Foley Gets New Gig to Help "Clean Up" College Basketball

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Working with Chair-person Condoleezza Rice, Mark Emmert, Grant Hill and a bunch of other somewhat random collection of folks on the Newly Formed NCAA Commission on College Basketball.

Amid the FBI’s sweeping investigation into widespread corruption in college basketball, NCAA president Mark Emmert announced the formation of a group to examine “a system that clearly is not working.” The formation of the NCAA’s Commission on College Basketball, which will be chaired by Dr. Condoleezza Rice, was announced Wednesday.

The only thing about this I care about at all is it makes it that much more likely we are not going to be implicated in any way to the scandal that is expected to have a lot more programs and coaches named before it's all over.

https://www.ncaa.org/governance/ncaa-commission-college-basketball

https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...212/ncaa-commission-on-college-basketball-fbi

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Good for Foley.

But the bigger question is: Is this a full time job and will all his attention be going to this?

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
That's the second UF grad hired to cleanup a NCAA problem. One of my classmates, class of 98 is at Baylor trying to cleanup their mess. I wouldn't want that job.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

Dont they realize what a lowlife POS he is..........somebody better forward them about 94 threads in here to
clear this up.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Dont they realize what a lowlife POS he is..........somebody better forward them about 94 threads in here to
clear this up.

Because anonymous rants by a visceral few clearly offset all the jammed the trophy cases, healthy financial statements, burgeoning facilities, academic all-Americans, etc.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Because anonymous rants by a visceral few clearly offset all the jammed the trophy cases, healthy financial statements, burgeoning facilities, academic all-Americans, etc.

images
hit_nail_on_head.jpg

Like my orange and blue bubble????/

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This is the perfect gig for him. He's really good at finding bad coaches

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

clear this up.

Straw man fallacy, Coach.

Who called him a lowlife POS?

Plenty of criticism of the Zook, Chimp, and Mac hires. Plenty of criticism regarding losing the facilities arms race badly. These are valid criticisms.

But lowlife? POS? Nah. That’s Petrino, Calipari, most Cane fans (not Daytona tho, she’s awesome), Darnell Dockett, Jamies Winston, Baylor, and Harvey Weinstein.

He’s run a consistently squeaky clean program. This gig suits him. That does not in any way invalidate the criticisms regarding football coaches and facilities.

Alex.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Straw man fallacy, Coach.

Who called him a lowlife POS?

Plenty of criticism of the Zook, Chimp, and Mac hires. Plenty of criticism regarding losing the facilities arms race badly. These are valid criticisms.

But lowlife? POS? Nah. That’s Petrino, Calipari, most Cane fans (not Daytona tho, she’s awesome), Darnell Dockett, Jamies Winston, Baylor, and Harvey Weinstein.

He’s run a consistently squeaky clean program. This gig suits him. That does not in any way invalidate the criticisms regarding football coaches and facilities.

Alex.

Great points Alex. The Foley lover's just can't stand that his legacy is tarnished by 56-15 blowouts, 4-8 seasons, and poor football decisions. But, but, but.....we won gymnastics!! It's the same folks who go down w/ the ship defending Muschamp, Zook, and now McElwain. The same folks who put the AD and head football coach above The Program and above The University of Florida....ever realizing UF Football and UF itself will be here long after these failed coaches have moved on. Thanks for straightening out a crooked pumper's fallacy and failed attempt to pump the man who made three piss poor football hires.....

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Great points Alex. The Foley lover's just can't stand that his legacy is tarnished by 56-15 blowouts, 4-8 seasons, and poor football decisions. But, but, but.....we won gymnastics!! It's the same folks who go down w/ the ship defending Muschamp, Zook, and now McElwain. The same folks who put the AD and head football coach above The Program and above The University of Florida....ever realizing UF Football and UF itself will be here long after these failed coaches have moved on. Thanks for straightening out a crooked pumper's fallacy and failed attempt to pump the man who made three piss poor football hires.....

We won three football national championships and two basketball national championships under his watch as well. How many universities did either of those during his career? A small handful. No other did both.

UF football will be here long after Foley retired thanks in large part to his excellent leadership. Of course mistakes were made. But on balance, he has few if any peers in his profession.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We won three football national championships and two basketball national championships under his watch as well. How many universities did either of those during his career? A small handful. No other did both.

UF football will be here long after Foley retired thanks in large part to his excellent leadership. Of course mistakes were made. But on balance, he has few if any peers in his profession.

:butthurt:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Respectfully Theo, he inherited Spurrier. He hired Zook. Meyer had a relationship with Bernie Machen from Utah and that was a major driver in that hire. He hired Chimp. He hired Mac. The three NCs were from the coach he didn't hire and the coach his president hired.

In basketball, Lon Kruger took us to our first Final 4 in 1994 (I think) but again, Foley inherited him, just like he inherited Spurrier. Foley gets full credit for hiring Billy Donovan and Mike White.

I don't hate Foley.

He is not above criticism though. Fair, valid criticism is warranted. The Spurrier retirement caught him flat-footed. He was surprised and unprepared. When Bob Stoops didn't jump at the chance to leave Oklahoma (where he had just recently won a NC), Foley had no plan. Zook had no HC experience. Zook was a terrible hire.

Then there was the whole esophageal spasms mess when Addazio was basically acting HC. That was a mess with Meyer quitting, then coming back for a zombie year, then quitting again.

Chimp, like Zook (and unlike Spurrier or Meyer) had no head coaching experience. No record of taking a bad program and making it into a winner (like Spurrier did with Duke and like Meyer did with Bowling Green and Utah).

USCe's Muschamp is a better HC now than the version we got. He has learned from some of his mistakes at UF. We are the ones still paying for those mistakes. UF is not a place for on-the-job HC training.

Foley kept Muschamp too long. I don't care how badly injured we are. Our scout team should be able to beat Georgia Southern. 4-8 is unacceptable.

The Mac hire looked better on paper. At least he was a HC at Colorado State and had some success with that team. But for the issues with Grier, (and Chimp's recruiting issues) the script may have gone differently. Maybe. But, it looks like another miss.

The facilities...well, Pell built them up and Spurrier inherited a good situation. When Foley became AD, our facilities were pretty good. That was 25 years ago. Meyer was the driving force behind the new "front door" to the stadium and his wins and great recruiting kept the pipeline of great players coming in DESPITE the facilities. That's when Foley needed to spend. We were winning. Fans were happy. Facilities were outdated. Instead, he decided facilities didn't matter. Recruits were shocked and dismayed to see how bad our stuff was compared to our competition.

Google image Alabama's facilities. Clemson built an athlete's village with sand volleyball, mini golf, and laser tag. Their recruiting has been phenomenal. UCF...yes, THAT school in Orlando that isn't even in a power 5 conference...is copying Clemson AND putting in a lazy river.

And their HC took a team that went winless two years ago and is now undefeated with the top offense in the country. And he inherited a pro-style system and put in a completely different Oregon style system.

I don't hate Foley. He isn't a lowlife or a POS. However, he has made mistakes and he is not above criticism for those mistakes.

Alex.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Respectfully Theo, he inherited Spurrier. He hired Zook. Meyer had a relationship with Bernie Machen from Utah and that was a major driver in that hire. He hired Chimp. He hired Mac. The three NCs were from the coach he didn't hire and the coach his president hired.

In basketball, Lon Kruger took us to our first Final 4 in 1994 (I think) but again, Foley inherited him, just like he inherited Spurrier. Foley gets full credit for hiring Billy Donovan and Mike White.

I don't hate Foley.

He is not above criticism though. Fair, valid criticism is warranted. The Spurrier retirement caught him flat-footed. He was surprised and unprepared. When Bob Stoops didn't jump at the chance to leave Oklahoma (where he had just recently won a NC), Foley had no plan. Zook had no HC experience. Zook was a terrible hire.

Then there was the whole esophageal spasms mess when Addazio was basically acting HC. That was a mess with Meyer quitting, then coming back for a zombie year, then quitting again.

Chimp, like Zook (and unlike Spurrier or Meyer) had no head coaching experience. No record of taking a bad program and making it into a winner (like Spurrier did with Duke and like Meyer did with Bowling Green and Utah).

USCe's Muschamp is a better HC now than the version we got. He has learned from some of his mistakes at UF. We are the ones still paying for those mistakes. UF is not a place for on-the-job HC training.

Foley kept Muschamp too long. I don't care how badly injured we are. Our scout team should be able to beat Georgia Southern. 4-8 is unacceptable.

The Mac hire looked better on paper. At least he was a HC at Colorado State and had some success with that team. But for the issues with Grier, (and Chimp's recruiting issues) the script may have gone differently. Maybe. But, it looks like another miss.

The facilities...well, Pell built them up and Spurrier inherited a good situation. When Foley became AD, our facilities were pretty good. That was 25 years ago. Meyer was the driving force behind the new "front door" to the stadium and his wins and great recruiting kept the pipeline of great players coming in DESPITE the facilities. That's when Foley needed to spend. We were winning. Fans were happy. Facilities were outdated. Instead, he decided facilities didn't matter. Recruits were shocked and dismayed to see how bad our stuff was compared to our competition.

Google image Alabama's facilities. Clemson built an athlete's village with sand volleyball, mini golf, and laser tag. Their recruiting has been phenomenal. UCF...yes, THAT school in Orlando that isn't even in a power 5 conference...is copying Clemson AND putting in a lazy river.

And their HC took a team that went winless two years ago and is now undefeated with the top offense in the country. And he inherited a pro-style system and put in a completely different Oregon style system.

I don't hate Foley. He isn't a lowlife or a POS. However, he has made mistakes and he is not above criticism for those mistakes.

Alex.

I didn’t say he was above criticism. I don’t agree that he gets no credit for hiring Meyer. Foley connected him to Donovan, for example. Certainly Machen’s relationship was also key. Yes he inherited Kruger but I didn’t mention final fours.

I agree his failure to back SOS at the end of 2002 contributed to the resignation, but so did fan/booster criticism after a #3 finish. He spoiled us 1993-96.

I suspect reach for Muschamp looked to him like Oklahoma’s reach for Stoops. The Zook debacle was at best hiring a long term interim - but it did set the table for Meyer to come. And we’d love to see the Fedora offense today. Talk about ironic.

But I’m quibbling. You’re points are fair as are others’. If we apply those same standards to any other AD in the country, very few if any compare.

And this argument will be recycled in future threads....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb