Fixing red zone woes a priority...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
IMO, to fix the red zone woes we need to fix the OL.

http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Fixing-red-zone-woes-a-priority-for-Franks-Gators-52239041

Red zone woes....

Fixing red zone woes a priority for Franks, Gators
Florida quarterback Feleipe Franks had a solid spring game, but coach Jim McElwain wants to see him get a bit sharper in the red zone.

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Leading the Florida offense, quarterback Feleipe Franks put together a productive spring game, though there were still some things that could have been cleaned up.

The redshirt freshman finished 8-14 passing for 119 yards and a touchdown, but the numbers coach Jim McElwain were more focused on were much simpler. Two out of three.

That is, two touchdowns on three red zone trips.

"Down in the red zone, we missed, what, three of them that were touchdowns if you hit the guy between the numbers on the chest," McElwain said. "It was pretty obvious. We’ve got to produce down there. Would’ve liked to see him hit those. But other than that, he did alright."

Florida ranked just 115th nationally a year ago in red zone touchdown percentage, scoring a touchdown on just 50 percent of its red zone trips.

Part of the blame there falls on the offensive line, which couldn't consistently generate a push in the run game to make things easier. But part of it also fell on quarterbacks who struggled to make throws into tight windows as the space tightens down in the red zone.

Franks hopes to correct that next fall.

"I think one of the biggest things for me will be getting through my progressions," he said. "I think continuing to work on that, footwork, everything, everything about that position needs to be sharp in order to play it. I think I’m going to keep working on that."

McElwain keeps it fairly simple for his quarterbacks, with a mantra they'll hear repeated over and over again.

"Just take what the defense gives you, and eventually they’ll give you the game," Franks said. "I think taking completions where they’re at in the red zone is going to help us tremendously as quarterbacks as we progress through the summer and fall."

It's not just finding the right guy, though. The quarterbacks need to make sure they can hit them. Franks has tended to err with high throws when he misses, which are particularly risky because that miss can lead to tipped passes or easy interceptions.

That has to be fixed.

"We’d like us to be a little more accurate with the ball," McElwain said. "We missed some throws that we’re going to have to hit, but we’ve just got to keep working on that."

In any case, Franks doesn't seem deterred by the few throws he missed. The clear leader to win Florida's starting job, he said he sees it more as another chance to grow.

"I think we can use the spring game as a stepping to go back and see what we did good and see what we did bad and and work on the flaws that we had throughout the spring and the summer so we’ll be able to be prepared for the fall going into the Michigan game," he said.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Of course things become somewhat more difficult deep in the red zone, you don't have the same space etc. That said fix our many issues on offense and most of the red zone issues go away. In fact if you can throw deep you can and will score outside the red zone especially if you have great receivers which we appear to have.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Seems like redzone has been a problem for years. When ever we complete a long play that gets stopped around the 5 I just throw my hands up and expect to see the FG unit. We've had two problems of late with an Oline that can't get it done and play calling. Hopefully the Oline is up to par but play calling is another story.
On the first drive we had 2nd and goal form the half yard line. Whatever happened to quick snap QB sneaks? Especially behind that big road grading center that we have now.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Seems like redzone has been a problem for years. When ever we complete a long play that gets stopped around the 5 I just throw my hands up and expect to see the FG unit. We've had two problems of late with an Oline that can't get it done and play calling. Hopefully the Oline is up to par but play calling is another story.
On the first drive we had 2nd and goal form the half yard line. Whatever happened to quick snap QB sneaks? Especially behind that big road grading center that we have now.

Nussmeisers playcalling goes to crap in the redzone and short yardage.. Gets too cute at times. how many times was it a 3rd and one and we ran a reverse, deep screen, etc.. instead of just getting the yard.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nussmeisers playcalling goes to crap in the redzone and short yardage.. Gets too cute at times. how many times was it a 3rd and one and we ran a reverse, deep screen, etc.. instead of just getting the yard.

For the life of me, I can't understand what fuels his hatred for a good old fashioned QB sneak when all you need is a yard.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
For the life of me, I can't understand what fuels his hatred for a good old fashioned QB sneak when all you need is a yard.

I have screamed these words at the TV on numerous occasions. Our oline better start getting some push up front if we are planning on winning games.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
If you take what the defense gives you, then when you get to the red zone and the defense gives you less and players are crowded into a smaller area, you have few options.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wanna fix the Red Zone? Fix the OL and affix K.Toney.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"Just take what the defense gives you, and eventually they’ll give you the game," Franks said. "I think taking completions where they’re at in the red zone is going to help us tremendously as quarterbacks as we progress through the summer and fall."

That sounds so 1950s. I hate that. Undoubtedly, that's what he is being told.

Don't attack, just take what they give you. Let the other defense lead the way.

So Sabanesque. So 9-6.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Spread doesn't work in the redzone. Too compressed. Unless you have a hammer back there who can runover 2-3 people that is.

Remember the little debate between Nicky the South Pole Elf and Urban Leyer during the 2010 BCSCG? Nicky said the problem with the spread is it doesn't work in the red zone and Leyer said that's why you switch to Single Wing with a power back?

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

I was listening to the announcer ranting and raving about how Toney dominated UF spring ball this year on the radio. I don't get it. No one saw anything more than the spring game and what Toney did against walkons does not mean that or really anything to me.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was listening to the announcer ranting and raving about how Toney dominated UF spring ball this year on the radio. I don't get it. No one saw anything more than the spring game and what Toney did against walkons does not mean that or really anything to me.
It's ok Mrs. Trask. We understand completely.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty funny retort, but were you encouraged that Toney might be a QB at UF?
I'm not encouraged that our coaches will be here another game, and I'm not encouraged at pretty much any personnel/recruiting decisions they've made, especially your son.

It doesn't really matter, bc Toney will be the second QB we see, maybe even before Franks if LDR isn't hurt. It just is what it is.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Spread doesn't work in the redzone. Too compressed. Unless you have a hammer back there who can runover 2-3 people that is.

... just a wording joke juxtapositioning fix & affix.
Should we factor in the "pre-O & B" negative-doubters' blanket thrown over this team of Gators = too lightweight, too slow, too stupid, too poorly coached, 3-digit ranked offense, = again a suffocating blanket.
This kid isn't really part of the team yet, he gained 74 yards. He is a player to be positively excited about.

I'd truly like to hear from GCMB knowledgeables (non-downers of course) a guess on how much Toney will play vs Michigan? a guess on his yards contribution - you know in the over 50 yards area ?

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
If you take what the defense gives you, then when you get to the red zone and the defense gives you less and players are crowded into a smaller area, you have few options.

You do have fewer options but some are still pretty good. If you have a storn

Fewer options of course. But if you have a good oline you can run the ball. I prefer the play action roll out option play at least once, mostly on first down. With a QB who can run and say a TE who can block and catch it is difficult to stop.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
You do have fewer options but some are still pretty good. If you have a storn

Fewer options of course. But if you have a good oline you can run the ball. I prefer the play action roll out option play at least once, mostly on first down. With a QB who can run and say a TE who can block and catch it is difficult to stop.

You are of course correct. Still if you are not a great play caller at mid field, I am not sure how you call plays in the redzone.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
IMO, to fix the red zone woes we need to fix the OL.

http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Fixing-red-zone-woes-a-priority-for-Franks-Gators-52239041

Red zone woes....

Fixing red zone woes a priority for Franks, Gators
Florida quarterback Feleipe Franks had a solid spring game, but coach Jim McElwain wants to see him get a bit sharper in the red zone.

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Leading the Florida offense, quarterback Feleipe Franks put together a productive spring game, though there were still some things that could have been cleaned up.

The redshirt freshman finished 8-14 passing for 119 yards and a touchdown, but the numbers coach Jim McElwain were more focused on were much simpler. Two out of three.

That is, two touchdowns on three red zone trips.

"Down in the red zone, we missed, what, three of them that were touchdowns if you hit the guy between the numbers on the chest," McElwain said. "It was pretty obvious. We’ve got to produce down there. Would’ve liked to see him hit those. But other than that, he did alright."

Florida ranked just 115th nationally a year ago in red zone touchdown percentage, scoring a touchdown on just 50 percent of its red zone trips.

Part of the blame there falls on the offensive line, which couldn't consistently generate a push in the run game to make things easier. But part of it also fell on quarterbacks who struggled to make throws into tight windows as the space tightens down in the red zone.

Franks hopes to correct that next fall.

"I think one of the biggest things for me will be getting through my progressions," he said. "I think continuing to work on that, footwork, everything, everything about that position needs to be sharp in order to play it. I think I’m going to keep working on that."

McElwain keeps it fairly simple for his quarterbacks, with a mantra they'll hear repeated over and over again.

It's not just finding the right guy, though. The quarterbacks need to make sure they can hit them. Franks has tended to err with high throws when he misses, which are particularly risky because that miss can lead to tipped passes or easy interceptions.

That has to be fixed.

"We’d like us to be a little more accurate with the ball," McElwain said. "We missed some throws that we’re going to have to hit, but we’ve just got to keep working on that."

In any case, Franks doesn't seem deterred by the few throws he missed. The clear leader to win Florida's starting job, he said he sees it more as another chance to grow.

"I think we can use the spring game as a stepping to go back and see what we did good and see what we did bad and and work on the flaws that we had throughout the spring and the summer so we’ll be able to be prepared for the fall going into the Michigan game," he said.

The data quoted in this article is incorrect. UF was 126/128 in Red Zone offense, not 115, we were 107 in First Downs Offense & Scoring Offense and 116 in Total Offense. I do agree that the OL has sucked for the past two seasons under Summers. I did not see much improvement in the OL in the O & B game. Several times Franks would have been sacked, when he made completions but, the ref's did not blow the whistle.

IMO, Mac was trying to pump up Franks as he did Del Taco in last year's O & B Game. The second team OL is abysmal, poor Trask had to play behind that crap for most of the game so, of course, he did not look as good as Franks. If, I were a betting man I would bet the house that Del Taco trots out for first team snaps against Michigan.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
You are of course correct. Still if you are not a great play caller at mid field, I am not sure how you call plays in the redzone.

Exactly my point. Now calling plays is important, but with great SEC defenses other things are also important. The QB must be able to change in real time the play, the rest of the team needs to adapt to the actual defense, the players must execute their responsibilities correctly. Mostly one mistake (say a missed blitz pickup for example) can mess up a play somewhat. We have had issues with this some of which got a QB hurt last year. This summer the team and its leaders must work hard by themselves to improve in these areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb