Florida’s 3-0 SEC start is more about talent than luck

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Florida’s 3-0 SEC start is more about talent than luck

https://theathletic.com/114726/2017/09/30/floridas-3-0-sec-start-is-more-about-talent-than-luck/

First, there was the 63-yard, Feleipe Franks-to-Tyrie Cleveland prayer that beat Tennessee on the final play of the game. Then last week in Lexington, Kentucky’s defense inexplicably left Freddie Swain wide open in the end zone, allowing Swain to catch perhaps the easiest game winner you’ll ever see.

And on Saturday, there was Swain again, diving to haul in a one-handed, 33-yard reception after Vanderbilt’s Ryan White tipped it right to him. Three plays later, Florida scored the touchdown that ultimately put the game out of reach in a 38-24 victory.

So, is the 21st-ranked Gators’ 3-0 start to SEC play the result of skill or serendipity? Fortitude or flukiness?

Florida has undoubtedly benefitted from some good fortune in these wins, but to paint its early perch atop the SEC East standings as a house of cards built on nothing more than a run of luck would be wrongheaded.

At a certain point, it’s more than luck. For all its problems — and there are plenty of them — Florida is finding ways to win conference games. And not only conference games, but division games.

Saturday’s win against Vanderbilt was particularly impressive. Gators running backs Malik Davis and Lamical Perine combined for 182 rushing yards and five touchdowns. Florida’s defense was only on the field for seven plays in the third quarter and the Gators doubled Vanderbilt in second-half time of possession, allowing a 17-17 halftime tie to become a relatively comfortable Florida win.

Florida lost starting quarterback Luke Del Rio for the season with a late first-half collarbone injury — a decidedly unlucky break for a player whom Gators coaches love both on and off the field.

Franks replaced Del Rio and was 10-of-14 for 185 yards against Vandy. The Gators will now apparently roll with the redshirt freshman Franks and his cannon of an arm. He started the first three games this season but was benched in favor of Del Rio in the second half at Kentucky.

This is also a Florida team missing nine players — including 2016 leading rusher Jordan Scarlett and star wideout Antonio Callaway — who are caught up in a felony credit card fraud case.

And as far as the aforementioned lucky plays go, those don’t happen without skill. Franks escaped pressure before sending that Week 3 winning pass 66 yards in the air to Cleveland. Swain’s highlight-reel catch on Saturday isn’t possible without immense talent.

Swain’s winning catch at Kentucky … well, OK. Point taken. Having a receiver completely uncovered is pretty lucky — and it happened twice in that game.

And hey, there’s nothing wrong with a little luck. Coaching legend Don Shula once said, “Sure, luck means a lot in football. Not having a good quarterback is bad luck.”

Franks is now unquestionably the Gators’ quarterback. He’s one of 10 signal callers who have started for Florida since Tim Tebow, and all of Gator Nation hopes he can be the spark that brings their long-dormant offense back to life.

It’s probably too early to tell just how good Franks is, but his performance the rest of the way — beginning with next week’s home game against LSU — will have a far greater impact on Florida’s ultimate success or failure than will luck.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Of course it's the athletes. The schedule is luck, the wins aren't. We have athletes. It's a matter of utilizing them. We don't. Regardless, more times than not, the team with the better athletes wins the game.

Tennessee -- check. Kentucky -- check. Vandy -- check.

Better question is how much stock we put in wins over these teams.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
JFC. Someone please inform author Kersey Mac is as good as gone and the only real issue for Gators is who will be new HC and when can he get here.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Better question is how much stock we put in wins over these teams.

Bingo. BMF's other article is very telling in how crappy the entire SEC is now. UK, Vandy and Tenn just aren't very good but I am sure it will give some posters false hope.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bingo. BMF's other article is very telling in how crappy the entire SEC is now. UK, Vandy and Tenn just aren't very good but I am sure it will give some posters false hope.

Even our October schedule is weak, at least on the front end. We could go 2-1 and further the false hope.

Mac's legacy is scraping by the bottom of the heap, which is most of the schedule, while losing to the few ranked teams we play. Again, a function of a shytty SEC East. Nobody's ranked.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Fake news. Law has already informed me that I live a surrealistic existence and that articles like this don't exist.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not trying to be negative but let's be a bit realistic.

We have beat Kentucky for 30 years.
With the exception of Mac, every coach has best Tennessee for the last 11 years
With the exception of Muschump, we have beat Vandy for 26 years.

So we are usually 3-0 this time of year. Truth be told we needed a hail mary vs Tenn, UK to wet the bed, and Vandy gave us all we could handle.

The fact that we are even mentioning the amount of luck it took for those 2 wins says alot.

I would be ecstatic if it was superior talent and coaching. I'll even take luck if it wins us games. But I think there is an overwhelming consensus that UF football is ugly

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I think the most sobering stat I read this morning on how AWFUL the SEC is...Bama might not play another ranked team till the Iron Bowl.

The SEC is GARBAGE folks. Mac is riding on the wave of a garbage division. Can't beat ranked teams. Is that what you want?

Last edited:

MotownGator

Legacy member
BANNED
Jul 19, 2014
Excuses, excuses, for all we know, Chubby pup might get injured by the time of WLOCP. He has seems to be injury prone. You can only win the games you play.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
think the most sobering stat I read this morning on how AWFUL the SEC is
Most of that falls squarely on the shoulders of the coach's.....Even the West which is probably athlete-wise better than the East is suffering at the hands of guys who would make Bob Davie and Ty Willingham look like football Gods....I've never seen anything like it.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Most of that falls squarely on the shoulders of the coach's.....Even the West which is probably athlete-wise better than the East is suffering at the hands of guys who would make Bob Davie and Ty Willingham look like football Gods....I've never seen anything like it.

Wouldn't that fall on the AD's picking said coaches?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator