Fewer Bama Coaches, More Gator Coaches

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, this staff has Alabama guys all over it including the leader, why do we want more of them? we can't copy what they do.
#66 KronoGator, Yesterday at 4:45 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So springboarding off KronoGator's thinking :

Why not staff UF coaching with past great UF players with the right-thinking & experience/abilities?
Think of the truth-factor they would bring in their pitch to impressionable recruits. Wouldn't there be
a heightened magnetism being pitched by someone whose happiest days were when they were that
integral part of Gator football ?

Think in terms of "just now" starting to build a dynasty situation here at Gator Nation. That means
planning far down the line. Making "right now" contacts that might not be executable 'til years down
the road. Once everyone glued to football (H.S. coaches etc) understand how UF is working this,
we can "seed them" with the hope that they may be in line for a UF coaching job in the distant future.
Now that won't be a barefaced lie, and it will uplift some loyalty-leanings in the coaches of our recruit
sources.

So, I trust our knowledgeable posters to proffer the names for our "search-committee" (remember we
want "no-barrier" thinking = we ask them, they come).
I will start it off :

Kerwin Bell
Erict Rhett
{to be continued}

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
There aren't many former players coaching right now.

Robert Gillespie at Tennessee.

There's a few Meyer and Zook era players, Bam Hardman, Stamper.

There's several high school coaches.

We need proven coaches. Just because they played at UF isn't the only consideration.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, this staff has Alabama guys all over it including the leader, why do we want more of them? we can't copy what they do.
Worse yet, we are mostly copying what Bammer USED TO DO, especially on offense.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree completely.

I find this obsession with Bama coaches to not only be misguided but embarrassing in it's desperation. It reminds me of the John Reaves situation with South Carolina in the early 90's. Reaves spent a season or two on Spurrier's staff at UF and then secured the offensive coordinator job at USC by promising to bring the "Fun 'n Gun" to Carolina. The premise, understanding that the key to the offense was inside Steve's brain, was comical to say the least. If memory serves, Reaves lasted a season or two before reality set in.

Until we can duplicate the Bama model, which we never can or never will, grabbing pretenders from Bama will only drive us further down the college football totem pole. We have already fallen so far maybe is doesn't matter at this point.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Sure, many of these target coach/recruiters have established lives a distance from Gainesville (Weurffel etc)
but it's time for GatorNation to think & apply outside the box (Saban sure does).

Jack Youngblood (66 y.o. grew up in Jax, Fl) has the max positives going for himself (& thus us).
SI listed Jack as the greatest NFL athlete ever to wear #85 jersey. Imagine Youngblood watching his
LA Ram highlights on a recruit's visit.
He's a top public speaker. He's Christian oriented = spiritual duty inspiration & steering.
Since NFL career, Jack has been involved in football administration and marketing.
Jack has a farm in N. Florida.
In Orlando, Jack owns & operates The Jack Youngblood Center for NeuroEnhancement to help TBI
victims improve. (Surely, that can be tied into Shands in the move to Gainesville?)
Can you imagine a DE recruit sitting, talking with handsome "pro-physique" Jack watching Jack's highlights
as an LA Ram?

Now, you don't go after these type Gator Giants hit & run style. You show 'em blueprints for the completed
concept = Spurrier + Weurffel + Youngblood + (who else?)
This CFB campaign is an "Art of War" type long crusade. (Art of War is SOS's favorite book.)
The "pot o' gold" is actually lots of money and lots of happiness all around. Wage that war.

Last edited:

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
:raisehand:
I'll play!

Tebow - Strength & Conditioning coach

Current coaches
Reidell Anthony - OC for Glades Central
Ike Hilliard - WR coach for the Redskins
Keiwan Ratliff - DBs - he's a coach somewhere for somebody
Eric Kresser - QBs (Jake Allen for one)
Judd Davis - STs - his son is rated the #1 kicker in the country (2018 class) - we need him to replace Eddy

Now for some of my favorite players (not that I don't like the guys above):
Batesy - LBs - he could coach, I bet
Joe Haden - DBs - when he gives up playing
Trey Burton - RBs/TEs - when he gives up playing
Ahmad Black - DBs - one of my favorite Gators ever
Duke Lemmons - DL/LBs - Currently on the Cardinals roster as a LB (but no stats - likely practice squad only)
Matt Patchan - OL - is he still in college? :lol:

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Pay and they will come. Take a look at the current salaries across the board for CU, Bama, OSU and Washington (maybe) and I bet you'll see big money not only to the HBC but the asst. We aren't even in the top 10. Not that I think Mac deserves to be but you get what you are willing to pay for.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Worse yet, we are mostly copying what Bammer USED TO DO, especially on offense.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Pay and they will come. Take a look at the current salaries across the board for CU, Bama, OSU and Washington (maybe) and I bet you'll see big money not only to the HBC but the asst. We aren't even in the top 10. Not that I think Mac deserves to be but you get what you are willing to pay for.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries
We pay 4 mil to Chimp and 4 mil to Donkey.

We are actually second on that list to get two 21-16 coaches.

Fooley is the GOAT.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2015
If there's anything to mimic from Bammer vis-a-vis the coaching staff, it would to have 5 FORMER HEAD COACHES as coordinators, assistants or otherwise on your staff. Just mind boggling.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
We pay 4 mil to Chimp and 4 mil to Donkey.

We are actually second on that list to get two 21-16 coaches.

Fooley is the GOAT.

If you are budgeting the position then you choose within that budget. 30k is a lot of cash for a vehicle but it ain't gonna get you a fully loaded F-150. The bonus incentive is pretty low and our asst payout ain't nothing to get excited about, not that our current crop is deserving of more. But OSU obviously has a budget fair above hours as does TX A@M, LSU etc. Couple that with what was subpar FB facilities and you get subpar performance and recruiting. Fooley is was the problem but he's gone and we need to be willing to pay competitively or we won't get anything other that middle of the road HBC and subpar assts.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
As many might suspect, I think this is an excellent thread and point. It is shocking to me that an AD who came to UF at the end of the Hall tenure when the disaster of copying UAL and hiring Pell was fresh in everyone's mind would have this Zook-Muschamp-McElwain defense first copy UAL mindset in hiring a head coach at UF. And I certainly agree this goes to hiring assistant coaches.

That no one with any UF background is on this coaching staff is pretty remarkable. It is as if McElwain took the job with the view that there was nothing to build on at UF. I guess it reveals an odd kind of cockiness that he thought he did not need to build up any good will with UF fans.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I agree with the previous poster that wanted to increase the support staff. Saban has definitely leveraged the support staff loophole in his favor.

The NCAA allows one head coach, nine full-time assistants, four graduate assistants and five strength coaches. However, there is no limit on how many support staff you can have. Support staff can perform duties like evaluating recruits and breaking down film. They can also work one on one with the athletes and this is where they can really impact a program.

http://www.coachingsearch.com/artic...n-in-support-staffs-its-not-good-for-the-game

The NCAA rule book stipulates that a football player can participate in no more than 20 hours of countable athletically related activities per week during the football season. The key there is what is a countable activity. The rules say "A countable athletically related activity is any activity with an athletics purpose involving student-athletes that occurs at the direction of or supervised by one or more institutional coaching staff members (including strength and conditioning coaches)."

http://ncaacompliance.nd.edu/countable_hours.shtml

Then the question becomes which staff are considered coaches? The NCAA uses the term countable coaches.

NCAA rule 11.7.1.1.1 Countable Coach. An athletics department staff member must count against coaching limits as soon as the individual participates (in any manner) in the coaching of the intercollegiate team in practice, games or organized activities directly related to that sport, including any organized staff activity directly related to the sport

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/belm/genrel/auto_pdf/comp-trainersstrength.pdf

The support staff is how schools can get around the 20 hour rule. Saban uses this loophole to hire Sarkisian as a quality control support staff member and have him working directly with the athletes.

Sarkisian can work with the quarterback as many hours as he wants each week as long as it is not a countable activity.

Q: When is a morning run or review of game film with a coach considered a countable athletically related activity?
A: • Countable if required or initiated by the coach or countable if required by team captains. • Not countable if a voluntary activity initiated by the student-athlete.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/20-Hour-Rule-Document.pdf

So as long as it is not required and no attendance is taken a football player can voluntarily go sit in the film room with a support staff member at any time for as long as they want. In 2013 Saban had 24 individuals working as support staff including several designated as working in "player development".

Saban had this to say about his recruiting support staff. "You can waste a lot of time. I can spend three hours watching a player, or I can spend 10 minutes watching a player, and see just as much, if somebody takes the time to put the right plays together. That's a lot of work," Saban said. "We've probably evaluated 500 players this year, maybe more. I've probably evaluated 500 players. The rest of the staff probably evaluated twice that many to say 'These are the guys you should look at.' It really takes a lot of work."

Alabama quality control analyst Russ Callaway said "As soon as the game was done, we'd sprint over to the office and type everything in so all the coaches can get started on grading the film," Callaway said. "By the time they had watched the film at 2 p.m. on Sunday, we had the next opponent fully broken down so there was no wait time as far as getting them the breakdown books or reports that we always do."

Florida needs to increase the size of the support staff drastically.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I agree with the previous poster that wanted to increase the support staff.

Florida needs to increase the size of the support staff drastically.

In this 2016 team picture:

image_handler.aspx

http://floridagators.com/roster.aspx?path=football

I count 75 people not wearing jerseys. Exactly how big do you think the support staff should be?

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In my humble opinion, the support staff, or lack there of, is just another excuse for a sub-par, lazy coaching staff that has crappy position coaches, who in-turn are crappy recruiters. There is a reason we are now trying to flip kids, because we were not on them fast enough to begin with.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
In this 2016 team picture:

image_handler.aspx

http://floridagators.com/roster.aspx?path=football

I count 75 people not wearing jerseys. Exactly how big do you think the support staff should be?

I don't know who all the guys in the white shirts are, but they are not the type of support staff I am talking about. I wasn't talking about the guys that do the laundry, paint the field and maintain the equipment.

This is a list of the current support staff at UF:

Drew Hughes, director of player personnel
Kevin Barbay, associate director of player personnel
George Wynn, assistant athletics director, football operations
Deidra Church, director of football administration
Bret Ingalls, offensive quality control assistant
Mark DeBastiani, defensive quality control coach
Ryan McNamara, defensive quality control coach
Keith Murphy, special teams quality control coach
Eric Ellingworth, graduate assistant
Christian Pace, graduate assistant
Nancy Scarborough, executive assistant
Andy Belluomini, program assistant
Casey Callahan, program assistant
Chelsea Harris, program assistant
Shawnee Sellers, program assistant

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...-reload-after-losing-several-support-staffers

That's 15 people, none of which used to be head coaches. Alabama's current offensive coordinator was a support staff member with unlimited film time last season.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I don't know who all the guys in the white shirts are, but they are not the type of support staff I am talking about. I wasn't talking about the guys that do the laundry, paint the field and maintain the equipment.

That's 15 people, none of which used to be head coaches. Alabama's current offensive coordinator was a support staff member with unlimited film time last season.

I suspect that the guys in white shirts are student assistant trainers or something like that.

Still Jeremy, your fetish will all things UAL is disturbing. Many if not most UF fans want to get back to doing things the UF way and leave the UAL way to UAL.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How about more good coaches irrespective where they cut their teeth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator