Football Walk ons

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
In the past we have walk ons that contributed in many ways. Some were vets that provided bodies and leadership, others various things, and some stars. Apparently we have some that the Sun thinks will contribute.

http://www.gatorsports.com/2018/06/daily-football-fix-walk-ons-ready-to-contribute-for-gators/

1. Umstead Sanders, LB, 6-foot-2, 240 pounds — The 15th-ranked linebacker coming out of the JUCO ranks, Sanders has committed to the Gators and is set to join the program as a preferred walk-on for the start of Summer B. The UF coaches did not recruit Sanders because his brother, running back Trey Sanders, is a five-star prospect among 2019 recruits. They did it because they watched his tape from Hinds Community College. He made plays all over the field, showing the relentless effort Dan Mullen is looking for. He has the size and the speed to bring instant depth to a position of need.
  2. Tanner Rowell, OL/DL, 6-2, 298 — Speaking of relentless effort, this kid really has it, to go along with great toughness. He plays a lot like his father, Tony Rowell, who may have been the toughest offensive lineman in the Steve Spurrier coaching era. Tony Rowell came to UF as a defensive tackle, but made the move to the offensive line. His son appears to be following the same path. Whether it’s on the offensive line or at defensive tackle, Tanner Rowell has shown he can more than hold his own on the practice field. He can help depth on both sides of the line.
  3. Danny Weldon, LB, 6-0, 225 — This former Tampa Catholic standout is another relentless effort guy, something he showed throughout the spring with his tenacity and toughness. He could provide depth at linebacker, where the Gators are down in numbers. It also seems almost a certainty that he will make a contribution on special teams, where effort is always a priority.
  4. Tyriek Hopkins, RB, 5-8, 178 — He’s undersized and the Gators have great depth at the running back position. But if the elusive Hopkins ever gets a chance, he might just make something happen. He’s been doing it on the practice field and in scrimmages the past two years, ripping off gains, sometimes against the No. 1 defense. Even if he doesn’t get any carries (he got one last year, against Vanderbilt), Hopkins could be a standout on special teams, where he played in six games last season.
  1. Nick Vilano, OL, 6-3, 312 — This preferred walk-on from Wellington has yet to play in a game, but he’s impressed his coaches and some of the UF defensive linemen with his tough, solid play on the scout team the past three seasons. He appears ready to contribute. He helps give the Gators some much-needed depth at offensive tackle positions.

Comment as you desire.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the article, Chief. Seems like us and a lot of teams in the past always had a handful of walk-ons that were solid contributors. Maybe I'm not remembering lately as well as I should, but seems like there aren't as many with the exception of special teams players. If so, I want to believe that in the past, better players who might not have been first cut scholarship guys might have preferred to walk-on just to get a shot a playing for their dream school :dunno:

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Maybe one of these guys can do what Louis Oliver did for the Gators. Sounds like some good prospects , Sanders could really help out own more than one way.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks for the article, Chief. Seems like us and a lot of teams in the past always had a handful of walk-ons that were solid contributors. Maybe I'm not remembering lately as well as I should, but seems like there aren't as many with the exception of special teams players. If so, I want to believe that in the past, better players who might not have been first cut scholarship guys might have preferred to walk-on just to get a shot a playing for their dream school :dunno:

The last two years we've had two walk-ons make significant contributions in RJ Raymond and Christian Garcia.

Raymond is on scholarship now and will make contributions on ST's. I'm interested to see Sanders play. He's a junior and has size, so I see no way he doesn't at least play ST's. The article says we have close to 40 walk-ons.

I'm impressed w/ the number of OL and DL walk-ons we have. That makes putting together a scout team easy. Many walk-ons are undersized LB's, DB's and WR's and 2 or 3 scout team QBs. Hard to find a quality OL or DL at the FBS level.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I think Tenn used like 3 of them as starters last season when injuries piled up. Mullen better get going in recruiting or we may see a few of them out there with some injuries.

What would be bad about that as long as they play to our standard?

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
God bless these kids for volunteering to help the program, provide fodder for the scholarship players, sweat, bleed, and hope for ONE shot of glory. Hopefully we get some blowout games that allow them to get a few snaps, energizes their effort to help out.

That said, we saw what a walk-on linebacker looked like last year, there is a reason they are walk-ons.. UF should never be in a position to have walk-ons playing in key moments, for extended periods. Like the paragraph above said, great for them to be giving it their all on a volunteer basis, but I hope to only see them in mop up duty or special teams.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
You would like our chances in SEC play with multiple walk-ons starting?

That depends on how they play, and at what position. I would be happy with them on special teams somewhat. Now they mostly might play on the scout team which is also a very important thing.

How many is Multiple??? Say three across the entire team?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
That depends on how they play, and at what position. I would be happy with them on special teams somewhat. Now they mostly might play on the scout team which is also a very important thing.

I've got no problem w/ a walk-on starting, if they're deserving. But let's not kid ourselves....if we're relying on walk-ons something went wrong.

On that note, Alabama started a walk-on at CB last year and he was a stud.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

I think 3 is the number Tenn was using near the end and they were one of the few teams worse than us I think.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I think 3 is the number Tenn was using near the end and they were one of the few teams worse than us I think.

But was that because of failures of those three, or other factors. Perhaps a combination. I don't follow Vole football enough to know, what I do know, or perhaps hope, is that any walk on who plays is the best alternative available.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not to knock these guys and I hope some pan out and are good enough to play, but when I see "relentless effort" describing a walk on I see 'heart but no talent". And they used "relentless effort" to describe 3 of those 5 guys listed.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Not to knock these guys and I hope some pan out and are good enough to play, but when I see "relentless effort" describing a walk on I see 'heart but no talent". And they used "relentless effort" to describe 3 of those 5 guys listed.

I seem to recall that "relentless effort" is something our new coach has said as a core principal of his team. I also recall a quote from Tim that values hard work over just talent that does not work that hard. Even if these individuals only put pressure on more talented individuals to work hard that is very valuable. It is a team game in many dimensions, you don't just win with the best players who are say selfish and only care about their NFL career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.