Florida softball bows out quickly

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Watched nearly every Gator softball game this season.

Not liking the body language I'm seeing from some of these girls. DeWitt looks horrible at the plate.

Might be the end tonight, unless these bats liven up.....

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
As I expected, Walton is changing pitchers after the first time through the OK batting order.

Barnhill can re-enter the game.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Barnhill is a talented pitcher but becomes a mental midget at the first sign of adversity.
She and Alicia cost the Gators a national championship last year against Oklahoma. They have to hold Oklahoma to one or two runs and swing the bats. The Gator girls are outstanding They just don't have the team they did 3 or 4 years ago. The pitching has dropped off.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
I wonder if they'll even pull her scholly after such noticeable regression, she didn't even win Natl' POY this year!

I agree she needs to expand her repertoire, all pitchers should. And, I'm willing to give a little credit to the opposing teams who do a little better against her the more they face her, but I think that's pretty much true for all pitchers. With Kelly's power and velo, good contact (which happens with familiarity)

Last night game was a statistical anomaly for UF. Not sure I've seen a 12 SO game, giving up just 3 hits and that produces 6 runs in a loss, while scoring 5 runs. This season, I think that was the first loss when UF has scored 5 or more runs.

Go Gators.
Anomaly or not, Who cares? Bottom line is they lost the game, primarily because our pitcher lost her composure. Mental toughness in big games is more important than sheer talent. UCLA's pitcher WAS national player of the year, she gave up 3 home runs last night and had only given up 6 all year prior to then. She didn't fall apart, kept smiling and battling and fanned the side in the bottom of the 7th. Our pitcher made an error, then couldn't throw a strike. She hit a batter and walked 2 more before giving up a gopher ball and the game was pretty much over. Bad calls aside, our star players should be more mentally strong than that. I love Kelly Barnhill and I love Gator softball and ALL UF sports. Been watching UF sports since the early 60's and just appreciate gritty toughness in big games, regardless of which sport or which athlete is involved. Last night, their pitcher had it, ours didn't.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
She and Alicia cost to Gators and national championship last year against Oklahoma. They have to hold Oklahoma to one or two runs and swing the bats. The Gator girls are outstanding we just don't have the team we did 3 or 4 years ago. The pitching has dropped off.
As has the hitting.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Chronister is a lefty but she has looked terrible when she has been given a chance to pitch this year. Hopefully she’ll get it together before next season.
Sometimes it takes a year or two. But it's a little concerning she has struggled so much.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
As has the hitting.
So we can't pitch and we can't hit, how did we make it this far.
When Walton is in Texas next year and Kelly takes the year off to prepare for the Olympic you are going to wish we had a picher of her caliber.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Watched nearly every Gator softball game this season.

Not liking the body language I'm seeing from some of these girls. DeWitt looks horrible at the plate.

Might be the end tonight, unless these bats liven up.....
Agree with you observation. I, also, have watched all but 3-4 games this year and it seems they're still thinking about last night. That game shocked them and seems to have taken the wind out of their sails. Plus that OK pitcher is really tough, especially on lefties.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
UF has 7 players signed to come in over the summer, 2 of them are right-handed pitchers. Elizabeth Hightower from Monticello, who pitchede her team to a 2A state championship as a freshman and was named 2017 2A pitcher of the year. Danni Farley, from American Heritage, who was 9A (the big schools) 1st team all-state. There are 3 infielders with big-time stats, plus 2 utility players, also, in the class. We're only losing 4 to graduation (Ocasio, Kvistad, DeWitt & Wheaton) so there's going to be a lot of competition for starting position in the fall. Hopefully, freshman pitcher Natalie Lugo improves to compliment Barnhill and one of the freshman is ready for the big time.
Thanks for the details. I hope Walton stays is coach and develops new players like he has for so many years.

GatorShea

Feb 10, 2016
I hope Florida is willing to pay Walton what it takes to keep him. Can't see him as a former Sooner coaching at Texas.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
So we can't pitch and we can't hit, how did we make it this far.
When Walton is in Texas next year and Kelly takes the year off to prepare for the Olympic you are going to wish we had a picher of her caliber.
Just stating facts buddy. Nobody said we can't pitch or hit. What was said that there's been a dropoff in both from a few years ago. Look up the stats and you'll see that's absolutely true.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
I hope Florida is willing to pay Walton what it takes to keep him. Can't see him as a former Sooner coaching at Texas.
I do think they're going to have to ante up to keep him. But I imagine they will. He's earned it.

GatorShea

Feb 10, 2016
This team can go from knocking the ball all over the place to sleepwalking. This lineup is very inconsistent aside from one or two players.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Call me what you want, but this team should be at the hotel right now.
They'll be on their way back to Gainesville in about 20 minutes. Looking pathetic against Paige Parker. You see, sir, in sports you don't deal with what ifs and should haves. You deal with wins and losses. They had an excellent year, winning the SEC and over 50 games again. But they are not now and have not been all year as good a team as they have been over the last 4-5 years. As good as they are and how much we all love them, their pitching is not as strong and their hitting is not as good as it has been in recent years. That's just the truth. I congratulate them on another fine year and a trip to the WCWS again. Hope their 7 new additions are good enough to add quality in both areas because they lose 4 key players after tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb