also played ball), are any particularly special to you?

Willie Jackson, Sr. integrated UF football during a really rough patch, then gave us Willie Jr. (a great WR) and Terry (great RB who went on to a solid NFL career and returned to be on staff here).

That's my favorite because the sons spanned my time at UF as a student and I have so many great memories of them--first (official) SEC, first NC, lots of huge wins.

Lee and Travis McGriff?

Fred and Kelvin Taylor?

Mike and Marcell Harris?

Tony and TJ McCoy?

Ray and Ray McDonald?

Who am I leaving out?

Alex.

Nice post Alex. You left out Mike and Ricky nattiel . Mike was a solid backer in the later Spurrier years. Ricky was well before my time , but believe he was a solid receiver for us .

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Nice post Alex. You left out Mike and Ricky nattiel . Mike was a solid backer in the later Spurrier years. Ricky was well before my time , but believe he was a solid receiver for us .

Ricky the Rocket Nattiel was an awesome WR! Dude was a player!

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Brothers Vince and Preston Kendrick

Brothers Tyson and Glenn Sever

Anybody remember these?

Doug Dickey played quarterback for UF and I believe his son Don played for the Gators. I know his son Darryl played quarterback at Tennessee.

Last edited:

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Lee and Travis McGriff?

Fred and Kelvin Taylor?

Mike and Marcell Harris?

Tony and TJ McCoy?

Ray and Ray McDonald?

Who am I leaving out?

Alex.
My very first thought was the Jackson's. I was also hear during the brother's time at UF. :fistbump:

Last edited:

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Talk about a legacy:

Kynes Is Happy To Be 3rd-generation Gator
August 26, 2004|By Jeff Darlington Gainesville Bureau
GAINESVILLE — Walk-on quarterback Matt Kynes may never achieve the football accolades of his grandfather. He might not have an award named after him as a result of his college career.

At this point, none of that seems to matter. There's no doubt the redshirt sophomore's grandfather, the late James Kynes, certainly would still be proud.

"I love this school, and I love this team," the younger Kynes said. "So playing or not, I'm still blessed to be a part of it."

Playing or not, and Matt's grandfather was playing a lot during his career, both have shared a similar approach to the sport. James Kynes was an All-SEC center who was the last Gator to play in every minute of a game.

As a result, two years before his 1988 death, his name was attached to one of Florida's most prestigious awards -- the James W. Kynes Award is now given annually to the offensive lineman who exemplifies his physical toughness and determination.

Although his grandson now serves as a fourth-string quarterback who has seen some action on special teams, the pair shares some other similar achievements, as does Matt's father.

The trio may be three of the smartest Gators to ever play for the university. Matt's grandfather went on to become the youngest Attorney General in the state's history and Matt's father, who also played football for the Gators, was a Rhodes' Scholar.

Matt is a biology major planning to attend medical school. With nearly 100 credits, his lowest grade has been one B+ in college -- the rest have been As.

From the Sun Sentinel

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We're talking about siblings, Pouncey's come to mind

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Latsko

I seem to remember him making several very big plays. One on a fake punt, and another a reception in the flat. I always liked him because he came to work at school and in football. Being in construction and I believe a walk on as well is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator