Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Finally got around to seeing LA LA LAND. Got to say, I really enjoyed it. I know that won't be a popular opinion here but very catchy. I loved the jazz as well.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Finally got around to seeing LA LA LAND. Got to say, I really enjoyed it. I know that won't be a popular opinion here but very catchy. I loved the jazz as well.

Seeing it this weekend with my son and his wife - along with Alien Covenant

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Seeing it this weekend with my son and his wife - along with Alien Covenant
Have you seen it yet? If not, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The beginning and first 1/3 of the show I was a little iffy. The last 2/3 was great.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Have you seen it yet? If not, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The beginning and first 1/3 of the show I was a little iffy. The last 2/3 was great.

I haven't seen it... but my son and daughter in law have and they want to see it again.

By the way - the weather in Nevada this week was great. Long ass flight back though.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's a good movie, definitely entertaining and beautifully shot.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Is there a reason you don't want a review for the other movie he mentioned?
Not at all. Review away on anything you guys watch. Alien is one of the movies I'd like to see this summer so waiting for intel. Have la la land in my que so waiting to when I can move it up over some other things and have seen the other reviews on it so far.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Finally saw Logan. Really good movie and the perfect send off for a R rated character that was stuck in a PG13 world. It's violent and a good story even if it mucks up an already confusing timeline of the movies. Only issue is they could have explained what happened before it a little better. 8/10

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for letting me know you'd be around. You know, grab a beer, grab a hoe, snort some blow.
:lol:
tumblr_mbyddeSauY1r9fil7o1_500.gif

4-Fear-and-Loathing-in-Las-Vegas-quotes.gif

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Thanks for letting me know you'd be around. You know, grab a beer, grab a hoe, snort some blow.

I did most of that...except the notification part.
You don't live near Vegas though... right?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nope. Not close at all unless you want to drive 7 hours.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Finally saw Logan. Really good movie and the perfect send off for a R rated character that was stuck in a PG13 world. It's violent and a good story even if it mucks up an already confusing timeline of the movies. Only issue is they could have explained what happened before it a little better. 8/10

No. And I have a high tolerance for bad comic book movies. The "Everything Wrong With" review from Cinema Sins is going to be as long as the movie. I'm reading glowing reviews from fans but I could make fun of it for so many reasons. The girl goes from mute, to speaking only Mexican to english people, to at the end giving a soliloquy in perfect english to a group of Mexican kids that only speak Mexican. The kids are mutanized in Mexico and are being chased by the group of evil soldier scientists but if the kids get to the Canadian border they are Olly Olly Oxen Free for no apparent reason. Apparently to be assured of an R rating Logan had to say the F word to the 10 year old girl about 100 times. In the final fight scene the other mutant kids (supposedly trained killers) are worthless but Logan and the girl and out numbered 100 to 1 but are able to neutralize the army by taking out about 20 of them - the rest just disappear. My mind wandered at times only to be awoken by WTF moments.

I'm worried about Alien Covenant. Been waiting for that since Prometheus and I have a feeling it's going to be bad.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Live by night - Ben affect directed and starred and since he's had a good run lately I had better hopes. He's an Irish monster in Boston that gets double crossed. His dad is police chief so negotiates a good prison deal for him. When he gets out he goes to Florida to work for a rival mob bootlegging and to plot revenge. Gets caught up with the locals, falls in love, gets married. Eventually the guys up north want him out and the whole story plays out. Essentially this is a really boring 2 hours. It has a good cast but the movie just is t good. Set in Tampa area with some Miami. I had trouble keeping focused on this one. 5/10

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Hardcore Henry - this is another one of those WTF movies and I don't really understand what I watched. Was in tv after everyone went to bed so figured why not. Essentially a guy dies and is brought back as a cyborg, they strap a go pro on his head, and he starts killing people and trying to get this guy with magical powers. You feel like your watching someone play a video game. That being said Sharlito Copley was the only bright spot as he plays around 10 different characters. I'm sure some may like this but not my cup of tea. 3/10

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Wizard of Lies (HBO) - The story of Bernie Madoff told more from the perspective of how it affected his family. It's interesting in that you wonder how he could of done it without seeming to have a grasp of reality as to what the consequences were going to be. The movie serves to answer the question, which is posed in the final scene. No boobs. Joe Bob says check it out.

Filth (2013), Netflix - This was a twisty and twisted one. Scottish cop trying to get a promotion by screwing over his colleagues while slowly going crazy with drugs and fighting his own demons. It starts off funny (you know how Scots can be) but gets deep and weird. Takes a little while to get use to the accents but stick with it. Definitely filthy. Two boobs you'd rather not have seen. Gratuitous penis photocopying. Joe Bob says check it out.

Sin City - A Dame to Kill For (2014), Netflix - Holy crap if you like boobs, and I know you do, this movie is boobalicious. This movie has Jessica Alba and Rosario Dawson in it and that's not even the best part. Eva Green, as the Dame, loves to be nude on camera. I mean she loves it and wants to marry it, full frontal. In lingerie, out of lingerie, in a tree, with a flea. Eva Green is the gold standard of on-screen nudity. If you see only one set of boobs this year then you need to see this. After you see this you won't want to see any other boobs. Her boobs make me feel sorry for all the other boobs. Beautifully shot. Joe Bob says check it out.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Alien covenant- buddy from work invited me to see it and since the wife has zero interest I took them up on the offer. I've been waiting to see what others thought because I have mixed feelings about it as it was something I was excited for.

Let's just say Ridley Scott is full steam ahead on his plan to show horn Prometheus into this universe and this plays as more of a sequel to it than a prequel to alien. It shows what happens to the two that survived the previous one and it was disappointing to say the least and he shoehorned how the alien we know was finally created in.

Anyway basically a crew is taking a bunch of people and embryos to a new planet to populate. They pick up a distress signal along the way and decide to investigate as this uncharted planet shows as paradise. They get there and Prometheus type stuff starts happening. Around the last 30 minutes alien type stuff starts to happen. The characters are not bad just you have no reason to care for any except a few. Why they would choose a bunch of married people to head a mission makes no sense as feelings get in the way of almost every decision. Not only that they make the stupidest decisions you could think of. There are two types of monsters and it's not until the one we know and love does it get to be what you came for. It's also really predictable and leaves questions you may actually want answered unanswered.

The cast was ok. Fassbender was good playing multiple parts and Danny McBride stole the show in my opinion. I thought it was a joke when he got cast, but it's nice to know he can do more than comedy. The main girl is ok, but no Weaver.

If you like Prometheus then you will enjoy this more than if you didn't. But if your expecting an alien movie you must have to wait until the next one. There is one set of boobs near the end from probably one of the only people you want to see them from. It's not a horrible movie but shouldn't say it's an alien movie either. 5.5/10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb