Foley understands the fans..... ESPN

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Foley just needs to admit he screwed up!

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Welcome to the real world, folks, where you attract coaches with contracts fat with incentives and have those work against you when the relationship doesn't work out well. CFB is a big-money business and if you can't pony up and be generous, you're not going to stay up with the Bidding Wars currently being waged by D1 football programs.

Our Athletic Association is going to be $90 million in debt once the cash is spent on the indoor facility. Let that sink in. Foley's not the problem - while he's partially responsible for our troubles in football of late, he's still one of the top 5 AD's in the country. The problem is the power and leverage celebrity-level coaches now wield. Even after you fire them, the cost you. The cost to keep up with indoor training facilities, plush locker rooms, dorms and such - CFB is becoming a bloated and commercialized empire for the elite programs and coaches to rule.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ppinesgator;n174657 said:
Welcome to the real world, folks, where you attract coaches with contracts fat with incentives and have those work against you when the relationship doesn't work out well. CFB is a big-money business and if you can't pony up and be generous, you're not going to stay up with the Bidding Wars currently being waged by D1 football programs.

Our Athletic Association is going to be $90 million in debt once the cash is spent on the indoor facility. Let that sink in. Foley's not the problem - while he's partially responsible for our troubles in football of late, he's still one of the top 5 AD's in the country. The problem is the power and leverage celebrity-level coaches now wield. Even after you fire them, the cost you. The cost to keep up with indoor training facilities, plush locker rooms, dorms and such - CFB is becoming a bloated and commercialized empire for the elite programs and coaches to rule.

I think soon you will see the pendulum begin to swing back. It HAS to. There is nothing different about college football from an economic standpoint then any other industry. They all have to operate based on fiscal responsibility. As we are seeing with these massive debts being raised by schools like Tennessee, Texas A&M and Florida, this model just can't continue.

This from the article....

"Foley is still working on details of new coach Jim McElwain's six-year contract, but he declined to say whether mitigation would be part of the deal".

Why the f**k not?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Being an AD at an SEC school is NOT all about football, however football PAYS the freight at every SEC school (sans UK). With that said and regarding football ONLY ( I repeat, football ONLY), my screen name sums up how I feel about the thread!

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n174663 said:
I think soon you will see the pendulum begin to swing back. It HAS to. There is nothing different about college football from an economic standpoint then any other industry. They all have to operate based on fiscal responsibility. As we are seeing with these massive debts being raised by schools like Tennessee, Texas A&M and Florida, this model just can't continue.

"Foley is still working on details of new coach Jim McElwain's six-year contract, but he declined to say whether mitigation would be part of the deal".

Why the f**k not?

Because Mac and his lawyer have leverage that comes with being a highly-sought coach, and that's my point. As in all negotiations, you win some and lose some.

The AD and staff of one of the most powerful schools in the country dropped everything to fly to this guy's home for a couple days to win this guy over. And that's typical behavior these days.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not one of the posters calling for Foley to be booted but he screwed up and doesn't seem to be able to just "own" it.

There is an "arms race" going on in Power 5 football and you either join in or end up being Vandi....

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n174663 said:

Why the f**k not?

It is just a matter of time before a number of small D1 schools fold their more expensive sports teams (like football) due to finances similar to UAB.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n174663 said:

Why the f**k not?

I agree on the pendulum swinging back in the other direction... I would surmise in 10 years college football will have a problem on its hands with attendance and fan support... When they start paying players (which is coming) and the ever increasing $$ of tickets, people will become TV only fans. After that, they whole dynamic will change long term....

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
ppinesgator;n174657 said:

The UAA will have $90M of debt on an annual operating budget of $122M. A fiscally solvent organization that is holding debt is not the same thing as spending your way in to a $90M hole, although I do agree with your larger point about CFB becoming a bloated commercialized empire.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
An interesting point on finances of college sports, how much money are teams and the NCAA losing to the fact that there are no more annual EA Sports games, they had games for football, basketball, baseball, etc... that was money coming in annually to all the schools, conferences, and NCAA as a whole.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ppinesgator;n174689 said:
Because Mac and his lawyer have leverage that comes with being a highly-sought coach, and that's my point. As in all negotiations, you win some and lose some.

The AD and staff of one of the most powerful schools in the country dropped everything to fly to this guy's home for a couple days to win this guy over. And that's typical behavior these days.

My point was that eventually that leverage will be equaled out because of stark economic realities. After taking a $6.3 million dollar bath topped off with the recruit stealing cherry that is Muschamp, I think it's about time to start swinging that pendulum. There is no other industry that operates this way and this model can't continue.

Dec 10, 2014
GMDGATOR;n174705 said:
I agree on the pendulum swinging back in the other direction... I would surmise in 10 years college football will have a problem on its hands with attendance and fan support... When they start paying players (which is coming) and the ever increasing $$ of tickets, people will become TV only fans. After that, they whole dynamic will change long term....

That's not how the system is set up anymore. UF is getting the bulk of its revenue through the TV contracts. That's the golden goose. Butts in the seats are nice because it gets primetime exposure. Primetime exposure enlarges the fan base.

Dec 10, 2014
ppinesgator;n174689 said:

People have no concept that SEC schools aren't attempting to hire coaches that they can kick around. It's the oddity of a message board. They want our AD to have this magical leverage over highly sought after coaches. Our AD could have leverage if they hired somebody like a Derek Dooley. If such a quality of hire was made, everybody on this board would be pissing and moaning about the strength of said hire.

Jeremy Foley is probably regarded at the best AD in the country. He made a major mistake with renewing Muschamp's contract. There is no question about it. Since then, it appears he has done everything and more to right the ship, and you have people bitching and moaning.

:deadhorse:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
deuce;n174701 said:
I'm not one of the posters calling for Foley to be booted but he screwed up and doesn't seem to be able to just "own" it.

There is an "arms race" going on in Power 5 football and you either join in or end up being Vandi....
So you want him to tell you he is sorry that after almost total domination of the BIG two sports we crashed and burned awhile. Grow up. The sun dont shine on one dog's behind all the time. You know how many schools would give their gonads to win basically back to back in the big two with the caveat they play at a lower level a few years........im guessing allmost all of them 99%

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n174739 said:
That's not how the system is set up anymore. UF is getting the bulk of its revenue through the TV contracts. That's the golden goose. Butts in the seats are nice because it gets primetime exposure. Primetime exposure enlarges the fan base.

It was my understanding that we got round $57 million from ticket sales, contributions, concessions etc. and around $17 million form distributions from the SEC for TV and bowls. Even with the SEC network coming online the bulk will remain in ticket sales and contributions....at least for now.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n174739 said:

I agree, but that is not a long term model for success... when the fans are not involved on a personal level, they long term sustainability will change... it will take time, but it will happen. hence the pendulum swinging comment, otherwise they will be killing the golden goose....

Dec 10, 2014
divits;n174777 said:
It was my understanding that we got round $57 million from ticket sales, contributions, concessions etc. and around $17 million form distributions from the SEC for TV and bowls. Even with the SEC network coming online the bulk will remain in ticket sales and contributions....at least for now.

In terms of the $57, I'd say the key element is "contributions."

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator