Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
What should we call it?

As for Pitt that man definitely put the time into his craft. Fury was a darn good movie and although I thought the Counselor sucked his death scene actually made me flinch. Cool World might be his biggest black mark.

:scratchchin: Ginger and Threat's Most Excellent Movie Chat Show

BTW Top Gun 2 is rumored to start filming next year with a plot centered around drone warfare. Hopefully no volleyball scene.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
:scratchchin: Ginger and Threat's Most Excellent Movie Chat Show

BTW Top Gun 2 is rumored to start filming next year with a plot centered around drone warfare. Hopefully no volleyball scene.
Hopefully it's descent after all these years of them talking about it. Just hope they don't have Ridley take over for Tony as he's been crapping on enough classics lately. I guess Maverick will have to break orders and start taking out drones when he returns to the air. Who knows?

Fun story. Had a friend in HS who's dad was retired Air force and did something with the movie. Had the Maverick helmet that Cruise used in the movie encased in the middle of his office.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Lion - What a powerful and intense movie. At first thought the whole reading thing was going to get old, but it finally gave way to english. Thought there were moments in the middle of the movie that felt like one long night, but other than that, they managed to squeeze some onions into that redbox disc.

The score was incredible. I'm a huge fan of movie scores and this was a great one.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Mr. Right - has Sam Rockwell as an assassin who has gone straight and now only kills bad people. He runs into Anna Kendrick who's boyfriend has been cheating on and they date. He tells her what he does and she doesn't believe it and the whole time on their date they are trying to kill him. Eventually she witnesses him kill someone and ends the date. She kidnapped and he goes after her. He kills all the world class assassins and she after two days with him discovers she is a world class assasin as well and kills the other bad guys. They run off togethor both crazier after that. There is a reason HBO didn't advertise they had this movie. No gator chomps for this one. It deserves Seminole chops instead. To top it off they waisted Tim Roth in this movie

Home - this animated thing has been floating on Netflix for years and my son could care less. Have it come on with commercials and he has to watch. Bunch of pink aliens running around on earth after they peacefully took it over to escape the bad guy. Rihanna does a voice and the music and it's like a long music video for her. Needless to say at the end everyone is happy and gets along after it was all over a misunderstanding. Kids might like it but I can name about 100 animated films right now that are better. 3 gator chomps for adults and maybe 6 for young kids

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Pirates of the Caribbean, Dead Men Tell No Tales

Finally a really good sequel in the franchise. They found the balance that has been off since the first movie between humor, action, the seafaring supernatural and romance. Lots of fun. Critics got this one wrong & it merits the high ratings from the public. A good summer movie.
Saw it Sunday, and agree with this.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Saw two movies on redbox this weekend:

Resident Evil: Final Chapter - Special Effects action movie that felt boring. I did enjoy the first two Resident evil movies, thought enjoyed them both. This was a lot of action that made less sense than an 80's action movie. Seemed to skip over thing that would make more sense, and was extremely predictable. It was pretty much hot garbage. Rating: 2.5/10

Threat: No titties were seen or harmed in this movie. And it really needed some titties.

Split - Really good idea, and James McAvoy was excellent. I have seen him in a lot of roles were I questioned how good of an actor he could be, this completely changed my opinion. The story is very limited and most of the characters are the personalities that are in McAvoy's role. The ending could have been better, but it is obviously a set up for the coming Glass mash up. M. Night Shyamalan movies (most have been overhyped garbage) it was the few that I really enjoyed. 8/10.

Threat: No titties were seen or harmed in this movie.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Lion - What a powerful and intense movie. At first thought the whole reading thing was going to get old, but it finally gave way to english. Thought there were moments in the middle of the movie that felt like one long night, but other than that, they managed to squeeze some onions into that redbox disc.

The score was incredible. I'm a huge fan of movie scores and this was a great one.
I REALLY want to see this movie...have heard great things!

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
since it rained almost all w/e, we watched a bunch of movies too:

Split - I haven't seen Unbreakable, and don't really know much about M. Night Shyamalan except for Signs (which I really liked), so I thought this movie was just OK. McAvoy did an excellent job, the filming kept you guessing, story line moved along, but you had to know that peeps were gonna die. Scary to think that there are actually people out there that move from personality to personality like that. 3.5 of 5 stars

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
- I have to agree with the others, great movie. It's by far the best since the first one. I'm one of those that really likes the Pirate story line (although, not as big of a fan as Leach is), and enjoy the mystic around them, especially when I'm at the beach, so this one was right up my alley. New twists in relationships, more dead pirates that can't be killed until the curse is broken, and those amazing European style dresses :yum: - no total boobies, but the tops of a lot of them, which is close to full exposure.
Worth the price to see it at least twice in the theater, Mrs. Trux gives it her approval too - 4.5 of 5 stars

La La Land - meh. It was a Mrs. Trux pic and since she lets me pick a lot, I'd return the favor. There are much better singers than Gosling & Stone, and they proved it in this movie. However, if Gosling is the one playing the piano in this, he's on top of his game. Liked most of the music, but the story kinda sux. I can see why it was nominated for so many awards, cause those people voting don't know good cinematology. Mrs. Trux didn't like her pick so I'll get to pick the next few we watch :) - 2.5 of 5 stars is generous for me - if you have nothing else to do and you like musicals, watch West Side Story

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Ha ha Ginger I saw Mr. Right a couple of weeks ago. We make a good team because we hardly ever agree. None of the Resident evil movies are that great (I doubt I'd bother to watch them without Milla Jovovitch in them). I'll have to give the Final Chapter a viewing.

Mr. Right (2015). Sam Rockwell at his quirkiest. A polite assassin. At one point he's going to kill somebody or rescue Anna Kendricks - I forget - and runs into one of the body guards outside. They have a casual conversation and catch up on old times then says something like "see you inside, sorry I have to kill you". It's by far not the best movie but if you like Sam and Anna being quirky it's a fun ride. No boobs (that I remember) but Anna has that girl next door ILF quailty that keeps your mind in the gutter. Joe Bob says check it out.

Speaking of Sam Rockwell
Better Living through Chemistry (2014). Another Sam Rockwell masterpiece. This time with a blonde Olivia Wilde smoking up the screen. Sam is a mild-mannered pharmacist with a bitchy wife until he meets Olivia the rich and neglected wife of Ray Liotta. Olivia introduces Sam to the finer things in life - like pilfering his own pharmaceutical supplies and the cowgirl position. "Hilarity ensues" as Sam mixes pill cocktails, deals with his wife, overbearing FIL, and troubled son until he and Olivia hatch a plan to be together. Sam and Olivia are actually fleshed out characters and the plot takes some twists with an unexpected ending. Better written than Mr. Right and worth it for quirkmeister Sam Rockwell and blonde Olivia Wilde. No boobs, gratuitous kinky sex fu. Joe Bob says check it out.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Ha ha Ginger I saw Mr. Right a couple of weeks ago. We make a good team because we hardly ever agree. None of the Resident evil movies are that great (I doubt I'd bother to watch them without Milla Jovovitch in them). I'll have to give the Final Chapter a viewing.

Makes it fun and encourages a second viewing to see if your missing something or weren't paying enough attention. It had its moments. I still haven't seen even one RE movie though.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mr. Right - has Sam Rockwell as an assassin who has gone straight and now only kills bad people. He runs into Anna Kendrick who's boyfriend has been cheating on and they date. He tells her what he does and she doesn't believe it and the whole time on their date they are trying to kill him. Eventually she witnesses him kill someone and ends the date. She kidnapped and he goes after her. He kills all the world class assassins and she after two days with him discovers she is a world class assasin as well and kills the other bad guys. They run off togethor both crazier after that. There is a reason HBO didn't advertise they had this movie. No gator chomps for this one. It deserves Seminole chops instead. To top it off they waisted Tim Roth in this movie

Home - this animated thing has been floating on Netflix for years and my son could care less. Have it come on with commercials and he has to watch. Bunch of pink aliens running around on earth after they peacefully took it over to escape the bad guy. Rihanna does a voice and the music and it's like a long music video for her. Needless to say at the end everyone is happy and gets along after it was all over a misunderstanding. Kids might like it but I can name about 100 animated films right now that are better. 3 gator chomps for adults and maybe 6 for young kids

I thought Mr. Right was funny :(

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Watched Suicide Squad on HBO this weekend... other than the soundtrack there wasn't much to this movie. It's almost if they said, we have a bunch of interesting characters, but we aren't really going to go into any of them accept two (Harley Quinn who was annoying and Deadshot who was horribly miscast). They introduce the Joker, who if you took away every scene in the movie with him, the movie doesn't really change at all. It was about an hour worth of content drug out to 2 hours. The movie started off with pretty good potential, but was just below average. 4/10...

Threatmatrix Matrix, no boobs in this film (would have helped the movie though).

Yeah. That movie sucked ass.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Another Sam Rockwell masterpiece

rYd0abe.gif

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Storks - Another one I got the 4 year old to watch. This one isn't that bad as I tend to rate most children movies these days based on if I could watch it everyday for the next month and not go crazy. Basically the Storks have gotten out of the baby making business and now deliver packages for an Amazon type company. They did this because of an incident 18 years prior where a baby wasn't delivered. The main character is then going to be promoted to boss when a letter arrives that somehow activates the old baby making machine and he has to try and deliver the baby without anyone finding out.

It has a pretty good voice cast (Andy Samberg, Kelsey Grammer, Jennifer Aniston, Phil from Modern Family, Key and Peele), some legitimate laugh out loud moments and a pretty good message to parents that work to much and can't get their face out of their phones. Its as solid animated movie for kids 10 or younger in my opinion. Would give it 6/10 gator chomps.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Pirates of the Caribbean, Dead Men Tell No Tales

Finally a really good sequel in the franchise. They found the balance that has been off since the first movie between humor, action, the seafaring supernatural and romance. Lots of fun. Critics got this one wrong & it merits the high ratings from the public. A good summer movie.
My kid loves the PoC movies and is dying to see this one - sounds like it will be good. Thanks!

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Florence Foster Jenkins - biopic starring Meryl Streep. Some may find this funny and quirky but at times I found it just annoying and unfunny. Her performance outshines the movie.

Basically a wealthy heiress loves opera and dreams of being a singer. She is married to an actor (marriage of companionship and convenience) and appears in his plays. He truly loves her but has mistresses due to her having syphilus from an earlier marriage and the meds at the time were poisoning her.

She makes a record and it become popular for how horrible she is. She wants to put on a performance for troops and her husband goes to great lengths to hide all the reviews from her to keep the illusion up.

It's an ok movie, but not my full cup of tea. It's not bad, but I'll never watch again probably. Some might like this better. 6.5/10. The performances outside of Streep are good as well.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Finally saw La La Land. It was good and the music wasn't boring. Not one I'd put on regular viewing but would watch again if on. 7.5/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.