Fish Tacos...

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Actually posted the following in the Best Fish Fry thread, then I thought I'd like to get some good/better ideas on fixing really good fish tacos at home. What fish works best, sauces and condiments, etc. Anyway, here's what we did over the weekend:

Got away from the fryer over the Labor Day weekend. We decided to do tacos, quesadillas, etc. and I thought a little fish would work well. all I had on hand was some whiting, so I seasoned it with S&P, a little Everglades, and some lemon juice like always and then pan broiled it in some EVO in a hot skillet. After browning the tortillas a little (wish I would have gotten corn instead of flour), I put some shredded lettuce, tomato, and onion on and then put chunks of the fish on top of that. Next came some fresh avocado and lime juice. I'm not real big on cheese with fish, but a little shredded white cheddar wasn't bad. Lastly, a little homemade tartar sauce and the tacos were ready (I plan to experiment with some of the other sauces and crema that goes well with this item as well as cabbage instead of lettuce). I thought they'd be good, but they were actually even better than expected. Certainly could have been better with fresh seared tuna or a better grade of fish, but the whiting cooked up nicely, was firm, and flavored well with the seasonings. This will be a quick go-to from now on!

I got on the fish taco train a while back and the best I've had thus far come from a little joint in Mexico Beach (where we vacation frequently) called Killer Seafood. If you're ever in that area, it is worth the stop. Tacos either have tuna or a catch-of-the-day, which is usually grouper. They have other simple seafood items, calimari, shrimp baskets, and Po' boys for example, as well as offerings for the non-fish crowd. Beer is cold and if you have a sweet tooth, they have a great key lime pie. Cash only might be a drawback for some and it isn't fancy, but again, the food is really good as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately, we don't travel the coastal areas very much, or I'd have tried several other places to find the best fish tacos. Believe it or not, Outback has pretty good fish tacos for a steak chain.

I appreciate any ideas, feedback, etc. on the fixing, and even where to find really good ones around.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Agree with you on the shredded cabbage instead of lettuce, the lettuce seems limp and the cabbage plays off the softer fish and adds some needed texture. I like your home made tarter sauce you got going and agree also on the corn tortilla, I like the added crunch. Things don't get much better than grouper no matter how you fix it. Try smoked mullet, the flesh stays firm.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agree with you on the shredded cabbage instead of lettuce, the lettuce seems limp and the cabbage plays off the softer fish and adds some needed texture. I like your home made tarter sauce you got going and agree also on the corn tortilla, I like the added crunch. Things don't get much better than grouper no matter how you fix it. Try smoked mullet, the flesh stays firm.
Thanks Coot. Hadn't thought about the mullet, even though we used to eat a ton when my granddaddy was alive. Big problem up this way is that there aren't many decent fish markets. You might occasionally find something fresh in the grocery stores, but seems like all the fish markets of old are no more. I don't fish like I used to, so I'm reduced to the frozen stuff. I will say that I've bought some snapper flash frozen from Publix that wasn't bad, but it is kind of expensive. Still, if a man's gotta eat fish, he'll find the best he can.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Got to looking around and found a recipe for a cilantro-lime crema:

CREMA:
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
3 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove, minced

Not sure if I've had this, but it sounds like a good topping for the tacos. Anybody tried this or something similar or got something like this to share?

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. Pretty much any flaky white fish will do. Some kind of cabbage or carrot slaw. You could do tartar sauce or a spicy aioli with it (or whisk some hot sauce into some mayonnaise). Then the corn tortillas and you are set.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I knew a guy who called his girlfriend "fish taco" and another who called his "grouper". They were Marines. Probably not the same topic.

I got on the fish taco train a while back and the best I've had thus far come from a little joint in Mexico Beach (where we vacation frequently) called Killer Seafood. If you're ever in that area, it is worth the stop.
Try a few in a more authentic Mexican style. As much as I like sour cream and cheese, it isn't authentic.

Also, camarones (prawns shrimp whatever) are pretty authentic. My favorite is grilled camarones with chili powder, lemon juice, cilantro, pico (fresh preferably). Slices of avacodo. Big points for authentic taste if you can grill it over mesquite and fresh tortillas are worth the search. Some lil Mexican joint in the area will have real ones. I do my fish the same way. Cut it into small pieces like 3 inch by 1 and grill it. Wash it down with Pacifico if possible. ?Que mas magnifico?

Just thinking about it reminds me of a few friends and many evenings eating fresh grilled fish tacos. Descanza en paz, Jorge.

!Buenas!

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This thread could have gone a different way entirely.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law reminded me of an old joke...

What did the blind guy say in the fish market? "Hello ladies!"

But I digress. I think Law is right about the fresh ingredients when you can gather them up and I'm not so sure the fresh avocado isn't the co-star along with the lime. I've also enjoyed the shrimp in these concoctions, and they are excellent as well, but I gotta give the edge to a good piece of fish.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You mean something like "A new a guy in the military who called his girlfriend Fish Taco and his friend called his Tuna?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.