• Ignoring facilities

Votes: 54 42.2%
  • Hiring Jim McElwain

Votes: 74 57.8%

• Total voters

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
What Kurtz playing particularly after December meant was that Donovan was so irritated and tiring of coaching UF so much that he would play Kurtz rather than make Chris Walker play himself into shape and play Devin Robinson and Chris Walker and let them learn from their mistakes. I am sympathetic to coaches not being able get kids to do what the want and turning to a walkon who can and will, but Kutz 18.5 minutes meant that Robinson and Walker also played less than 20 minutes each and did not develop as they might have.

Billy was done getting with the kids. He is where he belongs now. Maybe the NBA will change him back into a college coach.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Billy was done getting with the kids. He is where he belongs now. Maybe the NBA will change him back into a college coach.

I don't know about this. I do know that Donovan wasted minutes that year that could have led to Walker and Robinson becoming better on Kurtz. That seems to support the conjecture that Donovan was burning out. On the other hand he jump out of the Chris Walker frying pan into the Carmelo Anthony fire, so perhaps you are correct.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
What Kurtz playing particularly after December meant was that Donovan was so irritated and tiring of coaching UF so much that he would play Kurtz rather than make Chris Walker play himself into shape and play Devin Robinson and Chris Walker and let them learn from their mistakes. I am sympathetic to coaches not being able get kids to do what the want and turning to a walkon who can and will, but Kutz 18.5 minutes meant that Robinson and Walker also played less than 20 minutes each and did not develop as they might have.

Interesting point of view. I thought practice was where you learned from your mistakes, not games where it counts. Development should happen in practice and on your own much more than in a game in my view.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
I don't know about this. I do know that Donovan wasted minutes that year that could have led to Walker and Robinson becoming better on Kurtz. That seems to support the conjecture that Donovan was burning out. On the other hand he jump out of the Chris Walker frying pan into the Carmelo Anthony fire, so perhaps you are correct.

I think he wanted to leave the first time he did. He stayed here for his wife and kids. Once the kids got older, his wife was ok with leaving and he left. I think he wanted to get to the NBA for a long time.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Frangie was talking about this on the radio. He said he was told Hudson's game really messed with Allen's in a bad, bad way. Personally, Hudson coming back seriously dims my hopes for b-ball next season.

This narrative is far beyond false. Chiozza's insistence on dribbling in place and Egor taking 100+ 3pters and bad shots messed with Allen in a bad way. Hudson and Allen will compliment each other very well, especially with Nembhard at PG

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
If Hudson hurt Allen's game I think that is probably more on Allen than on Hudson. Allen has not shown the consistent drive to be a consistent force during the game. He is way too passive. There are games when he gets aggressive and does great, but in general he lacks that killer instinct. He needs to grow a set and get mean on the court.

This.

I love KA but.....

If you outperform Hudson in practice, no way a preseason all_SEC starter gets his playing time reduced.

Reeks of entitlement in my opinion.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I can tell you that it was never anything personal between Hudson and Allen. Allen is one of the quietest and nicest guys you’ll ever meet (which is sometimes a detriment on the court). And while he does not have even a hint of arrogance about himself...having Egor and Hudson come into the fray did affect him psychologically. They got hot early and Allen did not and it impacted his confidence more than it should have. I believe next season they will mesh much better and I suspect Allen will return to form.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Walker is in the gatorade league....

http://gleague.nba.com/player/chris-walker/

I don't think Billy could have done anything more with Walker. He couldn't get through so he stopped trying.

Six Nine and 200 lbs??? Might be OK for a guard if he could do that, no where near strong enough for even short forward.

I agree he would not listen perhaps he should have been "cut".

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Six Nine and 200 lbs??? Might be OK for a guard if he could do that, no where near strong enough for even short forward.

I agree he would not listen perhaps he should have been "cut".
Thought that was odd. It seems he has shrunk from his UF days.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
This narrative is far beyond false. Chiozza's insistence on dribbling in place and Egor taking 100+ 3pters and bad shots messed with Allen in a bad way. Hudson and Allen will compliment each other very well, especially with Nembhard at PG
I actually thought it was more Egor than Hudson.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Interesting point of view. I thought practice was where you learned from your mistakes, not games where it counts. Development should happen in practice and on your own much more than in a game in my view.

I would say that practice is where you earn playing time to some extent. But if you could make all your mistakes on the practice court, then Brandone Francis would have not been a terrible shooter in real games and probably would still be at UF. Some players can learn from mistakes in games and get better.

So while I am sympathetic to your point, I also remain of the belief that wasting minutes on a walkon who was never going to be a productive player is wasting minutes that could help a younger player get better.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Practice is for development, not gametime. A younger player needing to get better needs to do so in practice and earn the playing time. If a walk on is better than he is, and gives the team a better chance to win the game, the walk on should be getting the minutes, IMO. Serves as motivation for the younger guy to get better, and doesn't cost the team when minutes matter.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Hudsons return should be a major boost to the team. Frangie's comments don't sound credible and did he identify a source? We need Hudson back to provide leadership from the 2 guard spot. White and his coaches will be responsible for getting Hudson and Allen in sync with the rest of the team. I have to believe that they are ecstatic to have him back. Now if we can get some big men to step up and stay healthy we can do some damage.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I would say that practice is where you earn playing time to some extent. But if you could make all your mistakes on the practice court, then Brandone Francis would have not been a terrible shooter in real games and probably would still be at UF. Some players can learn from mistakes in games and get better.

So while I am sympathetic to your point, I also remain of the belief that wasting minutes on a walkon who was never going to be a productive player is wasting minutes that could help a younger player get better.

I watched a lot of games that year, he was a productive player, he did a lot of good and improved those around him as well.

I have no issue with your belief that is different than mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb