Florida Gators football film room: The inside zone

News

Administrator
Jul 6, 2014
One of the changes we are going to be seeing this fall with the Florida Gators offense under Kurt Roper’s offense is a move from Brent Pease’s two back power/counter schemes to a run scheme based primarily on inside and outside zone run plays with designed quarterback reads and packaged passing concepts.

From a philosophical standpoint, Power O and its complement/constraint play Counter Trey are designed to create favorable angles on the play side and put extra blockers at the point of attack that the defense hasn’t accounted for in their run fit.  The downside is to get these extra...

Read the rest here: Florida Gators football film room: The inside zone

More...

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I remember when Muschamp first arrived, there was talk of simplifying the blocking for our OLine by going away from this zone blocking that they'd been doing under Urban's spread style offense. Funny, now all the sudden zone blocking is the simplified blocking scheme? :headshake:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Love this guy's articles

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n32581 said:
I remember when Muschamp first arrived, there was talk of simplifying the blocking for our OLine by going away from this zone blocking that they'd been doing under Urban's spread style offense. Funny, now all the sudden zone blocking is the simplified blocking scheme? :headshake:

I always thought zone blocking was pretty damn easy myself. :dunno:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n32598 said:
I always thought zone blocking was pretty damn easy myself. :dunno:

This article certainly makes it sound easier. Do you remember the talk of changing from zone blocking to man blocking when Muschamp first got here? Do you remember that talk about supposedly making it easier on the OLinemen? Maybe I'm just getting more senile than I thought but I swear I remember something to that extent. :dunno:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n32617 said:
This article certainly makes it sound easier. Do you remember the talk of changing from zone blocking to man blocking when Muschamp first got here? Do you remember that talk about supposedly making it easier on the OLinemen? Maybe I'm just getting more senile than I thought but I swear I remember something to that extent. :dunno:

I don't remember what I had for dinner two nights ago, much less articles about the offense from 4 years ago. :lol:

But yeah, when you're blocking a zone as opposed to a certain man, it's actually a lot simpler (although it would seem easier the other way around). In a zone scheme, block whoever's in your way. In a man scheme, stunts and blitzes can throw you and the other linemen off.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I remember that when Pease came aboard he kept the playbook but added a bunch of stunts etc to confuse the D so that might be what he was talking about. :dunno:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
NavetG8r;n32617 said:

I don't remember what I had for dinner two nights ago, much less articles about the offense from 4 years ago. :lol:

But yeah, when you're blocking a zone as opposed to a certain man, it's actually a lot simpler (although it would seem easier the other way around). In a zone scheme, block whoever's in your way. In a man scheme, stunts and blitzes can throw you and the other linemen off.
I agree to an extent. But zone blocking for a quick power play (not a slower developing counter or whatever) is easier still. Look across the line and hit that dude and the FB and HB will be there in a split second. No time for guys to stunt or whatever. I think that accounts for why we were serviceable as a run blocking team and putrid in pass protection or slower developing run plays/options.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n32617 said:

You are getting older and you may be more senile than you thought, but you're right. I remember those comments too. It is ironic how we've come full circle on that. I was thinking the same thing while reading the article.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator;n32631 said:
I remember that when Pease came aboard he kept the playbook but added a bunch of stunts etc to confuse the D so that might be what he was talking about. :dunno:

I've been wondering about that too. That was what was said when he first came in, and I remember it being said specifically by Muschamp. However, later, for instance during the spring, I remember Pease using different terminology and the players talking about the offense as if it was not the same. I've wondered about that ever since. Did anyone else pick up on that?

(Nav? Return a favor?!?!) :)

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator said:
NavetG8r;n32617 said:

You are getting older and you may be more senile than you thought, but you're right. I remember those comments too. It is ironic how we've come full circle on that. I was thinking the same thing while reading the article.
Well, at least I'm not going crazy then! :stars:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n32693 said:
I've been wondering about that too. That was what was said when he first came in, and I remember it being said specifically by Muschamp. However, later, for instance during the spring, I remember Pease using different terminology and the players talking about the offense as if it was not the same. I've wondered about that ever since. Did anyone else pick up on that?

Yes, I remember that too. :fistbump:

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r said:
EuroGator;n32693 said:

Yes, I remember that too. :fistbump:
:stars:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.