Votes: 74 57.8%

• Total voters

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Would the Gators hire a Bulldog?

https://florida.rivals.com/news/would-the-gators-hire-a-bulldog-

On March 19 it Dusty May was publicly linked to the FAU job. Since that day Gators head coach Mike White has done a great job of keeping the names of coaches he is interested in talking to very quiet, let alone anyone that White has actually interviewed.

Monday afternoon a GatorsTerritory.com source told us via text that “There are a million candidates and everyone [sic] hitting him.”

By Monday night one name did surface – Georgia assistant coach and former Bulldogs forward (2001-2004) – Jonas Hayes.

Hayes was on Mark Fox's staff for six seasons. First as director of operations then five years as an assistant coach. Hayes' main responsibilities at UGA are recruiting and developing post players. Hayes played a big role in the development of All-SEC players Marcus Thornton and Yante Maten. He was Georgia's lead recruiter on five-star guard Ashton Hagans, who committed to Georgia but then reopened his recruitment shortly before Fox was fired.

According to a source in Georgia, there might be something to the Hayes chatter we picked up on but Hayes has other options too. One of those options is staying at Georgia on Tom Crean’s staff. Reportedly Hayes talked to a few schools over the weekend and also in the past couple of weeks. Now, it's a matter of if Hayes receives a job offer, what that offer includes and Hayes deciding if that offer is better for him and his family than what he currently has at Georgia.

Would Hayes, who averaged 8.6 points and 4.9 rebounds during his playing career with the Bulldogs, really leave Georgia to work for its rival? We've been told that if Florida were to make an attractive offer to Hayes “the alma mater thing would not stop him” from accepting.
Shhhh don't let 812 know...

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Mike Miller is between us and Memphis and all signs and reports point towards Memphis (should be announced soon) even though I would do everything I could if I was White.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mike Miller is between us and Memphis and all signs and reports point towards Memphis (should be announced soon) even though I would do everything I could if I was White.
I expect him to go with memphis. I think his family has made that their home.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Anyone know if we are after the Albany 5th year senior Joe Crema, all the big schools are. We could use a shooter and keep the Barry, Egor transfer pipeline going?

Last edited:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Interesting pick up. I do like his Chicago connections. He could open up the door to some good recruits from that area and Chicago has been known to produce some pretty good talent over.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gates specializes in instructing guards ... great, more outside shooting practice & philosophy.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yep still no one with experience coaching up bigs on this staff.

Yep, a program offering "no promise" to big recruits to establish inside presence, hitting 60% FG, blocking out & securing rebounds, altering shots, forcing opposing bigs into foul caution, too few "momentum-building" dunks,etc.
All that major-sector on-court Gator-favoring influence just abandoned without a clue ?? It is tiring on us fans and has to be exhaustively "hopeless" for all our players wishing to develop a style of high success. Coaching neglect ?? Hire a "big-man" advocate before hiring another "scooter-guard" expert.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Wrong. Since Billy was first became HC UF has had 17 players contribute out of 73 signed a. That's 23% thats closer to none than than those that have contributed with greatest HC in UF history and hof in Billy. White isn't even in the same solar system as bd as a coach.
You are dumb even by clown standards.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sporting News has 6 SEC teams in early 2018-19 Top 25 (UF #16):

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...news-early-college-basketball-top-25-2018-19/

Here is a list of the SEC teams on his early radar as well as some of his thoughts on why each program is poised to do big things next season:

My comments in BOLD

#3 Kentucky
Depending on how draft decisions play out, Kentucky could actually have a plethora of “veterans” next season, a legitimately experienced team… The recruiting class is “only” ranked No. 6 right now, but includes a couple of 5-star kids (Keldon Johnson and Immanuel Quickly) and one 4-star recruit (Tyler Herro). What will Cal do if he can't whine about his team's youth? Will he have to actually coach them next year?

#8 Tennessee
The Vols stunned pretty much everybody this season, and they return pretty much everyone next season, including SEC Player of the Year Grant Williams. When you return everyone from team that earned a No. 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament, that’s a top-10 team. Nothing against Rick Barnes but let's be honest, he stockpiled NBA talent at Texas but I don't think he ever got past the sweet sixteen so I will worry about Tennessee when Barnes proves that things will be different in Knoxville. 2018 was true to history with a first weekend departure.

#11 Auburn
The Tigers didn’t have a single senior on their roster this season, but they do have a handful of folks weighing NBA decisions… Still, with Bryce Brown (15.9), Jared Harper (13.2) and Desean Murray (10.1) expected back, the Tigers will be an SEC contender again. I am assuming that the slimy one will be gone by next season but with the way the NCAA has performed recently, they will probably name him coach of the year

#13 LSU
LSU has Scout.com’s No. 4 class nationally, including 5-star forwards Nazreon Reid and Emmitt Williams and 4-star recruits Darius Days and Je’Vonte Smart. If Tremont Waters, who averaged 15.9 points and 6.0 assists as a freshman, comes back? This team could really be special. This is another program that has traditionally under performed but I must say that I am impressed with Will Wade. I was hoping that the "fighting Aleva's" would keep Johnny Jones for ten more years, he was a flat out awful coach.

#16 Florida
The truth is, it’s hard to know exactly how the loss of a do-everything guy like senior point guard Chris Chiozza will impact a team. But he’s gone, as is Egor Koulechov, and Jalen Hudson is testing the draft waters without an agent. I really don't know what to think of our team next year. I do think that Hudson is a key. With him we have a shot to be good but without him I am afraid that we will not have enough legitimate scorers on the roster, especially if Allen is MIA again next year.

#21 Mississippi State
Ben Howland’s team won 25 games this year without an impact senior, and the Bulldogs have the No. 9 recruiting class coming in for next season. If everyone comes back, this will be one of the SEC’s best squads. Howland can coach. I was hoping that he would struggle to get topflight talent but it looks like he is making progress. Now let's see if he signed good people or if they end up like some of the malcontents that Stansbury used to get. Those players are the reason he isn't in Starkville any more

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You are worried about a "way to early 2018-19 poll" before a game has even been played?? LOL Our first National Title team started out being ranked 70th!!. SEVENTY!! Not Top 25, not top 50. 70th! Anything can happen in College Basketball and March Madness. Its a lil too early to be worried about College Basketball in April when the season doesn't start for another 8 MONTHS. Team and rosters haven't even been set yet. Not even close. Conversely, ESPN in their way to early poll has us 14th so we are lookin good now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator