Florida blows first game of SEC Tournament to Arkansas

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure plenty of GatChat once-players picked up some practicing tricks from their past coaches. A meticulously good coach breaks play into small fractions needing mastery. Coach Kunkel made Ribault a 20 game winning powerhouse back before integration. (No racist thought; just verifying that Kunkel did it the hard way = without African American skills.) Kunkel was 6'9 and had played as the touring opponent against the Harlem Globetrotters (= fun stories)??

He took sunglasses and cut them "just-so" the players could not look at their dribble. It is immeasurable how "no-sight" biofeedback skyrockets ball handling wisdom. He ordered the players to hang from the door-jambs for as long as can, to strengthen their grips -- I know that allowed me to run out holding 5 more towels than I used-to could. He also got in there and demonstrated inside dominant banging - broke one player's arm. That player came back chomping at the bit and quite a bit fiercer. Beneath the rim, Kunkel used his butt as a perfect non-fouling blockout; it's better than a stiff elbow that gets you in foul trouble.

Practice the detail-smarts that give you advantages. Repeat rehearse repeat. Us spectators know it when we see it, because our players execute it all so naturally (think on our double-natty crew). [ ... and we're not seeing it] Time and again, it gets us that rebound, that put back, that layup, that beauty assist. Without any those pre-rehearsed higher % points, we're clawing down a slime-walled well trying to pull ourselves out. And it's by that practice-slack that White's team courts failure (pun-spun intended). The HC has to "buy-into" the belief that his athletes can do new & better things before he makes them practice such. White just seems to ooze "what's-the-use" lack of driving faith.
We need a hellacious missionary whose religion is basketball. Amen.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I like White. As the season has gone on, I give him a ton of credit. He's done the best he can with what he has. The biggest criticism would be his recruiting. He needed a pg this year and didn't sign one. Chiozza isn't a starter. He's a solid backup who is at his best providing a spark off the bench. While the 2014-15 season had awful pg play, I still think it better than what Chiozza provides. He's the worst to me since the early Kruger years. Thankfully, Egor graduates. As far as Hudson goes, he has one more year. If I were White, I'd tell him to go. I wouldn't want to put up with his selfish play any longer.

This post is sarcasm, right? Literally those 3 players have been our best all year (along with Stone) :lol:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I had hope going into the SEC. Tourn. but this doesn;t surprise me at all.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
That Bjork didn't commit to Thad Matta after the interview a week ago makes me think White could very well be high on his list. Ole Miss doesn't want to wait too long to make a decision and risk being in competition with high-profile programs.

White fits what they are looking for. Question is, does White consider Ole Miss more desirable?
Answer: No

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I like White. As the season has gone on, I give him a ton of credit. He's done the best he can with what he has. The biggest criticism would be his recruiting. He needed a pg this year and didn't sign one. Chiozza isn't a starter. He's a solid backup who is at his best providing a spark off the bench. While the 2014-15 season had awful pg play, I still think it better than what Chiozza provides. He's the worst to me since the early Kruger years. Thankfully, Egor graduates. As far as Hudson goes, he has one more year. If I were White, I'd tell him to go. I wouldn't want to put up with his selfish play any longer.
This has to be trollbait. No one could honestly believe what you typed. Our biggest issue next year is the fact that we are losing our all time assist leading PG and team leader, our most consistent scorer, and likely our leading scorer to the NBA.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
What really hurt us in this game is of course the obvious rebound discrepancy. They got way too many 2nd and 3rd chances. I don't think it was poor effort but just a chronic problem for us. And despite what coaches like to tell you, some of it is random event based on how the ball bounces. There a reason for the saying "the ball didn't bounce our way". Then there was the fact that we couldn't build a big lead when we were hot early in the game because unlike the day before, all of a sudden Ark were shooting lights out so we couldn't shake them. Then the flow of the game stagnated as the fouls piled up on us so we ended the first half with a long-ass scoring drought.

The plan the second half was to slow the pace and win it at the FT including hopefully a bunch of "and ones" while getting their bigs in foul trouble. It was a decent plan, but unfortunately the shots didn't drop, and we didn't get any calls (double trouble) for our drivers so no FT and a no-go on fouling out their bigs.

Despite that we hung in their. Different refs could have meant a different outcome.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Our biggest issue next year is the fact that we are losing our all time assist leading PG and team leader, our most consistent scorer, and likely our leading scorer to the NBA.
The NBA?

:snicker2:

I'm not sure what Cheeze will be doing next year, but I'm pretty confident it will involve a paper hat.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I wish I had something insightful to say or some special comment that hasn't been said already but I don't.

I don't know why I actually thought this team, and coach, had turned a corner when they obviously have not. I guess I wanted to believe it so badly that I convinced myself that it was true. It is as if this team and this coach have been together for a week and a half versus three years.

Why did they bother traveling to St. Louis at all since they clearly had no intention of playing any basketball?

I am embarrassed to admit this but I turned the channel with 5-6 minutes left because I have seen this movie so many times I just didn't have the stomach to sit through it again.

The silver lining is that I now have my expectations back in line and can anticipate a "one and done" tournament for the underachievers and their fearful leader.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I wish I had something insightful to say or some special comment that hasn't been said already but I don't.

I don't know why I actually thought this team, and coach, had turned a corner when they obviously have not. I guess I wanted to believe it so badly that I convinced myself that it was true. It is as if this team and this coach have been together for a week and a half versus three years.

Why did they bother traveling to St. Louis at all since they clearly had no intention of playing any basketball?

I am embarrassed to admit this but I turned the channel with 5-6 minutes left because I have seen this movie so many times I just didn't have the stomach to sit through it again.

The silver lining is that I now have my expectations back in line and can anticipate a "one and done" tournament for the underachievers and their fearful leader.

Well last time we were “down and out” we ended up beating Auburn, Bama and UK. We have no clue how this team will respond in the tourney.

Last year we got beat early in the tourney by Vandy and ended up making it to the Elite 8. Don’t give up yet....but that said, I wouldn’t be shocked at all if we lost first round :lol:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Lol this is some funny shcit. 1st team all conference, all defensive team and our all time assist leader. Are you being serious when you call him a back up? And you want Hudson to leave early so Ballard can have those minutes? Mahoe, you're my boy but just stop. And please forgive me if you were kidding.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
The NBA?

:snicker2:

I'm not sure what Cheeze will be doing next year, but I'm pretty confident it will involve a paper hat.
I meant Hudson. Cheese and the Russian gone to graduation, Hudson leaving early as a probable second rounder, although he didn't help his cause yesterday.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The line in the sand continues to be pushed back. “If we don’t do well in the SEC Tourney...”. Then it’s “If we don’t do well in the NCAA Tourney...”. Then it will be “If we don’t do well next year...”.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
This post is sarcasm, right? Literally those 3 players have been our best all year (along with Stone) :lol:

I agree they’ve been our best. They are also soft and selfish. That’s one of the main criticisms about Hudson from nba scouts. I realize most gator fans love Chiozza, but I don’t. I consider him an awful floor leader. How many times does White have to go to the podium after a game and rip these guys for selfish play? He’s done it over and over.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
The line in the sand continues to be pushed back. “If we don’t do well in the SEC Tourney...”. Then it’s “If we don’t do well in the NCAA Tourney...”. Then it will be “If we don’t do well next year...”.
Barack OBama must be advising the AD:eek3:.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Lol this is some funny shcit. 1st team all conference, all defensive team and our all time assist leader. Are you being serious when you call him a back up? And you want Hudson to leave early so Ballard can have those minutes? Mahoe, you're my boy but just stop. And please forgive me if you were kidding.
Unless Ballard makes a big jump he will be passed by Locke and Keyontae next season. We may have a lot of time with 3 freshman on the court at the same time depending on who leaves

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
So what’s the consensus, do we still make the big dance after this loss or not?
Since we weren't on the bubble, unless we are planning on declining so White can get a head-start on his move to Oxford, I'd say we should be okay.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Kentucky will win it all(sec). Sucks

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads