Florida’s overall talent: Bad as we think?

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
i saw a tweet earlier this morning that pointed out the absolute atrociousness of our LB room and it got me thinking what some of our other areas are from an overall talent perspective

Here is our linebacker talent:

Abysmal. Embarrassing. Atrocious. Basically non-functioning.

Heres our oline:

Noah Banks: 2 Star. .79
Chris Bleich: 3 Star .88 (not bad. Has years to play.)
Nick Buchanan: 3 Star .82 (borderline 2 Star)
Fred Johnson: 3 Star, .83 (gone after this year thank god)
Martez Ivey: 5 Star, .98 (plays like a 1 Star, gone thank god)
Jean Dealance: 4 Star .94 (3 Years left)
Stone Forsythe: 3 Star .84 (3 Years left)
Richard Gourage: 4 Star .96 (4 Years left)
Kavarris Harkless: 3 Star .84 (gone after this year thank god)
Brett Heggie: 3 Star .86 (3 Years left)
TJ MCCoy: 3 Star, .82 ( one year left. Probsbly never plays again )
Griffin McDowell: 3 Star, .83
TJ Moore: 4 Star. 90 (freshman. 4 Years left. Could be a future starter)
Jawaan Taylor: 3 Star, .84 (was a bright spot. Overall bad play from the oline overshawdoing anything good happening. Also a junior)
James Washington: 2 Star, .77 (has no business being at UF)

A lot of the the upper classmen are garbage when it comes to talent with some good talent under neath them. Overall quality of talent on the Oline is not up to snuff.

Safety:

Stiner: 3 Star, .85 (not UF material)
Brad Stewart: 4 Star .94 ( good talent. Listed as dB. Big enough to move to safety if need be)
Nick Oelrich: walkon. No Star.
Brady Walters- 5 foot 9 walkon. No stars. Lol.
Amari Burney: 4 Star .92 (freshman. Young but a good player for the future)
John Huggins: 3 Star, .88 (came in as a DB, probsbly have to use him as a safety. Zero depth here. Played well in opener)
Jawaan Taylor: 3 Star .88 (piss poor safety)
That’s pretty much it

Let’s take a look at the “talented” defensive line

Luke Ancrum: 3 Star, .81 (basically a 2 star rated in the 1,000s overall player in the country. Not UF talent.
Kyree Campbell: 3 Star, .87 (soph)
Antonneous Clayton, 5 star bust
Elijah Conliffe: 4 Star, .89 (soph. Time to develop. But I do like him)
Marlon Dunlap: 3 Star, .83 (junior)
Cece Jefferson: 5 Star, .99(senior, hasn’t played. Best player we have)
Malik Langham: 4 Star, .89 (freshman. Will be good. Bama wanted him bad)
Jachai Polite: 3 Star, .85 (junior)
Adam Shuler: 3 Star .84 (senior)
Tedarell Slaton: 4 Star .96 (sophomore, good depth to have to build around. Good player)
Zuniga: 3 star .86(junior)
Zachary Carter: 4 Star .94 (second year)

Basically. There’s a ton of non Florida talent taking up the upper classmen spots and some good talent behind them as freshman and sophomores. We still have a bad qb room, but the positions after this class should be turning over to a more quality looking board across the spectrum.

Nothing changes the poor play calling, but Florida has got to graduate or transfer some of these kids out.

No depth at safety. Barely serviceable from a talent perspective as is. Linebackers are hot garbage. D line has spotty talent across the board. Oline is hot garbage but has some good talent behind the upper classmen. We all know this but sometimes it’s nice to see the numbers spread out to really take a whiff of the stink that is our entire football roster

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Do you believe we have at least equal talent with Kentucky?
Better. But they obviously had a better mindset. Maybe I’m one the few who remembers how pathetic this team was last year. Can’t fix laziness or overnight instill the will to want to play hard. A lot of these kids still have that Mac stench all over them. They need to be thrown out of town

Gameplan was awful. But we aren’t talented.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good Coaches develop players...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We are paying a coaching a top 10 salary, he should be able to outcoach teams with equal or lesser talent. Mullen knew what he had before the game, knew what he had in August. He knew what he had in April and May. There is no argument that this isn't a Florida Talented Roster, but at $6 Million a year you don't lose this game.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
You should leave out the walk-ons. All teams have walk-ons, even Alabama and Ohio State. (James Washington is a walk-on, btw).

But yes, our talent level is down. We aren't hanging w/ UGA, Alabama, or even Auburn & Kentucky (apparently). But we have enough talent to win games we "should" win (like Kentucky, and Missouri, and Vandy, and Colorado State, etc).

The 247 talent composite is a pretty good scale to judge where your team is talent wise - sure, some 3-stars become super-stars and some 5-stars are busts, we all get it. We have top 20 talent. We shouldn't lose - at home - to the Kentucky's of the world. And we damn sure shouldn't be giving up 300 yards rushing to a Kentucky (or 230 yards to a Charleston Southern).

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Rayshad Jackson was a Rivals 2 star and played like it against KY despite being credited with a lot of assisted tackles. They guy showed real bad instincts for the ball and missed a couple of tackles also.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is the least talented Gators team since the seventies. Anyone who paid the slightest attention to what Butters was recruiting should have known that. One third to one half of the roster is FIU/FAU crap, we agree.

And yet, we have more talent than Kintucky, Vandy, Col State and several others. Any losses to those teams is simply terrible coaching. We also have much more talent than Cowbell, Mizzu, and Cocks but fully expect those teams to destroy us also. (Mizzu vs our safeties is going to be something you dont want to watch.)

However we know that. Mullinz is a 50% coach versus teams that arent cupcake geographical schools. And has basically zero success against schools with more talent than he has.

I was hoping for seven wins, but unless he figures out the QB cant be the main ball carrier with this roster and that he needs to feed Davis, Toney, and maybe Pierce, I fully expect another 4 win season. He hasnt adjusted in the past. I dont really expect him to now.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good Coaches develop players...

I’m going to play a little bit of devils advocate here. Since it looks like Mullenis getting absolutely crucified here.

We’ve only had two games this year. He’s already done wonders with Franks. He didn’t have a particularly good game plan with throwing the ball 38 times, but that OL is not run blocking for shyt.

Absolutely blasted the defensive performance in his press conference.

He said we are down 4 DBs in numbers. Plus we have four DBs out due to injury. Which actually puts us down eight DBs.

Talent wise, we are really sucking wind at safety. Somebody made a comment that Burney needs to move to Star and Gardner needs to move to safety. I think that would help somewhat.

There is nothing they can do about linebacker. None of these linebackers would have played on any Meyer, Zook, Spurrier, or Muschamp teams. They are not even SEC talent. They are like FIU talent. Out of all of our DBs we probably have four that are any good. Which means we have zero depth. Those are Henderson, Wilson (out for the season), Stewart, and Davis (Out). You could probably add Burney to the mix but he was a athlete more than anything in high school and he is going to take a little bit of refinement until he’s ready. So we need probably around 12 DBs and we probably have about 4. Maybe 5.

This is going to be a long season on defense. But those of us that have been following recruiting have been screaming about Mac recruiting defense for the last three years.

To @Slevin point in the OP - All of our OL talent are first and second-year players. And I think they need to bench those that are not bringing the effort to send a message.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
We are paying a coaching a top 10 salary, he should be able to outcoach teams with equal or lesser talent. Mullen knew what he had before the game, knew what he had in August. He knew what he had in April and May. There is no argument that this isn't a Florida Talented Roster, but at $6 Million a year you don't lose this game.
Sure. Nick Saban lost at home to Louisiana Lafayette. Overreaction after game two is what I find to be the most embarrassing. If you have a shyt roster they’re going to play like shyt.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I’m going to play a little bit of devils advocate here. Since it looks like Mullenis getting absolutely crucified here.

We’ve only had two games this year. He’s already done wonders with Franks. He didn’t have a particularly good game plan with throwing the ball 38 times, but that OL is not run blocking for shyt.

Absolutely blasted the defensive performance in his press conference.

He said we are down 4 DBs in numbers. Plus we have four DBs out due to injury. Which actually puts us down eight DBs.

Talent wise, we are really sucking wind at safety. Somebody made a comment that Burney needs to move to Star and Gardner needs to move to safety. I think that would help somewhat.

There is nothing they can do about linebacker. None of these linebackers would have played on any Meyer, Zook, Spurrier, or Muschamp teams. They are not even SEC talent. They are like FIU talent. Out of all of our DBs we probably have four that are any good. Which means we have zero depth. Those are Henderson, Wilson (out for the season), Stewart, and Davis (Out). You could probably add Burney to the mix but he was a athlete more than anything in high school and he is going to take a little bit of refinement until he’s ready. So we need probably around 12 DBs and we probably have about 4. Maybe 5.

This is going to be a long season on defense. But those of us that have been following recruiting have been screaming about Mac recruiting defense for the last three years.

To @Slevin point in the OP - All of our OL talent are first and second-year players. And I think they need to bench those that are not bringing the effort to send a message.
Yep. On top of it, multiple drop passes that would have gone to the house if caught. A missed field goal that should have been good.

That Tyrie catch across the middle would have gone to the house and we aren’t even talking about this. Some aspects the coaches can’t control.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Oh – and by the way I do think Huggins (Freshman)is going to be really good. And Dean (Freshman) has potential.

And as far as LB I think Ventrell Miller is going to be really good as well. I think he’s the only talented LB (potentially) on the roster.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sure. Nick Saban lost at home to Louisiana Lafayette. Overreaction after game two is what I find to be the most embarrassing. If you have a shyt roster they’re going to play like shyt.

So there was no overreaction in game 1? I'm not overreacting, just being honest about the state of business.. He is paid like a top 10 coach, he should beat teams with lesser or equal talent. That is coaching. If we got boat raced by LSU, Alabama, etc... teams with better talent, that is on the garbage he was left with. Hell it would be understandable to lose to MSU or Tennessee... but this was Kentucky, with no half time adjustments and them rushing for 300 yards. He will get three years, but it's no stretch of the imagination that year 4 just got a lot harder. He managed to do something that the two worse coaches in most of our life times couldn't do.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Oh – and by the way I do think Huggins (Freshman)is going to be really good. And Dean (Freshman) has potential.

And as far as LB I think Ventrell Miller is going to be really good as well. I think he’s the only talented LB (potentially) on the roster.

LB and safeties are garbage.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
So there was no overreaction in game 1? I'm not overreacting, just being honest about the state of business.. He is paid like a top 10 coach, he should beat teams with lesser or equal talent. That is coaching. If we got boat raced by LSU, Alabama, etc... teams with better talent, that is on the garbage he was left with. Hell it would be understandable to lose to MSU or Tennessee... but this was Kentucky, with no half time adjustments and them rushing for 300 yards. He will get three years, but it's no stretch of the imagination that year 4 just got a lot harder. He managed to do something that the two worse coaches in most of our life times couldn't do.
Doesn’t always work like that. To think 100% of every coach has ever beaten teams with lesser talent means you don’t pay attention to football, ever.

Ohio State was blown out by Iowa. IOOOOWWAAAA. BLOWN OUT. OSU is the second most talent team in the country and Iowa is less talented than Kentucky. And this was Urbans what 5th year at OSU? Get a grip.

They say you can’t fix stupid and you certainly can’t make a loser ass team recruited by Mac all of a sudden good either.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The OLD standby of every team with a shyt coach.

I saw it one Null and Vole board last week too.

Here's a clue for you, Nick Saban didnt lose to South Alabama in year 7. That should make you know how stupid you and everyone else is who contantly compare their loser coaches to Nick Saban.

Also, Nick Saban brought in a number one class after that first year. How's Cousin Eddie doing?

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
The OLD standby of every team with a shyt coach.

I saw it one Null and Vole board last week too.

Here's a clue for you, Nick Saban didnt lose to South Alabama in year 7. That should make you know how stupid you and everyone else is who contantly compare their loser coaches to Nick Saban.

Also, Nick Saban brought in a number one class after that first year. How's Cousin Eddie doing?
Dude. It’s the second ****ing game with arguably the least talented Florida team since 79. Here’s an idea, delete your account, and stop watching for 4 years if you can’t handle it. Just stop being such a bytch

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.