Fish Depression Is Not a Joke

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know about fish depression, but they sure look happy when I release them back into the water after I've caught them.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I thought it was proven they have about a three second memory. Even if memory could last a minute or two, I cannot fathom (no pun intended) how they remember anything long enough to be depressed, or happy for that matter.

That said, I would expect most pet owners (fish owners especially) would say that their time around the animals has led them to believe the animals do in fact have depression, joy, etc. On fish, I can only speak to the 15 or so we went through with my daughter. Specifically, there was a beta that she had that would watch me enter the room and keep watching me wherever I went. I'm pretty sure he was pissed off, and rightfully so, as we later discovered my daughter had not fed the fish. I'm not talking about skipping a meal, I mean she lost the fish food and rather than tell us, this 8yr old girl lied her arse off. We lost a dozen fish and couldn't figure out why - even water pH testing came back fine, so we didn't understand what was happening. The beta was the last one she had, by the time we figured out what she was doing I tried to feed him and he wouldn't even look at the food. Next morning he spent half a day in death twitches before giving in.

I'll never forgive her such cruel treatment of animals (I know she was just a kid). And I'll never forget the way that fish looked at me for the days leading up to his death.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought it was proven they have about a three second memory. Even if memory could last a minute or two, I cannot fathom (no pun intended) how they remember anything long enough to be depressed, or happy for that matter.

That said, I would expect most pet owners (fish owners especially) would say that their time around the animals has led them to believe the animals do in fact have depression, joy, etc. On fish, I can only speak to the 15 or so we went through with my daughter. Specifically, there was a beta that she had that would watch me enter the room and keep watching me wherever I went. I'm pretty sure he was pissed off, and rightfully so, as we later discovered my daughter had not fed the fish. I'm not talking about skipping a meal, I mean she lost the fish food and rather than tell us, this 8yr old girl lied her arse off. We lost a dozen fish and couldn't figure out why - even water pH testing came back fine, so we didn't understand what was happening. The beta was the last one she had, by the time we figured out what she was doing I tried to feed him and he wouldn't even look at the food. Next morning he spent half a day in death twitches before giving in.

I'll never forgive her such cruel treatment of animals (I know she was just a kid). And I'll never forget the way that fish looked at me for the days leading up to his death.
I found your post severely depressing. If I didn't like you so much, I would have given it a dislike. #fishlivesmatter

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb