Florida's scholarship situation

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Reviewing Florida's scholarship situation
GatorBait.net breaks down Florida's current scholarship numbers following Camrin Knight's transfer.

http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Reviewing-Floridas-scholarship-situation-53257394

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- With the news of Camrin Knight's transfer and Malik Zaire officially announcing his transfer to Florida on Tuesday, GatorBait.net stops to review Florida's current scholarship situation.

At last check, Florida had 83 players on scholarship, including former walk-ons who had been awarded scholarship. The Gators have a 12-man senior class, leaving 14 total scholarships currently open for the 2018 recruiting class. However, that number will increase with further attrition via transfers, NFL Draft early entrees and potential medical hardships.

The Gators are relatively set numbers-wise on defense for the 2018 cycle, but there are several spots on offense still need additions. Florida only has 13 scholarship offensive linemen slated to be on the roster for the 2018 season, well shy of target numbers.

Florida could also stand to add a few more receivers, tight ends and defensive ends in the class.

Below is a breakdown of the scholarship numbers by class and position so you can see where Florida has needs. Click on the thumbnail to expand it.

5348227.png

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Those goal numbers are silly. Ridiculously high numbers at positions that don't require much development and for which freshmen can easily play (ie WR and CB), low numbers at the position which take the most development and are the most injury prone, DT and OL.

I hope he is pulling those numbers out of his azz and not getting them from the team. Those look like the numbers a dunce like Dawgchump would use.

We also have way too many guys who provide nothing and should be Sabaned, like Andrew Mike, Trask and several others.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Give me:
An Elite QB
Two 4/5* RB's
Three 4/5* WR's
Two 4/5* TE's
Four 4/5* offensive lineman
Four 4/5* defensive tackles
Three 4/5* LB's
Two 4/5* CB's
Two 4/5* Safeties

And we good ;)

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Reviewing Florida's scholarship situation
GatorBait.net breaks down Florida's current scholarship numbers following Camrin Knight's transfer.

http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Reviewing-Floridas-scholarship-situation-53257394

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- With the news of Camrin Knight's transfer and Malik Zaire officially announcing his transfer to Florida on Tuesday, GatorBait.net stops to review Florida's current scholarship situation.

At last check, Florida had 83 players on scholarship, including former walk-ons who had been awarded scholarship. The Gators have a 12-man senior class, leaving 14 total scholarships currently open for the 2018 recruiting class. However, that number will increase with further attrition via transfers, NFL Draft early entrees and potential medical hardships.

The Gators are relatively set numbers-wise on defense for the 2018 cycle, but there are several spots on offense still need additions. Florida only has 13 scholarship offensive linemen slated to be on the roster for the 2018 season, well shy of target numbers.

Florida could also stand to add a few more receivers, tight ends and defensive ends in the class.

Below is a breakdown of the scholarship numbers by class and position so you can see where Florida has needs. Click on the thumbnail to expand it.

5348227.png
I can never remember where to find that chart when I want it.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
So we've got 83 on scholarship. That's down 2. Plus 12 graduating. That leaves 14 spots.
I don't see a lot of names that are gonna declare early. Maybe 3?
And what 5? due to attrition/transfers. Does that sound right?
Only leaves 22 spots. They say 20 spots. How the hell does 'bama get away with 25 every year?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So we've got 83 on scholarship. That's down 2. Plus 12 graduating. That leaves 14 spots.
I don't see a lot of names that are gonna declare early. Maybe 3?
And what 5? due to attrition/transfers. Does that sound right?
Only leaves 22 spots. They say 20 spots. How the hell does 'bama get away with 25 every year?

Some of those 83 are walk-ons, who essentially don't count. I think we sign no less than 22.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Possible transfer candidates could include:
Chris Williamson
Rayshad Jackson
Nick Buchanan
Richard Desir-Jones
Kalif Jackson
Luke Ancrum
McArthur Burnett

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Williamson transferring to Minnesota to play for PJ Fleck:

Former Florida CB Chris Williamson announces Big Ten transfer destination

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...amson-announces-big-ten-transfer-destination/

Less than two weeks after announcing his plans to transfer, former Florida CB Chris Williamson has announced his transfer destination.

Williamson tweeted that he will be heading to the Big Ten, and joining the Minnesota Gophers.

A part of Jim McElwain’s first recruiting class at Florida, the Gainesville, Ga. product was rated the No. 42 cornerback and No. 36 Georgia recruit by the 247Sports Composite rankings for 2015. In two seasons at Florida, Williamson saw limited action, making five tackles in 14 games. He started the 2016 opener agains UMass.

Williamson’s loss is unlikely to create any depth problems for Florida as six freshman defensive backs enrolled this summer.

DF8usACXkAAj6Rq.jpg

DF8usAlWsAA9T-X.jpg

DF8usAiXYAQ7Dst.jpg

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good luck to him. He's probably right in that skill level to fit in well there.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Possible transfer candidates could include:
Chris Williamson
Rayshad Jackson
Nick Buchanan
Richard Desir-Jones
Kalif Jackson
Luke Ancrum
McArthur Burnett
We aren't going to keep 7 QBs. Two or three will be encouraged to go to Houston Baptist.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We aren't going to keep 7 QBs. Two or three will be encouraged to go to Houston Baptist.

We might have 7 scholarship QBs going into spring if Zaire gets a medical waiver for that redshirt season. If he got it and was the starter at the end of 2017 Franks would transfer I would think however.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Some might transfer but I really don't like to encourage them to do so. We need folks to play on special teams and many times these people are just what they need. When you are a Gator it means something special at least to me, not like some Bama recruit.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Some might transfer but I really don't like to encourage them to do so. We need folks to play on special teams and many times these people are just what they need. When you are a Gator it means something special at least to me, not like some Bama recruit.

I don't think any of them are "encouraged" to transfer. They're more than likely told, flat out - "Son, you've been passed up by three true freshman. You very likely won't see the field if you don't turn things around. You can still get a great education here, but I wouldn't expect to move ahead of those three studs you're sitting behind now..." Often times these kids get put on the scout team and practice becomes less enjoyable.....They see the writing on the wall. This may or may not be "encouraged", but I don't think they're lied to one bit (that happens in the recruiting process).

Once they come to the realization they aren't going to play the staff and school does all they can to ensure they are able to transfer (make sure they complete all of their current classes, have their transcript ready to send to potential schools, etc). Look at Chris Williamson. He just announced he's transferring to Minnesota and he only announced his transfer 2 weeks ago.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I don't think any of them are "encouraged" to transfer. They're more than likely told, flat out - "Son, you've been passed up by three true freshman. You very likely won't see the field if you don't turn things around. You can still get a great education here, but I wouldn't expect to move ahead of those three studs you're sitting behind now..." Often times these kids get put on the scout team and practice becomes less enjoyable.....They see the writing on the wall. This may or may not be "encouraged", but I don't think they're lied to one bit (that happens in the recruiting process).

Once they come to the realization they aren't going to play the staff and school does all they can to ensure they are able to transfer (make sure they complete all of their current classes, have their transcript ready to send to potential schools, etc). Look at Chris Williamson. He just announced he's transferring to Minnesota and he only announced his transfer 2 weeks ago.

I understood this to be the process and I have no problem with it. It is thought that Saban does more than this, makes up injuries, and other unethical things that I don't want a Gator to be subject to.

Thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.