Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Watched the Martian a couple of weeks ago. I liked it, but can see where some of the stuff was a stretch. Who shoots a rocket off w/o a nose cone because of weight? I know they tried to explain the lack of drag by the thin air comment, but I, as a lay person, don't buy it. No windows either, come on. Then again, I'm not an astrophysicist.
You realize that this aerodynamic marvel is in fact the thing that real astronauts blasted off of the moon in. Not only is there no "nosecone" but it is basically made out of aluminum foil, hose clamps, and zip ties.
14f79b0958af96b64b13e0d5ac819f65.jpg

One of my favorite things about the lunar module is that it had no seats. They just drove it standing up.
8783ea26201a40e7f3c75b9aaa0abb47.jpg

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
What's funny about The Martian is they use the thin atmosphere excuse to explain how he could take off to leave the planet, yet that very same thin atmosphere would make it impossible for a storm as severe as the one at the beginning to form.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I also find the Avengers movies pretty hard to believe, too. I mean, how do the Hulk's clothes still fit him after he shrinks back again? And don't get me started on the G-forces Ironman would have to be able to survive. I don't know, call me a skeptic.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You realize that this aerodynamic marvel is in fact the thing that real astronauts blasted off of the moon in. Not only is there no "nosecone" but it is basically made out of aluminum foil, hose clamps, and zip ties.
14f79b0958af96b64b13e0d5ac819f65.jpg

One of my favorite things about the lunar module is that it had no seats. They just drove it standing up.
8783ea26201a40e7f3c75b9aaa0abb47.jpg

You're going to equate the "no atmosphere" of the Moon, to the atmosphere of a planet?
:crazy:

I also don't think the lunar lander was hurling thru space at hundreds of miles per hour as the rocket he was in was. :dunno:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You're going to equate the "no atmosphere" of the Moon, to the atmosphere of a planet?
:crazy:
It's the same concept. Less resistance to motion equals less aerodynamics required for equal performance.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I finally saw 13 hours, then went and watched it again 2 weeks later at a dollar theater. God bless all the GRS operators, especially the fallen.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0493464/
This movie has been out for 8 years. Just watched it again for the umpteenth time this evening. It's a cool film and definitely worth your time. Lot's of action, and a naked Angelina Jolie when she was in her prime. I know she's Bat$hit Crazy nowadays, and way too thin, but she was hot back then...

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just watched the big short today...thought it was pretty damn good

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Seeing Batman vs. Superman tomorrow. Disappointed the critics are giving it mostly poor reviews, but I won't let that affect my enjoyment of Batfleck kicking that alien's ass.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Over Memorial Day weekend I watched The latest X-Men movie Apocalypse, it was good, but nothing ground shaking. Maybe I'm just getting use to all of the sequels that Marvel has been flooding the market with lately. Hugh Jackman has made a very nice living just off the X-Men series, likely more than most actors/esses make in their careers.

Last night I rented & watched 10 Cloverfield Lane. I have not seen the original Cloverfield movie, but suspect that it is somehow tied to this. It moves a little slow, and only leads to a sequel (in my opinion). Unlike most movies, I didn't figure it out in the first 1/4 of the run time, but that may also be attributed to the fact that I did not see the 2008 box office flop. There were some twists & turns that kept it interesting enough not to shut off.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Over Memorial Day weekend I watched The latest X-Men movie Apocalypse, it was good, but nothing ground shaking. Maybe I'm just getting use to all of the sequels that Marvel has been flooding the market with lately. Hugh Jackman has made a very nice living just off the X-Men series, likely more than most actors/esses make in their careers.

Last night I rented & watched 10 Cloverfield Lane. I have not seen the original Cloverfield movie, but suspect that it is somehow tied to this. It moves a little slow, and only leads to a sequel (in my opinion). Unlike most movies, I didn't figure it out in the first 1/4 of the run time, but that may also be attributed to the fact that I did not see the 2008 box office flop. There were some twists & turns that kept it interesting enough not to shut off.

Cloverfield at least for me was better than expected.

Saw the new Vacation and Martian over the weekend.

Both were good, I was surprised how much I laughed at Vacation... Was expected it just to be cash grab.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I go to the movies most Tuesday's after work for the $5 buck movie and typically seethe most recent flick to be released. Saw X-men & Captain America. Liked both but probably would lean towards Cap if I had to compare. Saw TMNT just because I felt like it and I had already seen everything else worth seeing. There were definitely some hokie parts but Gawdamn April O'Neil aka Megan Fox is one sexy beach! Saw Now You See Me 2 and it was pretty good. Keeps you guessing but you really need to see the first one to get a lot of the references. The Nice Guys was pretty funny and had a decent if not goofy and somewhat predictable plot. Money Monster was decent but I like just about anything with Julia Roberts. She is just a classy beautiful woman and I can't get enough of her laugh and that mouth just gets me. That being said it wa s good movie but I missed out on the last 20 minutes or so because the F'ing night manager shut off the film and turned on the lights and apparently didn't hear me yelling at her to turn the movie back on. Got two free tix out of the deal but that's not he point. Also I think I may have gotten her canned because last time I was there there was a different night manager. Oops!
Probably going to see Central Intelligence tomorrow night.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Finally saw Tropic Thunder. Wasn't terrible.

I liked Deadpool.

Went to see Warcraft with my son because we both played WOW. We've been waiting years. Good action and CGI but not satisfying as someone who played the game. It kinda takes place in a prequel time to when the game starts and there is not a lot of in-game homages. I understand they are making sequels though so looking forward to that.

Still haven't seen Captain America or X-Men and I'm boycotting BM v SM because I can't stomach that asshat Ben Affleck. Can't wait for Star Trek, this reboot has been my favorite of the entire franchise.

If you like yourself some nekked Angelina Joilie check out GIA.

Affleck was actually a really good Batman. The character wasn't well written, but he did a good job portraying Batman with what he was given. The biggest problem with that movie was it didn't explain things well, and the motivation of the characters were very questionable. They also tried to do too much. If Snyder wasn't the director, then it would have been a much better movie.

The new Captain America movie is the best superhero movie of the year so far. X-Men was good, but not nearly at Civil War level. I'm also looking forward to the new Star Trek and Bourne movies this year. I'm also a big Ghostbusters fan, so I'm curious to see the new reboot.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Finding Dory.

I have kids you bastards.

It was ok. I'd wait for home release.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You cried, didn't you?

Interestingly (and slightly shamefully), I've gotten very emotional during movies in the last few years. I freaking cried during Good Dinosaur when the dad died. I don't know what has caused this change.

Anyway, Finding Dory wasn't even remotely close to causing a tear. I came close to falling asleep actually.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Interestingly (and slightly shamefully), I've gotten very emotional during movies in the last few years. I freaking cried during Good Dinosaur when the dad died. I don't know what has caused this change.

Anyway, Finding Dory wasn't even remotely close to causing a tear. I came close to falling asleep actually.
Kids are probably the reason you cry now. I don't have kids but I'm a total emotional wreck with most movies involving any death or sad situations.

I haven't seen Dory or read anything to even know if it's emotional, I just wanted to bust your balls a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.