FILM ROOM: Driskel’s favorite pass play

News

Administrator
Jul 6, 2014
Ahh, I love the smell of football in the morning!   For those of us football junkies that view opening day like a kid views Christmas morning and having to wait an extra week to open our presents after seeing them lying there under the tree, Saturday’s contest couldn’t come soon enough.  Oh, and what a glorious opening game it was.  With all the focus on Kurt Roper, Jeff Driskel, and the offense, to say they delivered would be an understatement.  While there were a few miscues here and there, overall the new offense was everything I’ve been expecting and hoping for since Roper was...

Read the rest here: FILM ROOM: Driskel’s favorite pass play

More...

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
"This is one area where Jeff has made a clear improvement. Even a year ago, Jeff still struggled with getting through a read before the receiver got into his break, but notice that Pittman is still vertical and 2 yards from his cut by the time Driskel has hit the end of his drop and moved on to his #2 receiver in the progression. So much for that knock about locking on to receivers! At this point, Driskel sees and recognizes exactly what he needs to see."

That is the most important part of the article to me. Jeff is growing as a QB and with his physical talent the sky's the limit. Thanks for posting. Good stuff.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Part of the problem IMO , is a lot of fans don't know, or understand that Roper is training the Qb's to make their first reads from the line of scrimmage.So they don't see that he is making the reads and progressing. I do agree completely to see Jeff grow , and to think of what he can turn into.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n48270 said:
"This is one area where Jeff has made a clear improvement. Even a year ago, Jeff still struggled with getting through a read before the receiver got into his break, but notice that Pittman is still vertical and 2 yards from his cut by the time Driskel has hit the end of his drop and moved on to his #2 receiver in the progression. So much for that knock about locking on to receivers! At this point, Driskel sees and recognizes exactly what he needs to see."

That is the most important part of the article to me. Jeff is growing as a QB and with his physical talent the sky's the limit. Thanks for posting. Good stuff.
Nope the couch coaches here know all...Driskel only looks at 1 WR

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
I watched the game for a 2nd time last night (because I could not stand to hear another word about Ray Rice, so I didn't watch the nfl) and was really happy with the way Jeff ran the offense, He made the right read on all but about 4 plays and some of them he had pressure in his face. Did not lock on to many targets at all and the WRs he did lock on was go routes for the most part and the ones not caught was dropped or PIs other than the overthrow to Debose in the end zone.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great article and break down. When I saw the play I only thought cool, we got a 1st down, but after reading that, I feel smarter.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mudd;n48321 said:
I watched the game for a 2nd time last night (because I could not stand to hear another word about Ray Rice, so I didn't watch the nfl) and was really happy with the way Jeff ran the offense, He made the right read on all but about 4 plays and some of them he had pressure in his face. Did not lock on to many targets at all and the WRs he did lock on was go routes for the most part and the ones not caught was dropped or PIs other than the overthrow to Debose in the end zone.

Just watched all the offensive plays. He was pretty good except at the 9 minute mark where in consecutive plays he would have probably had picks against a good defense and shouldn't have thrown the ball.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
ReelGatorDoc;n48365 said:
Driskel tends to telegraph who he is throwing to. This will continue to bite him with better DB's

You didn't actually read the article, did you?

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n48382 said:
You didn't actually read the article, did you?

There was one?

bill_murray-stripes1981-1320.jpg

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
The progressions are built into the footwork on most good passing concepts. QB needs to know if he's going to his vertical route BEFORE he gets to the top of his drop so he can let it rip when he gets to that final step. Otherwise your late with the throw and the trouble ensues. If Vertical covered, hitch and hit #2. If that's not there, hitch again and hit the checkdown or get the hell out of dodge. Roper has been drilling them constantly about getting the ball out on time.
Timmy needed this type of coaching more than someone messing with his throwing motion. Quick feet, quick release.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Driskel tends to telegraph who he is throwing to. This will continue to bite him with better DB's

I counted 13 times where Driskel specifically looks at his first read and then moves on to the second and sometimes third guy. One of the deep plays looks as if it was to the third option. There were a few times he checked down rather than force something. Finally, this is my guess, but it appeared that most of the pass plays were simply one read plays like Oregon's system is famous for. I say appeared because I don't have access to the playbook.

Also, this kind of game is cake for a QB because EMU's corners played 7-10 yards off almost the entire game so reading the defense was easy. The SEC will not be so kind. That is why Roper called so many quick throws. Hopefully UK plays a more confusing defense that forces Driskel to think more.

The best play of all was Treon's second TD pass. EMU ran a defense they hadn't run at all in the game. Treon recognized it and made the throw. That was no gimme. It was very impressive read for a true freshman to make. This kid is smart and is already better than Tyler Murphy.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
One of my favorite sports writers these days.

Easy reads for Jeff if he can just keep the wheels between his ears moving quickly enough.

That play also shows that a QB can overcome quick pressure and poor line play. If he continues doing this, teams will blitz less and feel compelled to put more defenders in coverage. That of course opens up the running game (especially delays) and longer/combo routes.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Great article! Good to see Driskel progress like this and hope he keeps it up.

Once concern- Tyler Moore. Man that guy got beat...a lot! No offense to him but they looked much better when he wasn't in.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
maheo30 said:

I counted 13 times where Driskel specifically looks at his first read and then moves on to the second and sometimes third guy. One of the deep plays looks as if it was to the third option. There were a few times he checked down rather than force something. Finally, this is my guess, but it appeared that most of the pass plays were simply one read plays like Oregon's system is famous for. I say appeared because I don't have access to the playbook.

Also, this kind of game is cake for a QB because EMU's corners played 7-10 yards off almost the entire game so reading the defense was easy. The SEC will not be so kind. That is why Roper called so many quick throws. Hopefully UK plays a more confusing defense that forces Driskel to think more.

The best play of all was Treon's second TD pass. EMU ran a defense they hadn't run at all in the game. Treon recognized it and made the throw. That was no gimme. It was very impressive read for a true freshman to make. This kid is smart and is already better than Tyler Murphy.
Pretty easy throw actually. LB drifted out to disrupt seam route by slot giving Herndon inside leverage in middle of field with a clear throwing lane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator