Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Netflix double feature of adam Sandler movies this weekend. Man they overpaid him on that deal.

Sandy Wexler - he plays an out of touch talent agent in the 80s that top clients are rodeo clowns and such. He discovers someone with real talent and she leaves after getting famous. From their it's about their relationship and his relationship with other clients. He plays the character really annoying. Lots of cameos from people. 3/10

The do over - him and David spade are child good friends that reconnect. Sandler fakes both their deaths and they head out for fun, but he's a spy or something on a mission. This one actually has a few laugh out loud moments and when the plot is revealed at the end it's actually pretty good. Still has the high school humor of most his films and lots of familiar people. There are a few boobs, but one set you don't want. 6/10.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Billions on Showtime.....9.9/10....only 22 episodes to catch up on....best series I've seen since the Sopranos

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain fantastic - it's on prime if you have it. Basically a man raises his 6 kids in the wilderness. They are all very book smart, cultured, and can live off the land. A family tragedy forces them to go into the city where the kids realize they know nothing of the real world. Family issues come up and he starts to question if raising them right. It's pretty good and hard to stop watching. First scene is a little intense and the last half hour gets a little weird. Funniest part is the kids faces when they are watching their cousins play mortal kombat. It's well acted even by the little kids, a good movie, but nothing that will change your life. Definitely an indie movie feel to it. 7/10
We watched this tonight...good movie but left me pissed off and hard to express why. I'm not a parent but have ideas of how I'd be, this just made me angry.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Foyle's War on Netflix - He s detective solving crimes on the southern English coast during WWII

Luther on Netflix - Idris Elba plays a homicide detective investigating the worst murders but he's on the edge too.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
We watched this tonight...good movie but left me pissed off and hard to express why. I'm not a parent but have ideas of how I'd be, this just made me angry.
I get that completely. As a parent I didn't like how isolated from the world the kids are. If you want your kids to be book smart and cultured that's great, but social skills they were lacking in my opinion is harmful. Also obviously didn't agree with many of his parenting decisions and the last 15 minutes was really weird even if he thought it's what they needed.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Bad santa 2 - wasn't a huge fan of the first but it's got its moments. Most the same faces and he's pulled back in for another heist. It's actually pretty good if you like the dirty humor and in a PC world it's a little refreshing. Has a couple laugh out loud moments, lots of sex, but no boobs. At an hour and a half it will get you to laugh enough to be worth it even if not the best overall. 6.5/10

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
caught on some older movies that I haven't seen B4

Sunday night was I, Robot - it was OK and worth a watch if there's nothing else on or nothing else to do.

Central Intelligence - it was funny, had some witty one liners in it. the story was a little lacking, but I get it. overall worth the watch at a 7.5/10

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you've thought about how you'd be as a parent, you're going to be a good one.
I really liked this movie - it was my favorite of 2016. I thought it was well acted and quirky (not like Lobster (that one was weird), there was something different about CF, but it didn't make me angry). I'm no fan of the parenting style, but when you choose to be a parent, you also gain the power to make decisions that shape the life you had a part in creating; and each parent is going to be different - even my wife and I have different ideas about the many aspects of parenting and sometimes we're miles apart.
Now go make a baby with the Captain and be the parents you want to be!

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
The founder - story of McDonald's and Ray Kroc. I could not turn this off and only parts that weren't that interesting were the love angle. Basically he got in on someone else's idea, improved it and found a way to cut them out. He was absolutely ruthless. Lots of interesting stuff in how he slowly took power over from everyone. Well acted on all parts. 8.5/10

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The founder - story of McDonald's and Ray Kroc. I could not turn this off and only parts that weren't that interesting were the love angle. Basically he got in on someone else's idea, improved it and found a way to cut them out. He was absolutely ruthless. Lots of interesting stuff in how he slowly took power over from everyone. Well acted on all parts. 8.5/10
:thumbup:
Thanks! I've been wanting to watch this one. Keaton's one of my favorite actors, as is Nick Offerman. This review will give me backup ammo to help coax the wife into wanting to watch it.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
:thumbup:
Thanks! I've been wanting to watch this one. Keaton's one of my favorite actors, as is Nick Offerman. This review will give me backup ammo to help coax the wife into wanting to watch it.
She'll like it. Like I said the weak part was his love life. Obviously Hollywood took some liberties as I did some looking after and wish it would have done a little more on the aftermath of the original owners he screwed, but it was really good. They left a lot of the good and bad of him out.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Two more for you

Don't breath - caught this in cable. I would say more thriller than horror. Three teens break into a blind mans house and it's more than they bargained for. The old mans end game is screwed up and they have to try and get out. 6/10

A monster calls - about a kid dealing with a bully, absent father, strict grandmother and mom dying from cancer. One night a monster comes to him and says he will tell him three stories and when done the boy has to tell one to him. When you get to the boys story it's gets into spoiler territory and ties everything togethor. For the most part it's about learning to deal with emotions. You will probably cry, especially if you have kids as you never want them in pain. 7.5/10

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Have any of you listened to the PodCast "how did this get made"?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
WAR DOGS Also playing on HBO - Wonderful example how anyone can make it rich in America with hard work and some initiative. And most of it's true. The two 20 something stoners from the same synagogue in Miami Beach came to it by different paths. Jonah Hills grew up working for his uncle trading guns and body armor for local police forces and was traveling the country at age 16 and allegedly ripped his uncle off for $75k. But Jonah found a new scheme using the government website and finding deals he could broker. Jonah was making money but he needed help and asked David (Former UF student - selling bedsheets) to help. Money was made, as were many hookers, and much weed and blow. But these guys were young and were really faking it until they made it. And fake it they did eventually getting a contract worth $300 mil ot sell arms to the Afgans. These kids had balls actually traveling to Iraq and Albania to get jobs done. And it would have worked to if not for the meddling box supplier. Boobs and hookers but special shout out for Ana de Armas appearing in her panties. Joe BoB says check it out.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Second hand from my son the film buff... He and his wife just saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2.
They loved it...
"Really well made and heartfelt... (with Volume 1) ... a rare complete package".

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Second hand from my son the film buff... He and his wife just saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2.
They loved it...
"Really well made and heartfelt... (with Volume 1) ... a rare complete package".
This and Spider-Man are the two I'm looking forward to the most this summer. So far everyone e saying it's good.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Saw Guardian of the Galaxy 2 yesterday. Not as good as the first one, felt more like a Peter Quill movie than a Guardian's movie. But still solid, and so far the GoG is the best Marvel property over multiple movies. The Soundtrack isn't as good, but the jokes which I thought would have been old after the first movie are still pretty damn funny. My wife and I were joking. If you have a small child in the house, Groot will make you think of them. The interaction of the characters was still very well done. Not as good as the first one which I would give 5/5, but a 4.5/5. (Threat, no titties in the movie).

Also 5 credit/post credit scenes just a heads up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.