Foley's Legacy

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Foley did some outstanding things. No doubt. He fell asleep at the wheel though and let football slide into oblivion. He pulled a Bowden and stayed on way too long. The fact that he's still around says it all. Yes, he did well with athletic program as a whole. But at the cost of letting the football program fall into disrepair.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
th

:grin:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks Foley.....

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Foley did wonders for NR sports while burning down the football program. He's not the best AD ever. He's still meddling now. Great ADs don't kill their cash cow and then linger as it turns to ashes.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Foley did some outstanding things. No doubt. He fell asleep at the wheel though and let football slide into oblivion. He pulled a Bowden and stayed on way too long. The fact that he's still around says it all. Yes, he did well with athletic program as a whole. But at the cost of letting the football program fall into disrepair.

I thought he mishandled SOS in 2000-2001 and in part precipitated his departure. But recruiting had started to slide pretty badly - the #1 2000 class was a joke, we couldn't find a decent linebacker other than Crowder, etc. One SEC Title in his last 5 years after 5 in his first 7. He didn't want to hang on too long.

Zook was a reach & a panic move from the start.

As bad as Muschamp was in hindsight, I lay the "disrepair" at his and Meyer's feet, he was a hot commodity and looked to be a Stoops redux.

Machen was of course important but Foley had the lead in hiring Meyer. He gets credit for 2 football NCs.

Foley created a championship culture. What other AD in the country racked up championships like him? It's ridiculous.

Football did fall into disrepair, but also has 2 NC's (how many did that during Foley's tenure?) Bama, USC, Notre Dame and Oklahoma all went through periods - some extended - of "disrepair".

When I've asked "Who else?" should/could we have realistically hired after Meyer or Muschamp....crickets. I'd love to hear the alternatives.

So we'll see if Mac is able to repair it. I don't yet see the next obvious Meyer/Spurrier to hire.

Meyer will go up on the ring of honor and I suspect Foley might as well. Something significant will be done to honor him - and should.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
There's a Let's Suck Foley's Nuts thread over on Gatorcountry right now if any of you want to further join in on the love fest....

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Yes, everything supports that Foley was one of the best athletic directors ever. But some don't like to let facts get in the way. To be good, he needed to do everything perfectly.

Perfection is considered the enemy of good. Some also don't understand this either. Great points!!!

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I thought he mishandled SOS in 2000-2001 and in part precipitated his departure. But recruiting had started to slide pretty badly - the #1 2000 class was a joke, we couldn't find a decent linebacker other than Crowder, etc. One SEC Title in his last 5 years after 5 in his first 7. He didn't want to hang on too long.

Zook was a reach & a panic move from the start.

As bad as Muschamp was in hindsight, I lay the "disrepair" at his and Meyer's feet, he was a hot commodity and looked to be a Stoops redux.

Machen was of course important but Foley had the lead in hiring Meyer. He gets credit for 2 football NCs.

Foley created a championship culture. What other AD in the country racked up championships like him? It's ridiculous.

Football did fall into disrepair, but also has 2 NC's (how many did that during Foley's tenure?) Bama, USC, Notre Dame and Oklahoma all went through periods - some extended - of "disrepair".

When I've asked "Who else?" should/could we have realistically hired after Meyer or Muschamp....crickets. I'd love to hear the alternatives.

So we'll see if Mac is able to repair it. I don't yet see the next obvious Meyer/Spurrier to hire.

Meyer will go up on the ring of honor and I suspect Foley might as well. Something significant will be done to honor him - and should.

Meyer may go up in the ring of honor, but I would never vote for that. He is an OSU person let him go up in their ring of honor.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Meyer may go up in the ring of honor, but I would never vote for that. He is an OSU person let him go up in their ring of honor.

I'm okay with meyer in our ROH about 8 yrs after he's retired from coaching... permanently. He might still move on to nd, texas and back to Utah before he's truly done, so no need to rush that decision.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Perfection is considered the enemy of good. Some also don't understand this either. Great points!!!
It works both way. In military terms, the perfect is the enemy of the good. Often the best move is rapid, violent decisive action now. The term is generally misused in other settings, especially decisions that are made over the course of a year or two.

However, in sports, the good is the enemy of the champion. No matter how much you like a good ole boy Mark Richt-lite coach, no Mark Rick like coach will ever be a champion. No amount of talent will ever overcome poor coaching.

If mediocre is your standard, or just providing a "championship experience/championship embarrassment" for the kids, I guess continue status quo.

My point has never been that any coach that can't win a championship in two years must be fired, as you silly guys try to paint it that way. However, it's easy to know what the soup will taste like just by seeing the ingredients. This guy has basically zero attributes of a champion coach. He literally isn't good at anything, offense, defense, special teams, recruiting, game day x's and o's. Nothing.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It works both way. In military terms, the perfect is the enemy of the good. Often the best move is rapid, violent decisive action now. The term is generally misused in other settings, especially decisions that are made over the course of a year or two.

However, in sports, the good is the enemy of the champion. No matter how much you like a good ole boy Mark Richt-lite coach, no Mark Rick like coach will ever be a champion. No amount of talent will ever overcome poor coaching.

If mediocre is your standard, or just providing a "championship experience/championship embarrassment" for the kids, I guess continue status quo.

My point has never been that any coach that can't win a championship in two years must be fired, as you silly guys try to paint it that way. However, it's easy to know what the soup will taste like just by seeing the ingredients. This guy has basically zero attributes of a champion coach. He literally isn't good at anything, offense, defense, special teams, recruiting, game day x's and o's. Nothing.
This is what pumpers don't get. They think it's being mean to fire a guy that's trying hard and doing "ok". I'd be willing to sit thruough a couple of 4-8 seasons IF the right guy was building the program for a championship run...instead of 4 losses a year forever more.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Disrepair, I can see, but if you really think the football program has been killed and turned to ashes...well, you're an idiot.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
By some reasoning in here John Wooden would have been fired before he became the greatest coach in collegiate history, I know they wear short pants but it is a real sport followed by baziillions of fans, His record in his 12th season at UCLA was 14-12. It took him 14 years to find that title and then the rest is history. Hell SOS took 6 years to win the title Urban did it in two and won twice as many national titles. This guy has coached 2 years. Beaten UGA twice. Won the east twice without a QB. Lets see if he can do better with a QB. But of course he is a fckn donkey teethed bowl of soup and his ingredients are obvious for all to see. Some knew it before he walked on campus. That is what is wrong with this fckn culture. I want it right now cause I deserve it and we are entitled to it. Lets once again put this into perspective. 95% of the other schools would trade place with UF to be able to say in the last dozen years they have 2 football titles, two basketball titles and 1 baseball title among many others in the "lessser" sports.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
By some reasoning in here John Wooden would have been fired before he became the greatest coach in collegiate history, I know they wear short pants but it is a real sport followed by baziillions of fans, His record in his 12th season at UCLA was 14-12. It took him 14 years to find that title and then the rest is history. Hell SOS took 6 years to win the title Urban did it in two and won twice as many national titles. This guy has coached 2 years. Beaten UGA twice. Won the east twice without a QB. Lets see if he can do better with a QB. But of course he is a fckn donkey teethed bowl of soup and his ingredients are obvious for all to see. Some knew it before he walked on campus. That is what is wrong with this fckn culture. I want it right now cause I deserve it and we are entitled to it. Lets once again put this into perspective. 95% of the other schools would trade place with UF to be able to say in the last dozen years they have 2 football titles, two basketball titles and 1 baseball title among many others in the "lessser" sports.

I agree completely. I wish some members of this board would stop being critics and resume being fans.

Oregon State and South Carolina each have 2 baseball championships in the last 12 years; no football or basketball championships.

North Carolina, Duke, and UConn each have 2 basketball championships in the last 12 years; no football or baseball championships.

Alabama has 4 football national championships in the last 12 years; no baseball or basketball championships.

With 2 football, 2 basketball, and 1 baseball we have been the premiere sports school in the country. We should feel blessed.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I like Sully...always have. Billy D is on our Mt Rushmore of all-time coaches. I give Foley credit where and when it is due. Foley isn't doing himself any favors by hanging around like he is...I mean he is basically acting AD with a puppet next to him. Football will always be king here. One day he'll be looked back on with great pride by everyone(for the most part). In the NOW, some folks blame him for the state of the football program. It is what it is...

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I like Sully...always have. Billy D is on our Mt Rushmore of all-time coaches. I give Foley credit where and when it is due. Foley isn't doing himself any favors by hanging around like he is...I mean he is basically acting AD with a puppet next to him. Football will always be king here. One day he'll be looked back on with great pride by everyone(for the most part). In the NOW, some folks blame him for the state of the football program. It is what it is...

So I guess SOS should go home as well. Both are there to raise all that money that many want us spending on facilities. And what objective evidence do you have that he is still in control. I bet none.

Yes he gets credit for all the positive things that happened and blame for those that were negative, but only some of each. After all he only does his part, not everything.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
So I guess SOS should go home as well. Both are there to raise all that money that many want us spending on facilities. And what objective evidence do you have that he is still in control. I bet none.

Yes he gets credit for all the positive things that happened and blame for those that were negative, but only some of each. After all he only does his part, not everything.

It would extremely naive to think Foley isn't majorly involved with the AP. It's not even worth an argument. SOS if fine in his fundraising. Name me some other ADs that are doing or did what Foley is doing? Maybe I'm totally wrong here. Give me some other examples and I will reconsider my position.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
It would extremely naive to think Foley isn't majorly involved with the AP. It's not even worth an argument. SOS if fine in his fundraising. Name me some other ADs that are doing or did what Foley is doing? Maybe I'm totally wrong here. Give me some other examples and I will reconsider my position.

I don't know and neither do you, he indicated he would give advice if asked and was involved in raising funds.

http://www.wruf.com/headlines/2016/10/31/jeremy-foley-officially-retires-ad-duties/

http://floridagators.com/news/2016/...rector-jeremy-foley-announces-retirement.aspx

Not to mention teaching some classes. http://editorsdesk.blogs.gatorsport...y-become-professor-practice-sport-leadership/

I generally believe people are telling the truth unless there is evidence. Now I do believe we hired a person with the same financial outlook because the administration wants that. We don't want to go into massive debt in some foolish war, that would be very stupid.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know and neither do you, he indicated he would give advice if asked and was involved in raising funds.

http://www.wruf.com/headlines/2016/10/31/jeremy-foley-officially-retires-ad-duties/

http://floridagators.com/news/2016/...rector-jeremy-foley-announces-retirement.aspx

Not to mention teaching some classes. http://editorsdesk.blogs.gatorsport...y-become-professor-practice-sport-leadership/

I generally believe people are telling the truth unless there is evidence. Now I do believe we hired a person with the same financial outlook because the administration wants that. We don't want to go into massive debt in some foolish war, that would be very stupid.

He's going to all the games with Stricklin! Are you joking? This isn't worth it. I have some great ocean front property in Arizona that has your name written all over it.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
He's going to all the games with Stricklin! Are you joking? This isn't worth it. I have some great ocean front property in Arizona that has your name written all over it.

Not interested I like Florida, now you laugh but that is basically nothing. He is a fan, he has a position as AD emitirus, of course he goes to all the games I would too. That does not mean he is a puppet master.

I got some great lake front property in Tennessee you might enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb