Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hidden Figures is a good movie. My wife picked it out on redbox which is usually not a good sign. I was pleasantly surprised with this one.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Please enlighten us to some examples of "pro-American" films that should have won Best Picture in the past but didn't. And I beg you, please don't say American Sniper. That film was stinking hot garbage.
What didn't you like about American Sniper. Was it not "Beautifully shot" enough for you.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
What didn't you like about American Sniper. Was it not "Beautifully shot" enough for you.
Battle scenes were great. The overly melodramatic and emotionally manipulative scenes in between those were laughable, and the mom's acting was horrific. Not to mention the fake godd*mn baby. If someone other than Clint Eastwood had directed it, it wouldn't have sniffed a Best Picture nomination.

Zero Dark Thirty may have had a bit of a gripe, but Argo was a fantastic film and absolutely deserved Best Picture that year. Not only that, Silver Linings Playbook and Django Unchained were better films, in my opinion. But Zero Dark Thirty was still very good.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Battle scenes were great. The overly melodramatic and emotionally manipulative scenes in between those were laughable, and the mom's acting was horrific. Not to mention the fake godd*mn baby. If someone other than Clint Eastwood had directed it, it wouldn't have sniffed a Best Picture nomination.

Zero Dark Thirty may have had a bit of a gripe, but Argo was a fantastic film and absolutely deserved Best Picture that year. Not only that, Silver Linings Playbook and Django Unchained were better films, in my opinion. But Zero Dark Thirty was still very good.
Good gracious silver linings was a horrible movie. Argo was great, Django was great but was never going to win best picture and zero dark thirty was ok in my opinion.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

You just hate America. Just like all your Hollywood buddies.
Argo had Ben Affleck so that rules that out. Though I am warming up to his Superman.
And Zero Dark Thirty had Obama in it so that's a no starter right there.
Silver Linings Playbook. Have penis, can't comment.
Django Unchained. Oscar bait.
American Sniper is a real American Hero story. Was there a baby in it? :dunno: I zone out during the chick scenes. Movies can't be all fun and war, unfortunately.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You just hate America. Just like all your Hollywood buddies.
Argo had Ben Affleck so that rules that out. Though I am warming up to his Superman.
And Zero Dark Thirty had Obama in it so that's a no starter right there.
Silver Linings Playbook. Have penis, can't comment.
Django Unchained. Oscar bait.
American Sniper is a real American Hero story. Was there a baby in it? :dunno: I zone out during the chick scenes. Movies can't be all fun and war, unfortunately.
Congratulations on being wrong six times in a row. Impressive!

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Baby Driver - saw at my son's insistence (he's 21). Thoughtful & engaging lead into a chaotic mess with a redemptive ending. Great cast, great acting but felt cliche at points.

Spider-Man Homecoming: Excellent reboot, good to see the Avengers' creative team with this character in hand. Great fun.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
X-Men Apolocalypse (2016): If you enjoyed Days of Future Past this was decent, but a downgrade. The beginning and middle parts of the film were decent, but finale was dull. If you know the characters some were really well done, some were poorly done. They went to far in the well with actors who just seemed to be there for a paycheck. It was entertaining, and still has me curious to see what will be next. 6.5/10.

ThreatMatrix: No titties were shown or harmed in this film.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Fences - I'll admit at first I wasn't exactly in the right mood to watch this. 2 hours of people b*tching non stop can be a little taxing. Converted from a stage play and stars Denzel Washington. I have a feeling the stage version was much better. He plays a middle aged garbage man who never made it to the minor leagues in baseball due to the color barrier. The movie revolves around this bitterness and his family. He basically has a strained relationship with everyone and the movie is them all arguing and complaining. I'll give this another shot when more in the mood for this type of movie but right now I'd give it a 5/10

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Watched Lion with the wife last night. Good story but too long with some weird loose ends. Why was his step brother so f'd up? Did he get back together with the girl back home? Did he take care of momma back in India after the reunion? Since he didn't speak Bengali why didn't the people in Calcutta ask him how he got there? Decent movie though. Reminded me of The Kite Runner.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Creed - Excellent addition to the Rocky series. Well written, authentic tap into a completely different cultural angle on boxing yet kept the faith with the franchise. If you love Rocky, you should love this.

War Machine - 3 of 5 stars. 3 because it does a nice job of exploring many of the awful challenges, decisions and sacrifices of war in a mess where the enemy is not uniformed and shifting constantly. No more that 3 because it completely bypasses the cause of the war and subsequent push for elusive peace in Afghanistan - that the Taliban created a safe haven for Islamist extremists to prepare for the most horrific terrorist attack ever on the US. That's why we went there in the first place - after giving the Taliban opportunity to turn over the terrorists including Bin Laden. It also promulgates absurd leftish caricatures of our military. BOOOOOO!!!!!

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Spider-Man: homecoming: great movie. This guy makes Peter Parker in high school and they do a great guy keeping the villain down to earth and not to big for the rookie. Would have liked Keaton to get more screen time but he plays a down to earth criminal. A few things were to predictable, loved the very last moment of the movie and the last end credit scene was great. Basically picks up a few months after civil war. He's bored and wants to be respected more by the avengers, and particularly tony stark. It's the whole learning and screw ups part. Keaton is a down on his luck contractor who after the first avengers come across alien tech. The plot goes from there. A few slow moments and the same humor from the others movies in the universe. 8/10

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wife picked the movies Saturday Night here is what followed:

Get Out (2017) - I was mildly interested in this movie it was Jordan Peele's directorial debut and looked to be a cheesy horror film. The movie is surprisingly well paced and decently suspenseful. It does give some social commentary, and has a few well decently known actors in it. I'm a fan of Bradley Whitford, he isn't the best actor but damn he is entertaining. The script is well written, with some of the usual horror troupes. Decent movie and well acted. Surprisingly good directorial debut. 7/10...

Jim Bob: No titties were hurt or seen in this movie.

Arrival (2016) - BOOOOOORRRRIIIIINNNNGGGG as fck. Interesting concept, and well acted. Boring, took forever to get anywhere. The payoff at the end wasn't worth the run time. It was a well done film, that just dragged to make a point that by the time it got there I didn't care.

Jim Bob: No titties were hurt or seen in this movie.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Around the World in 80 Days <Netflix>

Disney version with Steve Coogan (mostly a 'who?') and Jackie Chan as lead characters. Daughter (age 11) picked it since her brother was gone for the night and she took charge of family movies with mom&dad. Personally, there was a heavy sigh on my part 10min in when I had to pause and explain the character development and simple plot line that was unfolding...echoes of every other movie I watch with her mother :headslap: :eek3:. But for the film overall, it was right on track in terms of Disney clean story, Jackie Chan creative fighting, and the Disney touching friendship bonds with a little romance sprinkled in but not too much (only some 11 yr old groans at the end for kissing, but Jackie was throwing some good funny lines through that part). I have to give a nod to the cameos throughout the film, most you can recognize but half I had to explain to our daughter. It's Disney, so no boobs, but I'll give it 7/10 for family movie night with kids.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Gold - this stars Matthew mcconouhay or how ever you spell it. He's the son of a great gold prospector in the 80s and works for the company. After dad dies he runs it into the ground and is down to last cent. Goes to Indonesia to meet a geologist and they start looking and eventually find gold. Over night this street rat type of guy is rich and everyone wants a piece. It then gets into the dirty business world, government involvement and back stabbing. Descent movie and loosely based on a petroleum guy from Canada in the 80s. Also shows how brutal wall street can be with ups and downs. 6/10. No boobs are seen or harmed in this movie

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.