For all the Florida recruits who want to play up north.....

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Enjoy the winters and days like these....we are expecting 10 inches of snow today...this is a picture from my balcony...if you have been to Chicago, that clear road is Lake Shore Drive...and the snow cover areas between LSD and Lake Michigan is Waveland golf course....hope you are having ****y weather in Florida today you bastards!

Last time I checked football's regularly scheduled season ended over two months ago. Not many Ice Bowls played in college and football played in cool daytime autumnal weather is awesome. I love the Florida winter weather here in central Florida but those high humidity/temperature early season games are less than optimal playing conditions. I attended training at Great Lakes NS and know how bitterly cold the winter wind off Lake Michigan can be. Find a fireplace and a warm body to huddle up with.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
20180209_112303-jpg.8744

Hell, I can't even see the yardline marks.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don't mind the cold as much if it's sunny, but if you start throwing in constant overcast skies and snow, f*ck that. :shakehead:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, that's me. I work outside here in NE Fl and don't tell me it doesn't get miserably cold with the amount of humidity that's involved. The difference between a 40 degree damp, cloudy day and a 40 degree sunny day is huge.

SCColaGator

Dec 31, 2016
I spent about a quarter of each year in NY from around 2002 to about 2012, so I've seen and "lived in" some of the worst conditions. But as a Floridian, I always said the winters weren't even the biggest issue. Snow's a problem to deal with at times, but I actually like the cold--for a defined period. To me, it was the random cold snaps and occasional snow that happened in April and even May that sucked the worst. The years where Spring was almost nonexistent and you only had a couple of months before it got cold again were what I really didn't like. And that was NY, which is tame compared to the midwest. The constant gray skies alone would be maddening.

The cold and snow are not that bad. They get annoying, but the hard part is the gray. It is super depressing. Add that to dark when you get to work and dark when you leave work in the winter and it becomes unbearable.

For instance out west SLC or Denver it is not nearly as bad. Blue sky’s and snow is actually pretty awesome.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Some of my best memories of Chicago as a kid are of playing hockey in subzero temps. I was up there two years ago today. No freaking way.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Some of my best memories of Chicago as a kid are of playing hockey in subzero temps. I was up there two years ago today. No freaking way.
people laugh and say there is no science behind "your blood thinning out" or whatever, but I swear when was living in Florida and went north even in late august I would FREEZE even wearing sweatshirts or jackets.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
The thought of shoveling snow just so I can get in my car and drive away sounds miserable. I'll take 95 deg w/ 80% humidity over shoveling snow and icy roads all day.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
people laugh and say there is no science behind "your blood thinning out" or whatever, but I swear when was living in Florida and went north even in late august I would FREEZE even wearing sweatshirts or jackets.
The coldest I have ever felt was in Boston in February. Wind, cold and moisture from the Atlantic. It cut through you like a knife.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The coldest I have ever felt was in Boston in February. Wind, cold and moisture from the Atlantic. It cut through you like a knife.
My crazy exwife was from Wisconsin and had family up around I Falls. Ho lee fuk man. -30 with incredible wind.

They used to say in military survival courses that there is nothing worse than 33 with a big wind.

I don't know. Your nose hairs froze immediately. Any sort of extended exposure could result in death (say if you slid off the road on a rural highway, punctured your radiator and didn't have heat). We didn't have several cellphones and gps back then.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My crazy exwife was from Wisconsin and had family up around I Falls. Ho lee fuk man. -30 with incredible wind.

They used to say in military survival courses that there is nothing worse than 33 with a big wind.

I don't know. Your nose hairs froze immediately. Any sort of extended exposure could result in death (say if you slid off the road on a rural highway, punctured your radiator and didn't have heat). We didn't have several cellphones and gps back then.
Yeah, those are some crazy temps. They're so cold they sting more than feel cold.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There were a bunch of articles floating around last month when it got super cold in Florida for a week...it's real.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The cold and snow are not that bad. They get annoying, but the hard part is the gray. It is super depressing. Add that to dark when you get to work and dark when you leave work in the winter and it becomes unbearable.

For instance out west SLC or Denver it is not nearly as bad. Blue sky’s and snow is actually pretty awesome.
I spent time in RI and Mass last winter. 4 months and I think I saw the sun 4-5 times. Overcast, dreary, rainy,snowy. On the 2 days it was sunny, the wind was blowing like a hurricane. Typical Saturday a.m. - Put all your thermals, jackets/gloves on. Get up, shovel snow, go out in the cold and crank up the car to warm up. Start sweating before the shoveling is over. Get in the car and 10 mins later you're sweating again. Then get out and walk to the grocery store and get cold again. Then go inside the grocery store and start sweating after 10 mins.
Rinse and repeat.

**** that ****. No way. There isn't enough salary in the world.

Lobster was good, though.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
Born and raised on a dairy farm on the St Lawrence River in Northern New York. Seen the thermometer at 52 deg below zero, seen 16 feet of snow on the ground..Still had to milk cows every 12 hours... I left in the middle of January 1964, 6 weeks after my 18th birthday.
Only went back in July or August..

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I can attest it's true. I've lived back down in Florida for a little over 6 years after growing up mainly up north where we actually had cold winters with snow, and it never phased me. I went up to DC in March for a weekend and it got down into the 20's, I was MISERABLE. Growing up, I would have been fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.