Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Watched that 12 Soldiers movie about the ODA team that used horses during the Afghan campaign kickoff. Was really really good.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
The greatest Showman - not usually a big fan of musicals but a lot of people I trust gave it great reviews. Was good but not as good as expected.

History of PT Barnum and seems to fly through a lot of stuff and I’m sure it skips things for sake of time. It also has its flaws besides that but they are masked by well timed musical numbers. I did enjoy more than LaLa Land but I do feel like things were missing from the story that could have been more interesting than a few parts they spent a lot of time on. 7/10

No boobs were scene or harmed and don’t remember any confirmed animal fatalities.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Avengers: Infinity War (2018): I read the comic before going to see this, and the only marvel movie I haven't seen yet is Black Panther. First, the only things that is based on the story from the comic is the "snap" and Thanos' quest to destroy 50% of the life in the Universe. The Russo's did a great job managing the movie parts in this first part of a two part story (Avengers 4). The pacing and story, kept moving along and everyone go their "moment. Thanos was played better than expected out of Brolin, and the rationale for his plan really makes him the protagonist in "part 1". It is a movie made for the big screen. The ending was perfect for what the film was. I give it a 9/10.

Threat Matrix Matrix: no boobs were seen or harmed in this movie.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Avengers: Infinity War (2018): Yeah, that was REALLY ****ing good.

Threat Matrix Matrix Correction to Douglas: True, no boobs were seen, but there is "nips ahoy!" through her outfit with the bald black chick (not sure of her name, haven't seen Black Panther yet).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Threat Matrix Matrix Correction to Douglas: True, no boobs were seen, but there is "nips ahoy!" through her outfit with the bald black chick (not sure of her name, haven't seen Black Panther yet).
Her name is Michonne.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hot black chick w a sword. Who else could it be?

The dreads are better imo.

I think she is from Zimbabwe.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Saw two recently

The week of - Netflix with Adam Sandler and Chris rock. Sandler is adverage middle class Dad who’s daughter is marrying heart surgeon rocks son. It’s a dramady about family coming togethor for the wedding. Has a few moments but is pretty bland. Sandler’s portrayal as an odd guy hurts the movie. 4/10

Last Flag Flying - Steve Carroll, Bryan Cranston and Lawrence fishburn star as three Vietnam friends that haven’t scene each other since the war. A recently widowed Carroll comes to them to travel with him to retrieve the body of his son who died in Afghanistan. They reconnect and come to terms with their own past regrets. It’s a buddy movie with some good parts and some that drag. 6/10.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
John Wick 2......absurd waste of celluloid

The best part of the 2nd one is the world, John Wick (don't care) the world of the hotel, etc... is the best part of that movie. I'm more interested in the television show they are building off of that than John Wick 3.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
9rG3AAWxfCim32GtqU4IyN4Yz_O9E708fsZK4YrXP3A.jpg

Last edited:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Saw two recently

The week of - Netflix with Adam Sandler and Chris rock. Sandler is adverage middle class Dad who’s daughter is marrying heart surgeon rocks son. It’s a dramady about family coming togethor for the wedding. Has a few moments but is pretty bland. Sandler’s portrayal as an odd guy hurts the movie. 4/10

Last Flag Flying - Steve Carroll, Bryan Cranston and Lawrence fishburn star as three Vietnam friends that haven’t scene each other since the war. A recently widowed Carroll comes to them to travel with him to retrieve the body of his son who died in Afghanistan. They reconnect and come to terms with their own past regrets. It’s a buddy movie with some good parts and some that drag. 6/10.
Tried watching the Week of a couple weeks ago and made it about 30-40 minutes into it...after 15 minutes I about shut it off but hoped it would go from being awful to just ok and get me through my flight...couldn't take it anymore and finally stopped it. I used to love Sandler movies but good lord this was brutal.

Want to try Last Flag Flying...looks decent

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Tried watching the Week of a couple weeks ago and made it about 30-40 minutes into it...after 15 minutes I about shut it off but hoped it would go from being awful to just ok and get me through my flight...couldn't take it anymore and finally stopped it. I used to love Sandler movies but good lord this was brutal.

Want to try Last Flag Flying...looks decent
His Netflix movies are just awful. Talk about taking them to the cleaners on that deal. I think the last movis of his I liked was the first Grown Ups.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Black Panther - a really solid Marvel movie. Not sure where I would rank it, but probably have it right outside my personal top 5 of theirs. Goes really fast and my only complaint is that not enough time was given between the time Michael B. Jordan's character makes it to Wakanda and the final climax. Would have liked to see more of him once he got there. I also thought they could have given him a little more screen time before he arrived there two. I felt like he was only in two-three scenes before that. On a side note Andy Serkis has become a really good actor. I know most only view him as the stop motion guy, but I have really enjoyed him in some of his live action parts. 7/10. I don't think it's the best marvel movie, but its a really good one.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
The Losers (2010)

Based off a DC comic, but it really reads like a wannabe A-Team. Small group of super military, double crossed by the CIA on a mission in South America and left for dead make their way back to the States to get revenge on the rogue operative that tried to have them killed. The cast is full of faces you'll recognize ("Clay" the leader is familiar, Chris Evans from CapAmerica, Idris Elba from Thor, Zoe Saldana from Gamora (yes, my Marvel references) and even the secondary characters have familiar faces in most of the roles). The film itself is a lot of shooting and explosions, but it does provide a minimal depth of plot to have you wondering Saldana's role and motivation to bankroll the revenge and we get a decent twist towards the end in terms of key relationships but even that gets a big explosion to end it. Dialogue is mostly meh but there are more than a dozen moments that will make you chuckle if not outright laugh. The ending does, of course, set up for sequels (doubt there will be any), but that kinda ties in with being based on a comic book where you need to leave an opening to follow up on.

No boobs seen, though Saldana spends a nice seen in her underwear, then a lot of clips of her making out with Clay where she is topless and ALWAYS edited right before you might see something.

All in all, not a great film, but one I'd recommend if your in the mood for an explosion filled A-Team knock off with decent laughs (intentional, not at how bad things are). 7/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb