Florida Football: Jim McElwain Press Conference 9/4/2017 - Nuss will continue calling plays

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Agree. Honestly, I don't even like the idea being floated that somehow that may be the fix, when it clearly is not. If a head coach can stand by and watch that debacle--for a third straight year--and have even a hint that it should continue, I have news for you, he's as much the problem if not more. Anything outside of a complete firesale is only delaying the inevitable, on our dime.
Many of us have been saying this for well over a year. No that it seems many more of you are on board, let's hope they start to get the message that Gator Nation is FED UP WITH THIS SH*T and change is needed NOW.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Fellas, he can't fire Nuss now. He needs him as the scapegoat that gets fired at the end of the season to save himself. If he fired Nuss now, it would become obvious very quickly that Nuss ultimately isn't the problem.
I said months ago that Mac would use Nuss in this fashion. Hopefully, Strickland forces his hand in the next 3-4 weeks so we can see that Nuss is only a small part of the issue.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
My wife, a former news producer and anchor, watched Mac's presser with me. She commented that Mac didn't provide any answers and asked if he is always "this close to the vest"?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Mac looks really broken down mentally.

He is shell shocked...defeated. We're f ed. He's done. He is dejected and has no answers. He'll get fired once the lockerroom goes.

Mac is a loser. He's not SEC quality. Dump this loser before he infects everyone with his loser ways.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
My wife, a former news producer and anchor, watched Mac's presser with me. She commented that Mac didn't provide any answers and asked if he is always "this close to the vest"?
He never provides answers. He simply starts talking about off the wall crap that has no bearing on the subject. I'm not sure if he's trying to avoid the questions or if his mind just wanders as soon as he opens his mouth.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
He wanted to put in LDR for the two minute drill?

F this guy. He's a total POS. His Montana schtick needs to get the F outta Gainesville.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Mac said Nuss knows what he is doing because he has seen what he can do...
Here's the difference; Mac has seen what Nuss can do under the purview of Nick Saban. Same can be said for Jim McElwain under Saban and Mucshamp under Brown. These guys are successful when they are led by exceptional college coaches. Once they are out of that sphere of influence, they are not exceptional (far from it) on their own.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Watched the whole thing. It was like a funeral. Depressing and Mac was emotionless. That will filter down. I thought we got some urgency last bowl season but I was wrong. Mac has no answers and I really think the East being so far down gave the staff and a lot of fans a false sense of security. That this was moving in the right direction. Nope. I hope he quits.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Does anybody watch him during the game? He's the most uninvolved head coach I've ever seen. He sits there chewing on his nails and never really does anything. Must be nice to get paid millions to fail miserably at your job and the most you ever do physically is just stand there and do nothing. Pos hc.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
He never provides answers. He simply starts talking about off the wall crap that has no bearing on the subject. I'm not sure if he's trying to avoid the questions or if his mind just wanders as soon as he opens his mouth.

I was glad to see the reporter didn't let Mac slide on answering the play calling question. Mac didn't answer the first time so the reporter circled back about 2 minutes later, said you didn't answer the question and asked him again if he would be taking over the play calling. Unfortunately, Mac's answer was...NO.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Fellas, he can't fire Nuss now. He needs him as the scapegoat that gets fired at the end of the season to save himself. If he fired Nuss now, it would become obvious very quickly that Nuss ultimately isn't the problem.

Which means he's cornered with no way out other than a significant recovery on the field over the next nine weeks, most notably during the teeth of the schedule. I frankly don't care what he does against the Kentuckys of the world. Shows us some improvement against quality defenses.

It won't happen. Law said Nov. 26. He may be right.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Many of us have been saying this for well over a year. No that it seems many more of you are on board, let's hope they start to get the message that Gator Nation is FED UP WITH THIS SH*T and change is needed NOW.

To be clear, I've never advocated his dismissing Nuss as a solution. I'm pretty big on accountability, and if you get a chance to be the head coach at UF, you better pick the right support staff. If not, to me it's no different than recruiting the wrong players or making the wrong call on 4th and 1. It get's you terminated. I won't speak for anyone else, but my quasi support for JM is strictly based on what he inherited, how he fixed certain key elements in 2015, and then hoping for the best in his 3rd year, which he was getting regardless. I have no problem addressing the flaws, and have been one of the biggest critics where it's deserved. But you can do that, while still acknowledging the handful of good things he's done as well. In no way does that mean that he's not on a hotseat with virtually every fan, either this year(ideally) or next. He has a 3rd year, and barring a miracle, his fate is sealed. Being hopeful that we aren't entering 2018 with our 5th head coach in 15 years should never been mistaken as blind support, or an inability to see the cracks in front of us.

But yes, I agree that hopefully there is some serious noise up the ladder that this is unacceptable.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Which means he's cornered with no way out other than a significant recovery on the field over the next nine weeks, most notably during the teeth of the schedule. I frankly don't care what he does against the Kentuckys of the world. Shows us some improvement against quality defenses.

It won't happen. Law said Nov. 26. He may be right.

I know they say time flies, but I can't wait 3 more months. And I probably don;t have much time left as old as I am , but I will trade those 3 months for Butters walking papers today!

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He wanted to put in LDR for the two minute drill?

F this guy. He's a total POS. His Montana schtick needs to get the F outta Gainesville.
I watched the whole thing but this was all I needed to hear.
It's just a matter of time now. He is riding Nuss to his own death.

I'm ready to move on, recruiting class be damned.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I watched the whole thing but this was all I needed to hear.
It's just a matter of time now. He is riding Nuss to his own death.

I'm ready to move on, recruiting class be damned.
I still want Corral!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Here's the difference; Mac has seen what Nuss can do under the purview of Nick Saban. Same can be said for Jim McElwain under Saban and Mucshamp under Brown. These guys are successful when they are led by exceptional college coaches. Once they are out of that sphere of influence, they are not exceptional (far from it) on their own.

And having 5 stars all over the place. Mac was kind of whining there about how he couldn't get a good play action pass game going because they weren't able to run the ball. Its not so easy I guess now like it was at Bama where you just had the O line maul the defense on run plays and play action passes would be wide open. :lol:

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
And having 5 stars all over the place. Mac was kind of whining there about how he couldn't get a good play action pass game going because they weren't able to run the ball. Its not so easy I guess now like it was at Bama where you just had the O line maul the defense on run plays and play action passes would be wide open. :lol:
This is true. Having top talent would certainly be helpful though I'm sure Mac and company would find a way to blow it with 5 stars too!

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure where else to say this but we need to do something about these contracts. The idea that you can just pay any loser tons of money and they automatically become urban meyers is fiscally irresponsible.

We keep asking, "well who is out there"? The truth is there aren't many high quality coaches out there. And those high quality coaches that are out there should command high quality paychecks. Locking an unknown commodity into a multi-million dollar contact artificially raises the worth of all other bad coaches and you end up shelling out tons of money for another mediocre coach.

There should be some sort of quality clause or w/l clause before we start backing up loomis-fargo trucks to these guys houses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator