Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Underworld 5: watched over the weekend. The movies get worse as the series goes on and the storyline more confusing. Vampires and werewolves still fight each other. Still a bunch of goth people in black leather. Kate beckinsel is still hot. Better than sharp stick in the eye but not by much. 4/10

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Underworld 5: watched over the weekend. The movies get worse as the series goes on and the storyline more confusing. Vampires and werewolves still fight each other. Still a bunch of goth people in black leather. Kate beckinsel is still hot. Better than sharp stick in the eye but not by much. 4/10

She is the villian in the new Thor movie.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Why him? - had a free red box code so chose this one. Not as bad as I thought it might be. Basically a normal family meets their daughters tech millionaire boyfriend on Christmas. You've seen this similar story before. The dad is to protective while the rest of the family like him. James Franco plays his normal annoying self, but they actually take the time explain why he's kinda the way he is. Has a few laugh out loud moments. Most the humor is the same stuff in today's movies where they have to try to hard to get you to laugh because the actors can't do it naturally. The rock band cameo at the end is really funny as they lead carols. No female nudity and fake male nudity. For the most part at then end change the actors and setting and you've seen this at least 5 other times. 5.5/10

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I saw GoG Vol. 2 over the w/e as well. Instead of the traditional setting, we saw it at a Drive-In that offered a double feature for only $5/person. Very good deal indeed. There are 4 screens, and although I think they discourage it, you could move to another for the second feature if you didn't like the first option.
The Drive-In also had a restaurant/snack bar, mini-golf, & a kids playground. Very cool set-up next to a mall just east of Birmingham. Coyote Drive-In
Overall we spent about $70 for 5 of us including tickets, dinner, & movie snacks. You can't do that at a traditional theater.

I'm not a big GoG fan, but thought the movie was good. The experience was more enjoyable, but the kids really liked the flick.
I agree with Dougie on the Peter Quill theme to the movie, but not being familiar with the story line, it likely sets the stage for future films in the series.
If you're into Marvel flicks - go see it.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The founder - story of McDonald's and Ray Kroc. I could not turn this off and only parts that weren't that interesting were the love angle. Basically he got in on someone else's idea, improved it and found a way to cut them out. He was absolutely ruthless. Lots of interesting stuff in how he slowly took power over from everyone. Well acted on all parts. 8.5/10
Just watched it after reading your post and i really liked it... very well done and Keaton was really good as always

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just watched this last night. Oklahoma City Bombing on Netflix. Interesting to say the least. Anyone else seen it?

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Tv not movie. Finished season 1 of Narco's on Netflix and starting season 2. Really good show about Pablo Escobar and the DEA. My only issue is lots of subtitles as all the Spanish speaking characters speak Spanish. Doesn't affect the show just means you have to be truly invested to watch an episode without distraction

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Just watched this last night. Oklahoma City Bombing on Netflix. Interesting to say the least. Anyone else seen it?

I watched it. Fascinating. Did a fairly good job of showing both sides, but not in a way that defends McVeigh's actions. Surprised to the white supremacist undertones of the issues at the time.

I remember OKC bombing, Waco, and Ruby Ridge fairly well. I remember how some "acquaintances" actually defended David Koresh and sympathized (loosely) with McVeigh. Never understood that.

Anyway, I would recommend it if you are in a documentary film mood.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
The founder - story of McDonald's and Ray Kroc. I could not turn this off and only parts that weren't that interesting were the love angle. Basically he got in on someone else's idea, improved it and found a way to cut them out. He was absolutely ruthless. Lots of interesting stuff in how he slowly took power over from everyone. Well acted on all parts. 8.5/10

Watched The Founder last night. Really well done and as always Keaton delivers. He really should be mentioned as one of the greatest actors of our time.

Got curious about Ray Kroc after watching this movie and did some reading on him. He was truly a POS. Tried to franchise two other fast food restaurants before he screwed over the McDonald brothers. I suppose all in the name of true capitalism.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I watched it. Fascinating. Did a fairly good job of showing both sides, but not in a way that defends McVeigh's actions. Surprised to the white supremacist undertones of the issues at the time.

I remember OKC bombing, Waco, and Ruby Ridge fairly well. I remember how some "acquaintances" actually defended David Koresh and sympathized (loosely) with McVeigh. Never understood that.

Anyway, I would recommend it if you are in a documentary film mood.
I don't remember Ruby Ridge or the other early White Supremacy Groups out west. I was aware of Waco but never understood how it and OKC were put together. Speaking of Waco, the way it was handled, that fiasco was a mess.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Watched The Founder last night. Really well done and as always Keaton delivers. He really should be mentioned as one of the greatest actors of our time.

Got curious about Ray Kroc after watching this movie and did some reading on him. He was truly a POS. Tried to franchise two other fast food restaurants before he screwed over the McDonald brothers. I suppose all in the name of true capitalism.
I saw this in the theatre when it first came out. Just ruthless the was Kroc took over. I was unaware that all of that happened. Screwing the brothers is an understatement. But they just got backed into a corner and didn't have much choice.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Newtown. Watched this last night. Tough to watch, especially if you have young kids. Nothing graphic, just thought provoking. I don't know if I could carry on. My wife couldn't watch and could fathom how I could watch the movie.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I saw this in the theatre when it first came out. Just ruthless the was Kroc took over. I was unaware that all of that happened. Screwing the brothers is an understatement. But they just got backed into a corner and didn't have much choice.
At the same time he screwed them his buying the land to have control over franchises was genius.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014

Not just that he screwed them he absolutely destroyed them. The one with the health issues didn't live but a few years after it all.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Since it was on HBO, I watched Independence Day 2. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

**** I'm in OKC for the week and now feel i have to watch this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.