Florida softball bows out quickly

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Umpires need to be held accountable when they F up. When players do they lose games and their seasons and careers are over. Umpires get to slink off without having to explain their incompetence and cash their checks and come back year after year and continue to be incompetent.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Ump was in NO position to see that tag and make that call. Wheaton's body kept the ump from seeing the obvious tag. He was in the wrong position for that call. Terrible.

With all of these games in oKC broadcast on ESPN, there is no excuse not to have replay on plays at the plate.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Ump was in NO position to see that tag and make that call. Wheaton's body kept the ump from seeing the obvious tag. He was in the wrong position for that call. Terrible.

With all of these games in oKC broadcast on ESPN, there is no excuse not to have replay on plays at the plate.
As I said in the chatbox last night the umpire put his self in position to make the obstruction call which is the wrong place to see the tag. That rule as well as the umpire screwed us over.

Last edited:

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Umpires need to be held accountable when they F up. When players do they lose games and their seasons and careers are over. Umpires get to slink off without having to explain their incompetence and cash their checks and come back year after year and continue to be incompetent.
They have replay in football, basketball, and baseball; why not softball? Especially when it's being played on such a large stage and especially when you have f*cking morons behind the plate. They hide them from the fans and media without ever a worry about any retribution whatsoever, and as far the arena they're in their mistakes are huge. It's a bang-bang play, moron is out of position, so review the F'ing play!

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015

Absolutely correct! Funny thing, he kept working around trying to get in position for something

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
She’s got to get mentally tougher. She’s also been here 3 years why the hell hasn’t she learned to throw an off speed pitch yet. You can’t throw the same speed to good hitters eventually they are going to time you up. The umpiring tonight was a total screw job just like 2011 against Arizona State calling pitches a foot outside strikes.

Yeah, you’re right. There were plenty of bad calls on balls and strikes, too. It’s frustrating.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

You’re right he went halfway up the line towards 3rd base, why I don’t know there was an umpire there already to see the catch and then by the time he got his incompetent ass back near home plate where he belonged he wasn’t facing the right way to see the tag

UForFU

Nov 17, 2017
Still livid about that call but also concerned that KB again gave up an inopportune bomb. All season it has been strange how she can go from K after K after K to serving up a huge hit on a silver platter. We were still up 4-2 after the blown call and could have kept them off. I don’t know. At this point, and given what was admittedly a lucky series against TAMU, I’m not convinced this is a title-winning team but let’s see how we respond tonight.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Still livid about that call but also concerned that KB again gave up an inopportune bomb. All season it has been strange how she can go from K after K after K to serving up a huge hit on a silver platter. We were still up 4-2 after the blown call and could have kept them off. I don’t know. At this point, and given what was admittedly a lucky series against TAMU, I’m not convinced this is a title-winning team but let’s see how we respond tonight.
Its not. They don't have the pitching. KB has given up 19 home runs this year and AO has given up 14. Stacey Nelson only gave up 1 home run her senior season in 2009.

Florida State let UCLA off the hook with a terrible pitching change and the Gators let UCLA off the hook. UCLA is getting all the breaks. The Gator teams the last few years would have won that game last night no matter what bad call they got.

Good luck against Oklahoma. They're going to need it with the Sooners going for a three-peat. They need to hit tonight because Oklahoma has a pitching advantage.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
You’re right he went halfway up the line towards 3rd base, why I don’t know there was an umpire there already to see the catch and then by the time he got his incompetent ass back near home plate where he belonged he wasn’t facing the right way to see the tag

His sorry azz should have been inside the field of play, back to the pitcher’s mound, a few feet from home plate...or on the first base line, back to the dugout looking right at home plate. TOTAL fcvk job!

Last edited:

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Kelly is a great pitcher and may go down as one of the greatest NCAA softball pitcher ever. However, she gets rattled and can't get her composure back after something bad happens. Stacey Nelson, Hannah Rogers & Laura Haeger were tenacious on the mound and never lost their cool. Feel bad for the way the game went last night, but we miss Delaney Gourley badly and are just too passive at the plate. Kvistad showed what she can do when she gets aggressive, but most of the time they're all up there taking pitches trying to work the count. And against the great pitchers it's not going to work. I fear Oklahoma is going to beat us soundly.

Last edited:

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Kelly is a great pitcher and may go down as one of the greatest NCAA softball pitcher ever. However, she gets rattled and can't get her composure back after something bad happens. Hannah Rogers & Laura Haeger were tenacious on the mound and never lost their cool. Feel bad for the way the game went last night, but we miss Delaney Gourley badly and are just too passive at the plate. Kvistad showed what she can do when she gets aggressive, but most of the time they're all up there taking pitches trying to work the count. And against the great pitchers it's not going to work. I fear Oklahoma is going to beat us soundly.
Agreed.

And they need another tough Lefty pitcher like Delaney to compliment Barnhill next year.

Good luck against OU. but it's going to be tough looking at those several 8th year Sooners seniors. ;)

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed.

And they need another tough Lefty pitcher like Delaney to compliment Barnhill next year.

Good luck against OU. but it's going to be tough looking at those several 8th year Sooners seniors. ;)
Chronister is a lefty but she has looked terrible when she has been given a chance to pitch this year. Hopefully she’ll get it together before next season.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Agreed.

UF has 7 players signed to come in over the summer, 2 of them are right-handed pitchers. Elizabeth Hightower from Monticello, who pitchede her team to a 2A state championship as a freshman and was named 2017 2A pitcher of the year. Danni Farley, from American Heritage, who was 9A (the big schools) 1st team all-state. There are 3 infielders with big-time stats, plus 2 utility players, also, in the class. We're only losing 4 to graduation (Ocasio, Kvistad, DeWitt & Wheaton) so there's going to be a lot of competition for starting position in the fall. Hopefully, freshman pitcher Natalie Lugo improves to compliment Barnhill and one of the freshman is ready for the big time.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Barnhill isn't a perfect pitcher, but the consensus in the softball world is that she is among the best in the world. She will likely make the US Olympic team.

I'm glad she's a Gator

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Barnhill isn't a perfect pitcher, but the consensus in the softball world is that she is among the best in the world. She will likely make the US Olympic team.

I'm glad she's a Gator
She regressed this year, as evidenced by the 21 home runs she's given up as of tonight's 1st inning against Oklahoma where she gave up another. She dominates lesser players and lesser teams. But this year, once a team has gone through their batting order once, the good ones adjust and she doesn't or can't. She throws 3 levels of rise ball and once a good hitter gets used to the rise, she's more & more susceptible to giving up home runs. If she doesn't learn to master an offspeed pitch, I don't think she'll be an Olympian. I like the kid and am super glad she's a Gator. But Oklahoma exposed her in the World Series this year, UCLA did it last night and Oklahoma is doing it again tonight. Watch Paige Parker. She loses a few games here and there, but she's a gamer, a true pitcher and very clutch.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
I wonder if they'll even pull her scholly after such noticeable regression, she didn't even win Natl' POY this year!

I agree she needs to expand her repertoire, all pitchers should. And, I'm willing to give a little credit to the opposing teams who do a little better against her the more they face her, but I think that's pretty much true for all pitchers. With Kelly's power and velo, good contact (which happens with familiarity)

Last night game was a statistical anomaly for UF. Not sure I've seen a 12 SO game, giving up just 3 hits and that produces 6 runs in a loss, while scoring 5 runs. This season, I think that was the first loss when UF has scored 5 or more runs.

Go Gators.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator