Florida blows first game of SEC Tournament to Arkansas

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I sort of agree with you. In White's defense it is possible that his big man was going to be the kid who got in trouble in Orlando. Also of course UF is probably losing a PG, SG and undersized SF. White probably feels that since one of the SGs he signed is 6'5" tall he has replaced Koulechov, but I sort of doubt it.

I think you’re on the right track Insti with how and why White recruited last year. Williams was leaning UF before he got into trouble and we dropped him like a hot potato.
We would have had our starting PG this past season if SGA doesn’t flip to KY last minute. Thankfully White picked up Okauru who looked pretty good for a Frosh. Can he be a full time PG or will he share time with Allen (assuming he stays) or the newcomer Nembhard (6’5” PG, borderline 5*)?
Nembhard is definitely not 3Gors replacement. Locke is more that guy (scorer), so he replaces a portion of Hudsons scoring. I think Ballard needs to up his game to be that perimeter scorer/rebounder that 3Gor is. He has the potential; just needs to put it together.
Johnson ( the other newcomer) is a wild card as he was a late developer in HS, but apparently has loads of potential.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
DublW has what UF needs. White's crummy if he doesn't recruit this guy convincingly.

1) WW is an inside "presence" -- the kind UF can't seem to attract out of H.S.

2) You can see that Walker plays "big-man" style = gets the ball and forces his defenders back toward the basket, then scores or passes for layup assists.

3) WW causes defenses to collapse inside because they fear our "inside guy" will score. This opens paths for a driver to score.

4) *** He's got two years eligibility remaining and high likelihood of staying for both.(build around that some)

5) per game 11 points ('16-'17 seasons) 6 rebs ; not static stats = inside presents from our "inside presence"

6) he's adept at dribbling & crafty at passing assists.

7) ** among the tall trees, Wyatt does not back down = it isn't futile to pass it in to WW (like with Hayes or Gak.)

8) he's got full experience ... against enough respected teams.

9) It's a position we've been a black hole with the last several years.!!

Another big man with injury issues?
:doh:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
DublW has what UF needs. White's crummy if he doesn't recruit this guy convincingly.

1) WW is an inside "presence" -- the kind UF can't seem to attract out of H.S.

2) You can see that Walker plays "big-man" style = gets the ball and forces his defenders back toward the basket, then scores or passes for layup assists.

3) WW causes defenses to collapse inside because they fear our "inside guy" will score. This opens paths for a driver to score.

4) *** He's got two years eligibility remaining and high likelihood of staying for both.(build around that some)

5) per game 11 points ('16-'17 seasons) 6 rebs ; not static stats = inside presents from our "inside presence"

6) he's adept at dribbling & crafty at passing assists.

7) ** among the tall trees, Wyatt does not back down = it isn't futile to pass it in to WW (like with Hayes or Gak.)

8) he's got full experience ... against enough respected teams.

9) It's a position we've been a black hole with the last several years.!!

First of all, remember a bit after this time last year UF fans were talking about Pitt grad transfer Cameron Johnson who had two years left. He also flirted with UK but ended up at UNC where after an early season injury he has done well. Koulechov did not come on to our radar here until a week or so after Johnson.

Second, I agree with many of your points though Bart's point about health is very important. I am trying to find an actual article that says when he was injured, but no luck so far.

Third remember above I said this:

Wyatt Walker is listed 6'9" 240 lbs. Back of the envelope calculations based on Barry and Koulechov's numbers and how much they fell off coming to UF suggest Walker would be about at 8.5 points per game and 7.8 rebound per game guy in about 23 minutes per game of play for UF.

Of course the caveat with all of these guys is the something about their quickness, defense etc that would cause them not to translate to high D1 at all.

Well I calculated his numbers in his games against better competition. He had 8 games in his two years against NMSU, Cincy, St. Louis, FSU, UL, UTx, UNL and UAR. In those 8 games he averaged 26 min, 9.1 points, 7.4 rebounds and 0.75 assists per game while shooting 52% from the field and 65% from the FT line. So that is two ways of looking at what UF might get from him and they basically agree.

I think he is a better FT shooter than that as this is a small sample and he just sent 1-4 in one game and really was not fouled in several games. The lack of drawing fouls might be a concern, but might because Samford as out manned going 2-6 in those games and you defend without fouling if you can. This sample of games also includes his first game of his frosh year and a couple of other early games that year where he had not quite established himself yet so his minutes were in the teens, so maybe he would be slightly better at UF.

Still overall I think the two methods giving similar results is interesting. One can quibble about NMSU and St. Louis being good enough to include in this sample and Walker was better than his averages against these two opponents. NMSU was an NCAA team but a 13 seed that year. To me the question is are they similar to whomever is at the bottom of the SEC each year. NMSU is in the WAC and St. Louis U is in the A10 so they are midmajors not high majors. Then again all 8 games are road games so maybe his numbers would be better with half or more of his games at home as they would be at UF.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Another big man with injury issues?
:doh:
What do you think Hayes ceiling is or has he already reached it? I know he's been disappointing this year, but sometimes bigs take time to develop and make surprising leaps toward the end of their college career. He doesn't seem to have much on court rapport with Cheese. Maybe a new PG and another year of strength and conditioning can propel him to at least functional offensively.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hayes has the good size-weight. My observation is if coaching & team-style incentivizes Hayes, he's a quicker jumper than opponents. He does need extreme S&C, emphasis on "fingerstrength", on immediately launching his body squared to the basket, never bringing the ball downward. Because they'll have to foul him, he needs to hit 70+% FTs. We could be proud of Hayes only as much as we can be proud of our coaching.
Is "big-man" coaching absent at UF?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Speaking of Hayes, I found this on twitter and notice the date is last summer:

Wyatt Walker‏ @wyatt33walker
My brother for life @KevarriusHayes

DH8lAKeVYAE9kMB.jpg

2:35 AM - 24 Aug 2017

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What do you think Hayes ceiling is or has he already reached it? I know he's been disappointing this year, but sometimes bigs take time to develop and make surprising leaps toward the end of their college career. He doesn't seem to have much on court rapport with Cheese. Maybe a new PG and another year of strength and conditioning can propel him to at least functional offensively.

I think Hayes has reached his potential, but Rog continues to mention a potential lack of ‘big man coaching’ so maybe that has something to do with it. It does seem like all of our coaches were former guards.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Correct Bart, I am 'rantish' about our "big man" punyhood. Not since our back-back natty-guys have we had a single inside guy that presented a problem for the opposition, thereby some solution for us. And before that how many years without. How many top-20 programs neglect recruiting/developing that spot. It's getting like UF has a tradition of non-competing 'big-men ?? It has to stop, via recruiting and via coaching inside reliance,?? Without it we will get nowhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb