Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Watched Lion with the wife last night. Good story but too long with some weird loose ends. Why was his step brother so f'd up? Did he get back together with the girl back home? Did he take care of momma back in India after the reunion? Since he didn't speak Bengali why didn't the people in Calcutta ask him how he got there? Decent movie though. Reminded me of The Kite Runner.
Watched this last night. Agree they could have shaved about 30 minutes off as it just dragged at one point. Wasn't bothered as much by the unanswered questions and was a good movie. Didn't get to fluffy like a lot of based on true stories do.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We just saw Detroit, and before Zambo fires up the violins and pulls out the Kleenex, we paid to see it. Superb film, but paints racist white cops in a bad light, so I wouldn't recommend it for many in here. Quick boob flash in the middle of police brutality, so Threat may like that part.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Hell, someone else in this thread said they did it recently. There's two right there. I guarantee you that out of 330 million people, you could find another 999,998 or more who have done it.

Agreed. True story for me with a different slant. Back in 1988 or 1989, a group of six or seven of us went to Clearwater Mall to a movie, I even remember the title, it was Phantasm II. Anyway, the price for a student ticket was $3.80. I was last to pay. Every singe person ahead of me paid with a $5 bill, and got $1.20 in change. The poor girl behind the counter was so used to giving back $1.20, that when I brought up the rear and said 'one student for Phantasm', she says, 'here's your ticket and $1.20 change"...I never even took my wallet ouf of my pocket, and got paid $1.20 to see a ****ty flick.:lol:

The things you remember from your youth.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed. True story for me with a different slant. Back in 1988 or 1989, a group of six or seven of us went to Clearwater Mall to a movie, I even remember the title, it was Phantasm II. Anyway, the price for a student ticket was $3.80. I was last to pay. Every singe person ahead of me paid with a $5 bill, and got $1.20 in change. The poor girl behind the counter was so used to giving back $1.20, that when I brought up the rear and said 'one student for Phantasm', she says, 'here's your ticket and $1.20 change"...I never even took my wallet ouf of my pocket, and got paid $1.20 to see a ****ty flick.:lol:

The things you remember from your youth.
Like I said.

In any event, huge congrats to my hairy friend for buying a ticket. Nice job.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'll unload on them the instant they start with the sas-style finger wagging.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'll unload on them the instant they start with the sas-style finger wagging.
I love Gardner, but the man finger wags his ass off. It might be the aggressive type, but his finger has damn near fallen off at this point. Just admit you have a slightly overboard obsession with me and we can call it a day. No hard feelings, I love all my fans.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Friday Night Double Redbox Feature:

The Circle (2017): I was honestly expecting this to be worse than it was, and my wife had read the book. I'm not a big Emma Watson fan, and she was just as bland as normal in this role. Tom Hanks I thought was dynamic in his role. Basic premise Emma Watson's character gets a job at a big social media company that would best be described as a combination of what Facebook wants to be and Google. They start to go deeper into her life and notices it happens to all the Circlers. As well as everyone else. Obviously plot points happen. I give it a 6.5/10.

Jim Bob: No boobs are seen or harmed in this movie.

CHiPs (2017): Another movie I thought was going to be worse. I will start this off by saying I'm a fan of Michael Pena, I thought he was the best and only thing worth watching in Antman. Dude is funny and a decent actor in dramatic roles. The movie starts out dumb, real dumb. It then works itself around to being funny. It's not something I would go out of my way to see, or buy. It was just a stupid comedy for the sake of a stupid comedy. The plot is dumb and pointless, but the jokes are pretty good. I give it 6/10 more for entertainment value than quality.

Jim Bob: There were multiple boobs in this movie, but none were harmed.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Collateral beauty - will smith is a top executive at an advertising firm. A few years prior to the movie his daughter dies from a rare cancer and he goes off the deep end ( understandably). This causes the firm to hire three actors to play the parts of entities he's been writing letters to. In the end they all end up helping each other's and a few surprises. It's a descent movie with a good message and great cast. Helen mirren, ed norton, Kiera knightly, Michael Pena round it out. 6/10. No boobs shown or harmed and not a movie that might make the wife want fun time.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
and not a movie that might make the wife want fun time.

I need these warnings. I'd really like the wife to watch this one, but we both need to be prepared for how we will feel coming out of it, and what we can each expect. For me, no fun time.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gone with the Wind - Digitally Remastered

Took the Wifey to see her favorite movie of all time (and where her mother got 2 of her 3 kids names, Tara & Ashley - thank goodness FIL stepped in before it was all 3, Rhett). They show it once a year in the historic Alabama Theater in Birmingham (c. 1927) 3 hours & 58 minute run time, plus intermission equals a very long movie, and sore rear end...

as far as the movie goes - it was OK, not something I'd highly recommend if you've already seen, but everyone should see it once. Just pick a time when there is absolutely nothing else to do. and I mean nothing else... I felt like there was so much filler that could have been left out, but I understand that at the time of it's creation, that was the standard. Productions like this were more social events, than simple entertainment. There was a guy playing the Wurlitzer organ, and a sing along during intermission, etc... it was a full experience that I thoroughly enjoyed overall.

The theater was beautiful, so seeing it there really enhanced the experience. Had it not been for the theater experience, I might not had made it thru.
All in all, I won major brownie points with Mrs. Trux that will pay a lifetime of dividends.

The movie itself 6/10... with the experience of seeing it in a historic place like that, and the total package as it would have been viewed in the late 30's - early 40's (except for the addition of A/C, which I'm eternally grateful for) I'd give it a 8.5/10

for that Bob guy, there was just a very little, and I mean very little, side boob action, but none were harmed, that I noticed.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Saw two over the weekend:

Lost City of Z (2016): This was a great premise wasted on making a movie that is less about the book and more what the studio thought the audience wanted. The book is a journalist retelling and retrying the trek through the Amazon done in the early 1900's. The explore attempted to find the City of Zed at least 4 times in his life, after finding evidence of it existence in mapping the Amazon for a border issue. The book goes into great detail of the exploration and the expeditions. The movie does more of the family story and political story, which seems to dominate the film with some Amazon exploration. I'm not sure why so many people have a Charlie Hunnam boner as a leading man, everything I have seen him in so far he has been flat and boring (I haven't seen Sons of Anarchy). The dude that played the sparkly vampire (Robert Pattinson) in those Twilight movies is in it, actually was good in his role. This movie showed potential, but the story was poorly acted and executed over all. 3.5/10.

JimBob: there were some native American boobs in this film, none were harmed.

Yoga Hosers (2016): I am a Kevin Smith fan and I have loved almost all movies. This would be the exception, it was garbage. The only redeeming qualities was that it was short, and yoga pants. It's set in Canada, and they over play the Canadian speech and customs. This is the 2nd film in the True North Trilogy (Tusk was the first one, I liked Tusk). This movie stars Harley Quinn Smith (Kevin's Daughter) and Lily-Rose Depp (Johnny Depp's daughter) as two teenage clerks of a Canadian Quickie Mart. Very clerks feel, except with out the smart dialog or the cohesive cast. People start dying from tiny Nazi monsters through the butt. It gets worse from there. Johnny Depp, Justin Long, and a few others have small roles. 1.5/10.

JimBob: No boobs were seen or harmed, and wouldn't have made this movie any better.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Took the Wifey to see her favorite movie of all time (and where her mother got 2 of her 3 kids names, Tara & Ashley - thank goodness FIL stepped in before it was all 3, Rhett). They show it once a year in the historic Alabama Theater in Birmingham (c. 1927) 3 hours & 58 minute run time, plus intermission equals a very long movie, and sore rear end...

as far as the movie goes - it was OK, not something I'd highly recommend if you've already seen, but everyone should see it once. Just pick a time when there is absolutely nothing else to do. and I mean nothing else... I felt like there was so much filler that could have been left out, but I understand that at the time of it's creation, that was the standard. Productions like this were more social events, than simple entertainment. There was a guy playing the Wurlitzer organ, and a sing along during intermission, etc... it was a full experience that I thoroughly enjoyed overall.

The theater was beautiful, so seeing it there really enhanced the experience. Had it not been for the theater experience, I might not had made it thru.
All in all, I won major brownie points with Mrs. Trux that will pay a lifetime of dividends.

The movie itself 6/10... with the experience of seeing it in a historic place like that, and the total package as it would have been viewed in the late 30's - early 40's (except for the addition of A/C, which I'm eternally grateful for) I'd give it a 8.5/10

for that Bob guy, there was just a very little, and I mean very little, side boob action, but none were harmed, that I noticed.

Haven't seen Sons of Anarchy? Stop watching these movies and sit down and watch that series.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014

Absolutely despise that movie. Growing up in GA, 15 minutes from where that took place, it was required viewing yearly in history class. Senior year the teacher did Glory instead to our delight.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Saw two over the weekend:

Lost City of Z (2016): This was a great premise wasted on making a movie that is less about the book and more what the studio thought the audience wanted. The book is a journalist retelling and retrying the trek through the Amazon done in the early 1900's. The explore attempted to find the City of Zed at least 4 times in his life, after finding evidence of it existence in mapping the Amazon for a border issue. The book goes into great detail of the exploration and the expeditions. The movie does more of the family story and political story, which seems to dominate the film with some Amazon exploration. I'm not sure why so many people have a Charlie Hunnam boner as a leading man, everything I have seen him in so far he has been flat and boring (I haven't seen Sons of Anarchy). The dude that played the sparkly vampire (Robert Pattinson) in those Twilight movies is in it, actually was good in his role. This movie showed potential, but the story was poorly acted and executed over all. 3.5/10.

JimBob: there were some native American boobs in this film, none were harmed.

Yoga Hosers (2016): I am a Kevin Smith fan and I have loved almost all movies. This would be the exception, it was garbage. The only redeeming qualities was that it was short, and yoga pants. It's set in Canada, and they over play the Canadian speech and customs. This is the 2nd film in the True North Trilogy (Tusk was the first one, I liked Tusk). This movie stars Harley Quinn Smith (Kevin's Daughter) and Lily-Rose Depp (Johnny Depp's daughter) as two teenage clerks of a Canadian Quickie Mart. Very clerks feel, except with out the smart dialog or the cohesive cast. People start dying from tiny Nazi monsters through the butt. It gets worse from there. Johnny Depp, Justin Long, and a few others have small roles. 1.5/10.

JimBob: No boobs were seen or harmed, and wouldn't have made this movie any better.
Snoochie boochies

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Boo a madea Halloween: the wife like to check these out as she has found a few funny. Let's get one thing out of the way first and that is that this movie is crap. That said it has four or five exchanges that are absolutely hilarious and is extremely non PC at times. Some here might be triggered by the language. 2/10 for the movie but a few scenes are hilarious.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Zookeepers wife: set in Poland during the German invasion of WWII. Jessica chastaine and her husband run the Warsaw zoo and love the animals. The whole family has a tight bond with the animals as well as the people who work there. The zoo is hit with bombs and many animals die, lots escape and others that are considered dangerous are killed rather than recaptured even though most had been domesticated. She makes a deal to send the animals to Berlin but they double cross her and only take the cool ones and kill the rest. This pisses them off. After seeing what is happening in town They make a deal to be a place for domestic animals like pigs to be raised and start snuggling Jews out through the tunnel system and find help of others that help with document forging. Based on a true story and starts to fall flat after the bombing happens. It drags and is boring. Nowhere near as powerful as other movies of similar story and the cast is just ok. Other than her the only person you recognize is a guy they pick to play the European bad guy in a lot of stuff these days. Was actually disappointed in this one. 5/10

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Are we reviewing TV series in this thread?

Recently watch the first season of Ozark. Absolutely outstanding. Must watch. Kinda like Breaking Bad but centered around money laundering rather than meth.

Bosch. LA homicide detective series. Very good as well. Has quite a few of the same actors as The Wire.

Watching Ray Donovan now. Not as good at the above two series but still fun to watch. Lots of F bombs, maybe the most of all time. Sort of a cross between Sopranos and Get Shorty. Hollywood muscle with family issues running around town constantly dealing with crazy drama.

All three have boobs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb